Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?
Posted By: MJOLNIR7 <kev524@gwu.edu>Date: 5/8/08 11:44 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Can Flood Infect Machines? (Louis Wu)

: I have no clue what you're talking about.

really?

: First off, your definition of 'sentient' might be right if you're talking
: about some extremely specialized branch of biology or philosophy (I've
: never heard it used so specifically, but that doesn't mean it's not,
: somewhere) - but you're dead wrong in a general sense; 'sentient' means
: 'having the power of perception by the senses'. I don't think Guilty Spark
: was being at all specialized when he used the word; he meant 'conscious'.
: Not 'self-conscious', or 'self-aware' - simply 'aware'.

First off this is mostly an issue of psychology (which does indeed utilize both biology, chemistry, and philosophy as well as many other fields of science) and this is not a specialized definition at all. It is actually the more general. And I agree he meant 'conscious'.

Evidence:
From Webster's dictionary, definition of sentient---"having the power of perception by the senses; conscious; characterized by sensation and consciousness." The important part of that is "power of perception" which means sentient life forms not only "feel" the reactionary impulses of our senses but in fact have the cognitive capacity to recognize, gain awareness, contemplate (cognition whatever), reason, then react. And as I said, I agree that it is referring to the "GENERAL" usage of the word 'conscious'.

definition of conscious--"aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc; known to oneself; aware of what one is doing; aware of oneself; self-conscious."

This is all psych 101 stuff, so I guess I just always "perceived" it this way. That said, in the Halo-verse perhaps your right, but outside of HGN (where you guys were definitely right, my bad) I see no evidence to support the flood infect anything that isn't conscious.

: (Even so, there are studies showing a number of self-aware species on this
: planet alone - elephants, dolphins, and monkeys come to mind easily.)

I am fairly sure, (perhaps with the exception of a few kinds of monkeys), that although we are discovering very interesting things regarding different animals language abilities never thought possible before, there is very little evidence to support other animals have ever come close to consciousness. Without the development of a cognitive/reasoning center like our frontal lobe consciousness simply is not possible. But if you do hear a dolphin say "cogito ergo sum" then catch it, cause you would be one rich dude if that were the case haha. Unfortunately humans are the only ones so far to have ever realized "I think therefore I am." That is only if dolphins are not like they are in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and they can really secretly dance, sing, and travel through space.

: In the context of the game, 'sentient life forms' are those that can think.
: Period. This has been confirmed, directly or indirectly, multiple times by
: Bungie employees. Thinking that the flood can infect only humans is silly.

I never meant only humans and I apologize if it seemed like that. I meant simply that only conscious life forms could be infected. That would include any of the creators cataloged in the Bestiarum in the Halo 3 Legendary pack. With the exception of other unknown life forms that would be about all she wrote for flood "infection candidates."

Nevertheless I could be way wrong and I am sorry if I am misguided. And I will certainly concede this point if someone can show where Im getting confused. Just thought I was clarifying a well known and excepted definition...but perhaps i just muddled things up by accident.

Message Index

Replies:

Can Flood Infect Machines?Honestly 5/3/08 4:07 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SgtSatin 5/3/08 4:21 p.m.
           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?elpolloguapo 5/3/08 10:56 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SgtSatin 5/3/08 4:36 p.m.
           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Honestly 5/3/08 4:58 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Honestly 5/3/08 5:00 p.m.
                       Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?GatchamanUK 5/3/08 5:21 p.m.
                             Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?InnerRayg 5/3/08 6:19 p.m.
                                   Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SgtSatin 5/3/08 6:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?scarab 5/3/08 6:40 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?MJOLNIR7 5/8/08 5:00 a.m.
                       Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Free Weights 5/8/08 6:33 a.m.
                             Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?mendicantbias00 5/8/08 7:05 a.m.
                       Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Louis Wu 5/8/08 10:16 a.m.
                             Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?mub 5/8/08 10:33 a.m.
                             Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?MJOLNIR7 5/8/08 11:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Louis Wu 5/8/08 11:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Don 5/8/08 12:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Louis Wu 5/8/08 12:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Simpsons Rule 5/8/08 12:20 p.m.
                                                     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Crackshot53 5/8/08 12:21 p.m.
                                                           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Louis Wu 5/8/08 12:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Crackshot53 5/8/08 2:18 p.m.
                                                     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SinisterSamurai 5/8/08 2:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Don 5/8/08 3:36 p.m.
                                                           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Louis Wu 5/8/08 3:43 p.m.
                                                                 Yeah. And Duel Weilding became "legal," too. *NM*SinisterSamurai 5/8/08 5:41 p.m.
                                         Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?MJOLNIR7 5/8/08 6:46 p.m.
                                               Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Louis Wu 5/8/08 8:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Honestly 5/8/08 6:25 p.m.
                                   I've always taken sentient to mean self-sentient *NM*elpolloguapo 5/8/08 6:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Cthulhu117 5/8/08 7:42 p.m.
                                   Humans are NOT the only sentient creaturesangrymob 5/9/08 12:18 a.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?mub 5/3/08 6:15 p.m.
           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?scarab 5/3/08 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Honestly 5/3/08 6:46 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SgtSatin 5/3/08 6:55 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?scarab 5/3/08 6:37 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?ACEfanatic02 5/3/08 7:50 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Vincent 5/3/08 8:19 p.m.
           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/3/08 8:36 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SgtSatin 5/3/08 8:48 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Ragashingo 5/4/08 9:39 p.m.
                       Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/5/08 4:22 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Omega 5/4/08 11:15 p.m.
                       Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/5/08 4:24 p.m.
                             Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Jinno 5/5/08 9:25 p.m.
     Yes.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/4/08 10:01 a.m.
           You know...stan 5/4/08 11:22 a.m.
           Re: Yes.elpolloguapo 5/4/08 4:15 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Cthulhu117 5/4/08 12:19 p.m.
     Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?SinisterSamurai 5/6/08 5:03 p.m.
           Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Bryan Ojeda 5/6/08 8:38 p.m.
                 Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?angrymob 5/7/08 4:01 p.m.
                       Re: Can Flood Infect Machines?Bryan Ojeda 5/7/08 4:13 p.m.
                             To define 'infection'Jillybean 5/7/08 5:34 p.m.
                                   *Bows* *NM*Don 5/7/08 5:41 p.m.
                                   I wish...elpolloguapo 5/7/08 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: I wish...Bryan Ojeda 5/7/08 9:20 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.