Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archives
Posted By: Capt Spanish <jon.wilcox@gmail.com>Date: 5/5/08 8:14 p.m.

In Response To: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archives (Louis Wu)

Thanks Louis for that grand introduction and for all your help. To OboeCrazy and her people thank you for providing the videos, they were an invaluable asset and their addition to the archives makes it complete. You guys have widened the scope of my work far beyond what I ever thought it would be. And thank you all for your kind words; I’m glad that you all like them. The Terminal project was most definitely a labor of love for me and was always meant to be for all of you.

I consider the Halo Terminals to be works of art. Not just in their amazing content but in their incredible execution. I don’t know the story behind the creation and inclusion of the Terminals in the final cut of Halo 3, but to mehve and all those responsible Thank You. Your labor is appreciated. Your work is beautiful. MY hats off to you.

Stunt, you’re more right than you know. This has been a long six months coming.

The Forerunner Archives is by no means an exact copy of the Halo Terminals. The text transcripts can be taken as accurate (I even left a double “the” in there, see if you can find it). But I have taken certain liberties with the images and even the interface itself.

Think of it more as paint-by-numbers of the Sistine Chapel.

The images and icons contained within the Forerunner Archives are an interpretation of what I saw within the Terminals. I’ve made every effort ensure the authenticity of the images, but I am after all only human, and my digital camera’s just not that great. My goal was to try and preserve the spirit of the Terminals.

There are two glaring departures from the original Terminals. The Forerunner Archives don’t have the seek feature that is in the originals. (The hex-web that flies by at the beginning and after the error redirection.) And then the Forerunner glyphs that decode the text when you switch between pages. The hex –web was abandoned because I couldn’t find an accurate way of recreating it that wouldn’t have required you to watch it on a supercomputer. Substituting the Forerunner glyphs for a simple @ symbol was a necessary decision I made early on to solve the problem. Prior to this project I hadn’t touched Flash. So the learning curve was/is very high, I’m not a programmer either. At the time I didn’t have access to any hi-resolution images of the Terminals, so I didn’t even know what those glyphs looked like. One of the disadvantages of working in secret. I could only see enough to know that they didn’t repeat. So I went for reproducing the feel, since I couldn’t duplicate it exactly.

There you have it...

Oh and I’d like to thank my wife for not committing me over this obsession.

~Capt Spanish

Message Index

Replies:

ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesLouis Wu 5/5/08 11:18 a.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archivesmendicantbias00 5/5/08 11:23 a.m.
     Wow. Amazing work. *NM*serpx 5/5/08 11:27 a.m.
     Love you guys *NM*Jillybean 5/5/08 11:27 a.m.
     Great work :) *NM*Simpsons Rule 5/5/08 11:34 a.m.
     *Really* looking forward to trying this... *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/5/08 11:45 a.m.
     Many Thanks Goes Out to All Involved *NM*Xmoosev3 5/5/08 11:51 a.m.
     Awesome! Great Job! *NM*Clefton Twain 5/5/08 11:56 a.m.
     the Spanish are awe-sumMiguel Chavez 5/5/08 12:16 p.m.
           that's what she said. - Great work. *NM*Blackstar 5/5/08 12:33 p.m.
                 *Claps - for a long time* *NM*Ducain 5/5/08 12:40 p.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesJeSteR 343 5/5/08 12:21 p.m.
           Absolutely frickin brilliant!Calliope 5/5/08 12:44 p.m.
     Mind = blown.... WOW.pooberry (Max Power) 5/5/08 1:13 p.m.
     A quality piece of kit. *NM*Stuntmutt 5/5/08 1:31 p.m.
           Quality corn, as always. *NM*Spec ops Grunt 5/5/08 8:06 p.m.
     Kudos to all those involved!Leviathan 5/5/08 1:35 p.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesAvateur 5/5/08 1:58 p.m.
     Great work. *NM*BlueNinja 5/5/08 2:46 p.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesBolognaFire 5/5/08 4:02 p.m.
           Wow...Louis Wu 5/5/08 4:10 p.m.
                 Re: Wow...BolognaFire 5/5/08 4:52 p.m.
     .....beautiful! :O *NM*Peptuck 5/5/08 4:40 p.m.
     ___ *NM*Omega 5/5/08 4:53 p.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archivesmehve 5/5/08 5:35 p.m.
           Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archivesreprobate 5/5/08 6:52 p.m.
                 Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archivesmehve 5/7/08 2:37 p.m.
     Awesome. *NM*SPARTAN-034 5/5/08 5:47 p.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesCiarán 5/5/08 6:12 p.m.
     Thanks very much, Captain, Louis, et alreprobate 5/5/08 6:41 p.m.
     Beautiful. *NM*Spec ops Grunt 5/5/08 8:08 p.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesCapt Spanish 5/5/08 8:14 p.m.
           Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesDHalo 5/5/08 8:22 p.m.
           Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archivesserpx 5/5/08 8:44 p.m.
           Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network Archivesscarab 5/6/08 12:19 p.m.
                 Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesCapt Spanish 5/6/08 11:24 p.m.
     There are those who said this day would never comeCapo Rip 5/6/08 12:07 a.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesRosco-128 5/6/08 3:21 a.m.
     Re: ANN: Forerunner Terminal Network ArchivesSep7imus [subnova] 5/6/08 11:30 p.m.
     Holy....Awe. *NM*Ma1agate 5/7/08 7:19 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.