Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodes
Posted By: Means of Eternal Life <dswensdly@hotmail.com>Date: 2/14/10 7:56 p.m.

In Response To: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodes (Vincent)

: What's this? Did the UK get something before America? Blasphemy!

: Origins 2 - definately one of my favourites. Mainly because it was just scene
: after scene of cool stuff happening. Also, that one scene with the nuke
: and the piano in the background was beautiful.

: Prototype - liked the art in this. It didn't try and do anything clever like
: be a watercolour or be 3d, it was just sweet, sweet animation and hot
: mecha action. I felt it was a bit short, though.

: Homecoming - okay, didn't see that twist coming. Nicely done. Again, I liked
: the more traditional animation in this one. I also liked Halsey's
: portrayal as Mysterious Overlord.

: Odd One Out - very silly :) Not a massive fan of this one, but then I suspect
: I'm a little outside it's target audience.

: Bonus content - the making of episodes were definately interesting, but my
: favourite extra content was the "history of the halo universe"
: thing, with the commentary a close second. Both very informative, and both
: with gratuitous amounts of Frank.

: Overall I'm very satisfied with Legends, and I feel like it's going to be
: something I'll find it very easy to go back and watch again.

I concur on the episodes. I'm glad I preordered it, even if my copy won't be Blu-Ray. Not to worry, though. I'll be happy to add it to my collection. It's been many years since I added something to my DVD collection that was anime.

As for the content of the episodes, I have to say that I was surprised by how well done they were. For Prototype and Homecoming, those really came across very well, and knowing the studios involved, Bones and Production I.G., I'm not surprised. The effectiveness of them is something that usually comes in a full-length movie, a 13 or 26 episode series, not something you'd expect from a mere 12 to 15 minutes.

Not bad at all. Very good in fact. I also liked Origins Parts I and II; they definitely gave a greater level of context than I have seen with the franchise before, even if they did mix in depictions of specific events with symbolic and hyperbolic presentations. For someone not familiar with that style, it can be confusing or upsetting, but if you understand it, it flows perfectly.

From that and Prototype, however, I have a few points of curiousity;

*Were the various Flood forms seen in Origins Part I simply artistic flourishes and representations, or do they represent permutations or advancements of the known Advanced and Pure Forms?

*The Infection Forms apparently possessed the capacity for flight; is this an advanced-stage capability, or just another artistic touch and flourish?

*The Forerunner clothing and supposed "Combat Skins"; do the Forerunners wear them in the traditional sense of armor and clothing, or is it something more exotic, like something bonded to their flesh and whatever internal augmentations they have? Are they at least partially biomechanical beings, cyborgs, or a mix inbetween?

*The Prototype suit; is it a bit of a revisiting of the MJOLNIR Marks I-III, given that the prototype and those suits were usable by normal Humans? Are there any images that exist that show us what the Marks I, II, and III actually looked like?

I remember that Ensemble had designed a canonically-accurate depiction of the Mark I for Halo Wars before scrapping it in favor of the Cyclops because it looked to much like a Spartan in MJOLNIR Mark IV. Is this or similar imagery appropriate for public consumption, or is it put aside for some future project?

Another question I have about the early non-used MJOLNIR suits is, were they effectively mini-mech suits, or were they similar to the Sarco exoskeletons revealed last year in that company's public display of the suits? It would be interesting to see how they would compare to a human in size; for would they be more along the lines of a streamlined power-loader suit, or genuine mechanical framework around a human body?

Message Index

Replies:

Legends out on Tuesday!GrimBrother One 2/13/10 9:28 p.m.
     Re: Legends out on Tuesday!TDSpiral 2/13/10 9:56 p.m.
           Re: Legends out on Tuesday!Frankie 2/13/10 10:21 p.m.
                 Re: Legends out on Tuesday!Frankie 2/13/10 10:24 p.m.
                       Re: Legends out on Tuesday!L3giticus 2/13/10 10:42 p.m.
                       My Neighbor Mister Chiefxoools 2/13/10 11:11 p.m.
                             Death Grunt *NM*rolandk73 2/13/10 11:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Death GruntFrankie 2/13/10 11:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Death GruntGrimBrother One 2/13/10 11:48 p.m.
                       Re: Legends out on Tuesday!FireDragon04 2/14/10 3:51 a.m.
                 Re: Legends out on Tuesday!Phoenix_9286 2/14/10 12:48 a.m.
                       Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesVincent 2/14/10 3:54 a.m.
                             Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesFrankie 2/14/10 11:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesVincent 2/14/10 11:13 a.m.
                                         Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesPhoenix_9286 2/14/10 12:16 p.m.
                             Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesMeans of Eternal Life 2/14/10 7:56 p.m.
                             Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesArchilen 2/15/10 12:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesFrankie 2/15/10 11:23 a.m.
                                         Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesArchilen 2/15/10 11:38 a.m.
                                               Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesFrankie 2/15/10 12:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesPhoenix_9286 2/15/10 12:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesFrankie 2/15/10 12:45 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesPhoenix_9286 2/15/10 4:14 p.m.
                                                           Re: Spoiler-free thoughts on the new episodesBry 2/15/10 3:59 p.m.
                                                     You mean for after Ghosts Of Onyx 2, right? ;-) *NM*GrimBrother One 2/16/10 9:48 p.m.
                             Warning: Spoilers in the Spoiler Free postsMetalingus627 2/15/10 4:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Warning: Spoilers in the Spoiler Free postsVincent 2/16/10 3:10 a.m.
     Re: Legends out on Tuesday!Bry 2/15/10 4:23 p.m.
     Okay, so I have a questionInnerRayg 2/16/10 9:34 p.m.
           It's addressed in the commentary.rolandk73 2/16/10 9:45 p.m.
                 Re: It's addressed in the commentary.InnerRayg 2/16/10 9:58 p.m.
           Re: Okay, so I have a questionFrankie 2/16/10 10:30 p.m.
                 Re: Okay, so I have a questionrolandk73 2/16/10 10:40 p.m.
                       Re: Okay, so I have a questionInnerRayg 2/17/10 1:01 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, so I have a questionZerowind117 2/18/10 11:56 a.m.
                 Re: Okay, so I have a questionAndrew Nagy 2/17/10 12:34 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, so I have a questionDocument 2/19/10 2:44 p.m.
                             Didn't mean to post as Document there *NM*Andrew Nagy 2/19/10 2:44 p.m.
                 Re: Okay, so I have a questionMetalingus627 2/17/10 3:50 a.m.
                       Actually...rolandk73 2/17/10 8:05 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...Leisandir 2/17/10 10:57 a.m.
                                   Norolandk73 2/17/10 1:10 p.m.
                 Re: Okay, so I have a questionXmoosev3 2/17/10 9:35 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, so I have a questionTDSpiral 2/17/10 10:17 a.m.
                 Re: Okay, so I have a questionDocument 2/17/10 10:37 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, so I have a questionMetalingus627 2/17/10 10:49 a.m.
                             Re: Okay, so I have a questionDocument 2/17/10 6:25 p.m.
                                   Re: Okay, so I have a questionMetalingus627 2/18/10 1:59 p.m.
                 Re: Okay, so I have a questionMeans of Eternal Life 2/18/10 8:29 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.