Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Looks like the fires are out...
Posted By: Louis Wu <halo@bungie.org>Date: 6/30/11 9:45 a.m.

In Response To: Olive Branch? (bryan newman)

I was busy compiling newsposts for the day, so I missed much of the bile, but I had one small suggestion that folks might want to think about:

Words matter.

The post from bryan, the one that set off the flames, was titled

"How did I know Aerospace would disappoint?"

With the addition of ONE SMALL WORD, I think an awful lot of the kneejerk reaction to his post might have been avoided...

"How did I know Aerospace would disappoint me?"

You may say "come on, it's one word!" Yeah - it is. But it's the difference between a general statement that applies to you even if you don't agree with it, and a personal opinion.

I've been trying (and failing) for months to convince Cody Miller that the words he chooses to put forth his arguments often make more noise than the arguments themselves - he seems to disagree, and so we continue to get unnecessarily provocative posts from him.

This is a case where the title of a post brought up an INSTANT reaction from me - raised my hackles, so to speak - because it DIDN'T disappoint; it was one of the coolest things I'd read in a long time. If the tiny two-letter word had been tacked on to the end of it, I wouldn't have even raised my eyebrows; I can certainly see where SOME folks, especially folks who don't really care about mobile or social gaming, might be disappointed. But that disappointment wouldn't affect ME, personally, because it would be clear that he wasn't trying to speak for me.

The reaction was way, way too fast to be conscious - that's my point to Cody, too. It's not about adding "in my opinion" to the end of every sentence - it's about wording things in a way that doesn't make people want to punch you in the face.

Again, something to think about. If you feel it doesn't/shouldn't apply to you, ignore it.

Message Index

Replies:

Olive Branch?bryan newman 6/30/11 8:48 a.m.
     Quick! The landsharks are circling!Jillybean 6/30/11 8:54 a.m.
           Re: Quick! The landsharks are circling!JDQuackers 6/30/11 8:56 a.m.
     Can we all cut this shit out please!?Elzarthebam 6/30/11 9:06 a.m.
           Re: Can we all cut this shit out please!?Schedonnardus 6/30/11 9:11 a.m.
           Re: Can we all cut this shit out please!?bryan newman 6/30/11 9:11 a.m.
           Agreed.GrimBrother One 6/30/11 9:17 a.m.
     Done.Revenant1988 6/30/11 9:18 a.m.
           Re: Done.bryan newman 6/30/11 9:22 a.m.
                 Re: Done.Buttskunk 6/30/11 10:10 a.m.
     Looks like the fires are out...Louis Wu 6/30/11 9:45 a.m.
           Re: Looks like the fires are out...Sqorck 6/30/11 9:59 a.m.
           Re: Looks like the fires are out...Buttskunk 6/30/11 10:05 a.m.
                 This made me laugh a little too much. *NM*Louis Wu 6/30/11 10:09 a.m.
                 Things are about to get violent!ElzarTheBam 6/30/11 10:25 a.m.
                       Cannot unsee! *NM* *NM*masugn 6/30/11 10:30 a.m.
                       GoddammitMyyke 6/30/11 10:30 a.m.
                             What... have i created! *NM*ElzarTheBam 6/30/11 10:31 a.m.
                             Re: Goddammitpadraig08 6/30/11 10:53 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.