|Frequently Asked Forum Questions|
|Search Older Posts on This Forum:|
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts
|The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!|
|Posted By: pete_the_duck||Date: 7/18/08 5:17 p.m.|
All challengers must pass 7 devious obstacles before time runs out;
The first obstacle is the jump challenge.
The second obstacle is the slide challenge.
The third obstacle is the crate challenge.
The fourth obstacle is the ball challenge.
The fifth obstacle is the precision jump challenge.
The sixth obstacle is the pallet challenge.
The seventh obstacle is the gravity lift challenge.
Do you think you have what it takes?
(There is no required gametype, just follow THE RULES and default Slayer should be fine)
The Flaming Ninja Challenge course is designed to prevent cheating. To be certain, however, there are certain rules:
- ONLY ONE NINJA MAY COMPETE AT ONCE. Because ninjas work alone.
- ALL OBSTACLES MUST BE NAVIGATED AS DESIGNED. Because jumping on the slide challenge, not using the soccer ball on the ball challenge, etc., is the way of a coward, not a ninja! (doing such things should be impossible by the design of the course, but Halo fans are crafty folk..)
- NO WEAPONS/GRENADES/EQUIPMENT MAY BE USED, ONLY MELEE. Because true ninjas leave no collateral damage.
(These rules reflect how the course was designed to be used, but you can do whatever you want--have a race to the finish, try it in pairs, change starting weapons so observers can fire spartan lasers at the contestant..)
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- There is no required gametype, just follow THE RULES and default Slayer should be fine. Just be aware that obstacles (such as the ball challenge and pallet challenge) need time to reset between attempts, and the crate challenge may not reset perfectly. Optimally, a new round would begin between each attempt of the course--but making a gametype just for that is a waste of time and custom content space.
- Any party size can load this map. You begin in a viewing area with a teleporter permitting entrance to and from the obstacle course. Just take turns!
- Timing: Ninjas can complete the course in 150 seconds. The overshield furthest from the teleporter acts as a timer for "medium" difficulty, as it has a respawn time of 150 seconds. Pick it up before entering the teleporter--try to make it back before it respawns!
Flaming Ninjas can complete the course in 120 seconds. The overshield closest to the teleporter acts as a timer for "hard" difficulty, as it has a respawn time of 120 seconds. Pick it up before entering the teleporter--try to make it back before it respawns!
Now that I've introduced the map, I can say a little bit about making it;
Finally using that BlackSkyCanvas I mentioned a while ago, ..this took a while to finish :) (to put it lightly!). I came dangerously close to exhausting my Forge budget, but felt compelled to make sure there was $7 remaining.
It probably goes without saying that G4's Ninja Warrior was an inspiration for this map variant (along with some famous words by Jason Jones). The jump challenge, ball challenge, pallet challenge, and grav lift challenge are all Halo 3 versions of obstacles you might see on the Sasuke course.
I'm really proud of this map and looked forward to being able to share it with the community. I had to sit on it for almost a week to wait for the E3 fiasco to quiet down, so the thread would (hopefully) not get immediately buried. Augh!
I'd love to hear some feedback. I've already got some ideas for a sequel, but this iteration was a lot of work and I would want to be sure there's even interest..
Let me know what challenges you like or don't like, or any ideas you might have as well. I am especially happy with the slide challenge and ball challenge. It took a long time to figure out a way to make the ball challenge work without allowing people to cheat..and I could have gone with a longer slide, but that was very slow, painful construction in Forge. Both are lessons learned in what's feasible..
|The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!||pete_the_duck||7/18/08 5:17 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!||elessar787||7/18/08 5:50 p.m.|
|That looks like a blast! *NM*||DiscipleN2k||7/18/08 6:02 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!||Bryan Ojeda||7/18/08 6:11 p.m.|
|Whoa (Neo style) *NM*||SonofMacPhisto||7/18/08 6:27 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!||BolognaFire||7/18/08 6:47 p.m.|
|The Ultimate Challenge of Spartan-versus-Obstacle! *NM*||SonGoharotto||7/18/08 8:11 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!||xMixMasterX||7/19/08 4:08 p.m.|
|Double whammy, eh? =) *NM*||DHalo||7/19/08 4:21 p.m.|
|The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||pete_the_duck||7/25/08 7:26 a.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||xMixMasterx||7/25/08 9:01 a.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||pete_the_duck||7/25/08 1:42 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||detranova||7/25/08 9:21 a.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||pete_the_duck||7/25/08 1:43 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||detranova||7/25/08 2:02 p.m.|
|Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show||xMixMasterx||7/25/08 4:13 p.m.|
|Correction||pete_the_duck||7/25/08 7:13 p.m.|
|Melee Weapons?||lostguru||7/27/08 10:26 p.m.|
|Re: Melee Weapons?||pete_the_duck||7/27/08 10:49 p.m.|
|Re: Melee Weapons?||xMixMasterx||7/28/08 9:11 a.m.|
|Quick tip||pete_the_duck||7/28/08 10:16 a.m.|
|Re: Quick tip||xMixMasterx||7/28/08 11:36 a.m.|
The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.