Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 1/13/11 5:31 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs* (Gravemind)

: Actually, it's the tidal forces that are responsible for Io's vulcanism. The
: magnetic field and resultant massive radition belts have nothing to do
: with it, though they do make the environment in space around Jupiter and
: the surface of the Jovian moons very hazardous. In fact, Io's surface
: (well, anything not covered in fresh lava) has a temperature just as cold
: as Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto's.

: That being said, if a gas giant has a sufficiently large moon, said moon can
: retain enough heat to have a structure similar to Earth's and could thus
: potentially generate a magnetic field of its own (convection currents in
: its outer core as well as some rotation deriving from its orbit) to stave
: off the intense Jovian radiation.

What of habitability? Large forces playing together to cancel out the bad stuff doesn't mean life will find it pleasant. Could be more tectonically active for one.

An iron core would be needed, plus subsurface convection for a magnetic field, correct?

Read in a fact book ages ago that Io spews out enough volcanic material to coat the entire moon after a time (centuries?) and given enough time, figuratively at least, turns itself inside out. Not a vacation spot.

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

Which is which - Csodaszarvas, Turul?Leviathan 1/11/11 2:45 p.m.
     Re: Which is which - Csodaszarvas, Turul?BlueNinja 1/11/11 5:31 p.m.
     Speaking of Reach's moons.Gravemind 1/11/11 5:46 p.m.
           Re: Speaking of Reach's moons.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/11 9:41 p.m.
                 Re: Speaking of Reach's moons.Gravemind 1/11/11 11:02 p.m.
                       Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*BlueNinja 1/12/11 5:28 a.m.
                             Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 6:42 a.m.
                                   Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Hawaiian Pig 1/12/11 7:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*DEEP NNN 1/12/11 8:06 a.m.
                                         Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 8:23 a.m.
                             Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 6:53 a.m.
                                   Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Archilen 1/12/11 8:59 a.m.
                                         Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 9:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Leviathan 1/12/11 10:42 a.m.
                                                     Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 11:08 a.m.
                                                           Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*scarab 1/12/11 11:18 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 1:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*scarab 1/13/11 1:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/13/11 7:05 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Archilen 1/13/11 8:15 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*scarab 1/13/11 2:34 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Gravemind 1/13/11 4:30 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/13/11 5:31 p.m.
                                                           On a related noteArchilen 1/13/11 8:22 a.m.
                                                                 Re: On a related noteStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/13/11 9:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*BlueNinja 1/12/11 11:14 a.m.
                                                           Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/11 12:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Speaking of Reach's moons. *IMGs*Archilen 1/12/11 1:16 p.m.
           That's no moon!scarab 1/12/11 7:44 a.m.
                 Re: That's no moon!Gravemind 1/12/11 12:05 p.m.
                       Re: That's no moon!scarab 1/13/11 12:38 a.m.
     I'm trying to find out for you *NM*GrimBrother One 1/11/11 7:02 p.m.
           Giving Jerome a twenty to sneak by, eh? *NM*Leviathan 1/11/11 9:42 p.m.
                 I've got your answer, Levi...GrimBrother One 1/12/11 2:35 p.m.
                       Wow, straight from the horses mouth!Leviathan 1/12/11 3:18 p.m.
                       You are my hero! ;) *NM*ElusiveEagle519 1/12/11 5:34 p.m.
                       Re: I've got your answer, Levi...Archilen 1/13/11 8:10 a.m.
                             Re: I've got your answer, Levi...GrimBrother One 1/13/11 1:17 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got your answer, Levi...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/13/11 1:57 p.m.
                                         *SP*adesnash--housewares 1/13/11 2:17 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got your answer, Levi...scarab 1/13/11 2:16 p.m.
                                         Re: I've got your answer, Levi...SonofMacPhisto 1/13/11 5:39 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.