Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!
Posted By: FyreWulff <mkidder@gmail.com>Date: 3/5/11 9:34 p.m.

I know it's kind of awkward to post this update right after the good words from the Classic Customs night, but I -did- have this version up on my fileshare for a while, and remembered I hadn't publicized it here yet, because I hadn't gotten off my butt and updated it to support Bro Slayer and Skirmish yet. This has been rectified.

Download R.A.T. Lab from Bungie.net

What's new?

Map Name Change
- In deference to the original map's authors and Bungie's tradition of not re-using the original map's name in a remake, the map has been renamed from R.A.T. Race to R.A.T. Lab

Performance
- Dramatic object count reduction to improve performance for split screen. Over 20 objects were removed from the upper base alone, while retaining the same layout.

Gametype Bug Fixes and Changes
- A gigantic unlabeled Spawn zone was present, effecting all team gametypes including Slayer, which was not intended. This has been fixed - teams now properly spawn next to each other in Team Slayer.
- Camo and Overshield have been made FFA only, and are not present in team games.
- Red base and Blue base were in opposite places than the original map. This has been fixed in both the gametype objects and the geometry coloring.
- Active camo respawn time now 120 seconds instead of 60
- Overshield respawn time now 120 seconds instead of 60
- Shotgun respawn time increased

Gametype support
- Added support for Bro Slayer
- Added support for Elite Skirmish, Spartan Skirmish, and Invasion Skirmish.
- Added support for Rally Race / Rocket Race
- Hills updated to mimic the original Rat Race's hills 1:1 and properly numbered for use in Crazy King / Move in Order updates

Geometry changes
- The "Trough"/"Canal" has been restored to the second floor, along with the ceiling above it thanks to performance and budget savings elsewhere.

Before:

After:

- In order to protect some spawns in higher player count scenarios, cover was added throughout the map to make being killed on spawn occur less. I felt this was needed to make it more fun in Reach, and since they're not 'solid' geometry it's still Rat Race. Of course, you're free to delete the cover for your own local version if you do not like it.

- Blocked off teleporters in Oddball in order to speed up Ball gametypes and keep it from becoming "jump through the porter over and over again"

- Some geometry added and adjusted to make the map more visually appealing and less of a death tube.

fyrewulff dot com

Message Index

Replies:

R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!FyreWulff 3/5/11 9:34 p.m.
     Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!SonGoharotto 3/5/11 10:48 p.m.
           Btw...SonGoharotto 3/5/11 10:50 p.m.
           Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!FyreWulff 3/5/11 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!Hyokin 3/5/11 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!SonGoharotto 3/6/11 8:46 a.m.
                       Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!FyreWulff 3/6/11 1:42 p.m.
     Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!Schooly D 3/5/11 11:18 p.m.
           Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!FyreWulff 3/6/11 1:22 a.m.
     Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!Beckx 3/6/11 8:41 a.m.
     Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!General Vagueness 3/6/11 3:13 p.m.
           Re: R.A.T. Lab - Rat Race remake, updated!FyreWulff 3/6/11 6:44 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.