Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Interesting *Deus Ex 1 spoilers*
Posted By: Moorpheusl9 <moorpheus_19@hotmail.co.uk>Date: 7/4/11 12:43 p.m.

In Response To: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis... (General Battuta)

Excellent read first off - good points raised throughout that have certainly been on my mind recently.

I won't make comment on Crysis 2 or Warhammer having never played either.

For anyone who wants to see the JC/Morpheus conversation from Deus Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwfIhvRtNw

The transhumanism argument is one that interests me greatly, having been introduced to it via Deus Ex (and is one of the many reasons why I'm stoked to play Human Revolution).

The ultimate question to be answered is when does one cease to be human? When our bodies have been upgraded so far past their natural limit (as MC was prior to even obtaining MJOLNIR)? Or when we lose the ability to think for ourselves, either due to AI interaction as previously mentioned, or due to individual upgrades applied to a body?

Personally, free will is what defines humanity (how much of that we have and the level of control the average citizen has is a discussion for another day). Of course, free will can also be dangerous and so AI interaction, as demonstrated in Deus Ex, can bring about positive change if the path of humanity continues towards destruction.

Morpheus (in Deus Ex) states: "The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms."

This basically introduces the player to Helios without them realising it because, to me, Helios (once the merge with JC occurs) represents God - Deus Ex Machina (God from the machine).

However, it could be argued that Helios removes a sense of control/free will from humanity and so therefore, are we really human anymore?

It's an interesting discussion - with no easy answers. With regards to the future, it's hard to tell exactly what path we'll take.

Message Index

Replies:

Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis...General Battuta 7/3/11 9:49 p.m.
     aaaaaarghGeneral Battuta 7/3/11 9:50 p.m.
           Re: aaaaaarghHedgemony 7/3/11 11:47 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.ZackDark 7/3/11 10:18 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/3/11 10:25 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.davidfuchs 7/4/11 11:37 a.m.
                       "That's not what I meant to say!"Leisandir 7/4/11 1:34 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/4/11 11:36 p.m.
     Where my pretentiousness becomes unbearableDagoonite 7/4/11 1:52 a.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/4/11 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/4/11 11:39 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 12:36 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Bry 7/5/11 12:51 p.m.
                             Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 1:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Quirel 7/6/11 12:37 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Bry 7/5/11 6:47 a.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 12:18 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.yakaman 7/4/11 11:17 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Evador 7/5/11 11:17 a.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.yakaman 7/6/11 12:17 a.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Evador 7/6/11 12:39 p.m.
     Interesting *Deus Ex 1 spoilers*Moorpheusl9 7/4/11 12:43 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Ynation913 7/4/11 6:04 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Leisandir 7/4/11 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Ynation913 7/4/11 8:19 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.uberfoop 7/4/11 9:06 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Vagueness 7/5/11 4:59 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/5/11 5:13 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/5/11 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/5/11 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/5/11 10:48 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/6/11 2:50 p.m.
                             Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/7/11 2:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 10/7/11 11:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.