Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual Guide
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 7/14/11 7:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual Guide (Bry)

: Finally got mine delivered this morning and had a flick through it.
: I must say, its certainly a lot nicer than the Encyclopedia, though I do find
: myself craving larger articles. Two pages per entry rather than one would
: have been nice, but you take what you can get!

: Have to admit, I was a bit giddy seeing the confirmation about the size of
: the CSO -class Carrier, ie the Covenant Super Carrier. Looks like I
: underestimated it slightly with 27km, but given the rather primitive
: methods I used, I was pretty darn close!

: One very very minor thing I would point out would be the Falcon designations.
: UH-144A for attack and UH-144S for Support?
: A part of me can't help but feel that if we are going to use current
: real-world designations as used by the US military like UH (ie, Utility
: Helicopter) we should use them the same way.
: That would make the more likely designations be AH-144 (Attack Helicopter)
: and UH-144 (Utility Helicopter).
: In the same way that the attack version of the UH-1 Iroquois (the Huey) is
: the AH-1 Cobra (they look quite different, but share 80% commonality).

: Letters following a designation have nothing to do with the function in
: American parlance and are more an indication of the variants age.
: Using the F-15 for example: F-15A - First variant, air superiority, single
: seat.
: F-15B - Combat capable trainer variant of the F-15A, two seat.
: F-15C - Second variant, air superiority, single seat
: F-15D - Combat capable trainer variant of the F-15C, two seat
: F-15E - Third variant, multi-role fighter bomber, two seat.

: Of course, what's done is done and its not really a complaint. I just wonder
: why we get a mishmash. =p

Three pages would have been better than two as well. :) The book is primarily a "visual" guide. I'm astonished at the amount of text we were allowed to pack in. There are some entries that were re-written just to get more words and detail in it.

Canon is canon, first of all, so the book is constrained to follow it. The designations for the Falcons are from Bungie and since already established, the Visual Guide made use of them. They were first in the Reach game manual I think.

Your method of determining the size of the supercarrier was similar to mine. I just had slightly better resources to do it. Your method was sound. I had your number in mind though, I just couldn't get it down to that. I'm not even keen on how big it is in the first place, but math is math. :)

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 4:31 p.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 4:40 p.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 4:40 p.m.
                 Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 4:48 p.m.
                       Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 4:54 p.m.
                             Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 5:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 5:27 p.m.
                                         Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 5:46 p.m.
                                               Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 5:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 6:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/5/11 7:26 p.m.
     Just curiousTDSpiral 7/5/11 6:11 p.m.
           Re: Just curiousCaptainTony 7/5/11 6:19 p.m.
                 Ah, I see. Thanks! *NM*TDSpiral 7/5/11 6:36 p.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/5/11 7:20 p.m.
     Had it for a few days nowSl'askia 7/5/11 10:49 p.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual Guidevociferous 7/5/11 11:09 p.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/6/11 6:31 a.m.
                 Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideDEEP NNN 7/6/11 6:51 a.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/6/11 11:43 a.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/14/11 6:39 a.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 7:02 a.m.
                 Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/14/11 7:23 a.m.
                       Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 12:26 p.m.
                             Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/14/11 4:54 p.m.
                                   Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 5:03 p.m.
                                         Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideGeneral Vagueness 7/14/11 5:24 p.m.
                                               Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 6:43 p.m.
                                         Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/15/11 5:34 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.