Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Yes, it is.
Posted By: Bry <bmulheran@gmail.com>Date: 10/16/08 3:54 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Yes, it is. (Narcogen)

: Is knowing that really important? What do you gain by knowing it? What do you
: gain by moving the source of such information, whatever it might be, into
: canon if it is currently a questionable source?

Why does 'questionable source' come into what I'm saying?
I would like such material from Bungie,t hat's all really.

: My point is that the Haloverse is not, necessarily, enriched simply by
: increasing the quantity of information we have about it. (It can be, but
: it isn't *necessarily*.)

An individual position. Does it truly take anything away from the Haloverse?
I don't think so. Perhaps we just disagree.
I think the very nature of such information is that it is not necessary at all.
So its trivia. So what?
Well its nothing more than trivia to know how much the civilian version of the Warthog costs, and its trivia to know the exact power output of the Spartan Laser.
It is still data and it is official data Bungie have provided, regardless of how irrelevant it might be.
Trivia can be fun, interesting and its still a form of information.
I really don't see why one should be so opposed to the idea.

As I recall, the Aliens franchise gained something similar in its book, Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual.
That book is now a valued collectors item. Its desirable to fans and sells for quite high prices.
A used copy well set you back over $100.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens:_Colonial_Marines_Technical_Manual

Well I'm sorry to say it, but I would still love something like that focusing on the UNSC or Covenant.
I'm a geek, sue me, lol!

: I mean that Halo is a narrative work, and as such, has a subject. It is about
: something. It is not merely a collection of facts and details. The details
: serve the subject, not the other way around. Some details are more
: relevant and useful for a deeper understanding of the entire work, and
: some are less so.

: To you, yes. However many other discussions revolve around the story, its
: significance, and how past events in the fictional universe may be used to
: understand current events in that universe and perhaps even predict future
: ones. Trivia are generally not helpful in this area, and polluting canon
: solely for the purpose of dragging in additional sources of trivia can
: make it more difficult to actually understand Halo's story and its
: significant elements.

The beauty of Halo, imo at least, is that it is many things to different people.

To some, the majority really, it is 'just' a FPS.
To some it is a narrative work, an intriguing story.
And it can be more than either of them.

When you have a suitably deep universe, like I believe Halo does, there is something for everyone.
I love the story, but I still like the trivial details even if they do not further that story.
Surely that does not make it a crime that I would love background information on those more trivial items, regardless of relevance.

We can disagree on what exactly things in the Halo universe we'd like to see more... let's say data from. Or rather, I suppose its more correct to say I am greedy and would like data from a wider aspect of it.
But even if you don't have an interest in some of the things I might have, that it is unlikely to further what you want from the canon, surely that doesn't mean you should come up to me and say "That's not what Halo is about."

I don't consider it polluting the canon, nor do I think such things really have a negative impact.
I do acknowledge that its not something everyone cares about or is interested in.
The same can be said for just about anything though.

Perhaps there we will just have to agree to disagree.

Message Index

Replies:

H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:16 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Vincent 10/12/08 12:24 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Dave Bergland 10/12/08 12:26 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"XMixMasterX 10/12/08 12:43 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:47 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 12:55 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bry 10/12/08 1:19 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Zerowind117 10/12/08 10:33 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"elpolloguapo 10/12/08 7:23 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/12/08 12:54 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 12:57 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:58 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"XMixMasterX 10/12/08 1:00 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"free 10/12/08 1:08 p.m.
                             Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/12/08 1:34 p.m.
                                   Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 2:27 p.m.
                                         erm.. ie differences in accuracy, damage etc. *NM*The More Deluded 10/12/08 2:27 p.m.
                                   Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/12/08 3:49 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Cthulhu117 10/12/08 6:12 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/13/08 4:10 a.m.
                                               Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"vlad3163 10/13/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/13/08 5:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Cthulhu117 10/13/08 6:22 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/13/08 6:29 a.m.
                                                                       It's not. *NM*UNSC_Trooper 10/13/08 10:33 a.m.
                                                                             Yes, it is.Cthulhu117 10/13/08 2:18 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 8:18 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.My7hos 10/14/08 8:37 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 8:45 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 8:47 a.m.
                                                                                               My take.My7hos 10/14/08 9:06 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My take.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/14/08 9:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My take.My7hos 10/14/08 1:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 9:09 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 9:47 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 10:26 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                       You know if I was a Bungie employee...Leviathan 10/14/08 6:17 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You know if I was a Bungie employee...Bryan Ojeda 10/14/08 9:59 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 12:15 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 12:06 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.free 10/15/08 1:30 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 4:20 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 3:55 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 4:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 5:04 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 7:09 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 10:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.My7hos 10/15/08 11:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/16/08 2:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/16/08 3:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, it is.Sep7imus [subnova] 10/15/08 6:35 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/16/08 3:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Sep7imus [subnova] 10/16/08 6:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.free 10/16/08 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/16/08 5:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.free 10/16/08 6:12 p.m.
                                                                                                     I wish I could quit youJillybean 10/15/08 7:43 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I wish I could quit youNarcogen 10/15/08 10:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I wish I could quit youMy7hos 10/15/08 10:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Leave the Cortana Letters out of this.Louis Wu 10/15/08 11:12 a.m.
                                                                                                                             You missed my meaning...My7hos 10/15/08 11:17 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Sgt JohnsonMiguel Chavez 10/15/08 12:36 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sgt JohnsonSep7imus [subnova] 10/15/08 3:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                             ditto *NM*Jillybean 10/15/08 6:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sgt JohnsonStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/15/08 6:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Sgt JohnsonBry 10/16/08 2:36 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Sgt JohnsonNarcogen 10/16/08 3:30 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"UNSC_Trooper 10/13/08 10:38 a.m.
                                                                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Vincent 10/13/08 12:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/13/08 6:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Devil Mingy 10/13/08 6:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"vlad3163 10/13/08 8:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"elpolloguapo 10/14/08 9:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.