Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

All really special decade. Sorta Alls Well Writeu
Posted By: nofDate: 5/27/11 2:26 p.m.

I've had this writeup in my head for a long time now. Its not the usual chronological of travel madness and gametype insanity that most of you have read before. Now that the current era of Wu lans is coming to a close I feel like I need to finally express the thoughts that have been swimming around my brain for a while.

My own personal life over the past decade has been tumultuous. There have been ups, downs and a whole lot of sideways. I don't want to say my life is bad or compare hard knocks with anyone. We've all battled similar fights and had the box of chocolates melted and thrown in our face from time to time.

The difference between my path through life and many others is I've been part of an amazing experience where gamertags, irc chat and forum screen names have become lifelong friends. Were geographic political, spiritual and personal hygeine differences never got in the way of lasting bonds and affection.

HBO LANs and the people who attend them are a rock in my life. A anchor holding my ship from smashing into the shore. It seemed whenever the excrement was hitting the rotating blades a weekend of halo and laughter with the finest individuals I've ever known popped up and boosted an otherwise less than ideal experience.

Jim, the guy with the camera, kept asking "what is your fondest Halo memory" and it truly difficult to come up with a singular moment. Saying hugging the friend you haven't seen in 2 years probably wouldn't have worked well on camera. There was a point playing Halo downstairs last weekend where I was just absolutely choking with laughter side by side with people I truly care about. That was the moment Jim. There have been hundreds if not thousands of them and thats what made the HBO LANs special.

10 years ago a friend and I were sitting around and trying to solve the boring weekend problem and a random click sent us to the Bungie.net website. We found some old dude was having a LAN at his house 40 minutes away and decided to go. 11 of us where there that day. That random click resulted in a series of experiences that have made such an impact on my life I really don't want to imagine what my life would have been like without it.

Thanks to all you LANers, its been a really really special decade.

-----

And now some more humorous tales from the past 10 years:

- Defending the Hill in the Green Room on Lockout. KP was there facing away from me. I say "hey KP, turn around", he does and I plant a sticky on his face killing us and almost my entire team. It was worth it.

- During a LAN at my apartment watching my roommate with her hot ass crawl under a projector to get to her room.

- HBOBP is so awesome.

- CTF on Longest with the entire team marching in a single file. I start saying "hut hut hut hut hut" and everybody joins in.

- Pubechin is teh seks.

- Singing Ride of the Valkyrie during the offensive start of one flag Zanzibar matches with my team with everybody in Vehicles.

- Hearing Wu scream "Who's killing me, I DONT EVEN HAVE THE ODDBALL" during a oddball FFA game.

- Driving 16 hours with Jynx go to Halo 50k in Atlanta, the first big Halo tournament.

- Waking up to Furhman singing Mudvayne in this beautiful gospel voice.

- Picking random and insane gametypes which everybody groans about and then has fun anyway.

- Watching Akira in a Subaru doing 90 mph on I95 with Claude, the driver, watching.

- The complete insanity of playing Legendary co-op with Mig. His strategy "CHARGE!"

- pR@ncer!11

- Lighting the inside of Wu's grill on fire with Stuntmutt. Oops.

- Out pistoling Juggler. I swear it happened once.

- Telling Konrads Mom everything would be ok at one of my LANs for 15 minutes and getting mad my beer was getting warm.

- Many many others.

Message Index

Replies:

All really special decade. Sorta Alls Well Writeunof 5/27/11 2:26 p.m.
     You make me want to do this more. *NM*Louis Wu 5/27/11 2:50 p.m.
     Re: All really special decade. Sorta Alls Well WriMiguel Chavez 5/27/11 3:46 p.m.
           Re: All really special decade. Sorta Alls Well Wrimnemesis 5/27/11 4:42 p.m.
           *Applauds* *wipes tear from eye* *applauds* *NM*ncsuDuncan 5/27/11 5:16 p.m.
           The mask really sells it. Beautiful. *NM*padraig08 5/27/11 5:20 p.m.
           I'm so glad I clicked this first. *NM*KP 5/27/11 5:59 p.m.
           Lawrence Olivier weepsKermit 5/27/11 6:03 p.m.
           I love youJillybean 5/27/11 8:06 p.m.
           *applauds*nof 5/27/11 9:56 p.m.
     Re: All really special decade. Sorta Alls Well WriMa1agate 5/27/11 3:48 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.