glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers?
Posted By: RyanTheHereticDate: 3/3/09 5:34 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers? (gspawn)

: Me too. Canon concerns abounded, etc. I'm just wading into this game
: (starting literally right now), but here's some info.

: It's been getting 8+ish reviews all around. Not bad at all. From the pack-in
: comic and such, it seems to have a very high regard for canon. There's a
: timeline accessible in-game that's pretty authentic.

: The in-game chatter will warm the heart of any fan, and the cutscenes aren't
: that bad. Remember- Halo has never exactly been known for originality.
: (especially since I just read the Starhammer / Vang series... rowley can
: has flud)

: Seems to be.

: They're actually just an environmental hazard more than anything- they're not
: playable.

Hmm, I absolutely HATED it for a while. I was stupidly hostile towards it.

Once I played the demo though, my heart melted.

I stopped looking at it like a novel or expansion to the trilogy, and as a seperate game. It works really well and is great fun.

I'm still bothered by:

-The uniform faction colour schemes which are the wrong shades (sickly green for the UNSC and pink Covenant Elites spring to mind) :\

-The general arcade-y feel to the game... not in terms of gameplay, but every OTHER aspect of it. The music has guitar bits, the Elites have been made to look like hulking creatures with fangs, etc. They've blown everything out of proportion, which, in game, is acceptable, but in cutscenes, looks a little "whaaa-?"

-The new units just do not gel with me at all. I find them totally out of place. I would have replaced Flamethrowers with Snipers- same gameplay mechanic, just longer ranged, taken out the Cobra because it's simply totally not-Halo (it's literally a StarCraft siege tank) and also the Vampire. I just do not feel they belong in a Halo game.

-Lastly, the voice acting. I personally find it atrocious. By far the worst aspect to the game. The Brutes and Elites are completely over the top nasty sounding evil aliens, and it ruins it. I'm not a fan of the American UNSC either... I *REALLY* wish they'd brought back the Australian, Spanish/Mexican voice actors etc for some of the Halo Wars units. Hearing gruff Americans deliver near all of the unit lines is a little ":\". I don't have a problem with American or the accent (it's actually pretty cool to be fair) but for the UNITED NATIONS Space Command it sure comes across as pretty You-Ess of Eh sometimes. Depends who you talk to I guess- others won't notice this.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I LOVE Halo Wars now. It's great fun.

But, I look at games such as Dawn of War, and notice the faithful-to-the-letter, and SERIOUS attitude towards the source material. I wish Halo had a DoW-esque game, one which showed the visciousness and brutality of the events in the fiction. I'm not talking "serious" as in dark colours, lots of blood and swearing, I'm just talking serious as in realistic characters, no cartoony units or silly witty lines. I want to hear HIGHCOM referenced, receive orders from ONI, command awesome space battles with captains requesting orders as plasma streaks towards them. Haha. That game will never happen, but it does make me realise how the cartoony feel Ensemble have gone for is actually a disservice to their game ultimately.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars review- from former non believers?The More Deluded 3/3/09 4:41 p.m.
     Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers?gspawn 3/3/09 4:59 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers?Bry 3/3/09 5:24 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers?RyanTheHeretic 3/3/09 5:34 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers?grantix 3/3/09 6:08 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars review- from former non believers?RyanTheHeretic 3/4/09 5:02 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.