Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

The Melee Isn't All That Different!
Posted By: Ragashingo <ragashingo@ragashingo.com>Date: 4/23/08 11:59 a.m.

In Response To: Re: My Halo 3 review (finally). (Gravemind)

You suggest that Halo 1 was better as Halo 3's system is holding the player's hand. Ridiculous! I say they are mostly the same other than some visuals and the range at which a melee attack connects with an enemy.

In Halo 3 games I've played I've missed melee's for 3 main reasons.

1. My aim was not centered on my enemy. If you press B when your enemy isn't in your line of sight you end up swatting at the air. My enemy who apparently had me more in his field of view connects with his attack and I die. My death was totally my fault. And my enemy's victory was totally his. No computer held either of our hands.

Contrast this with Halo 1. What happens when you press B but you enemy is not centered enough in your line of sight? You disturb the air in front of your face and nothing else. Same as Halo 3.

2. My enemy was not in range. Me and an enemy are closing quickly and we both know that weapons fire will lose to a melee attack. So I in my best effort to get my strike in first I misjudge the distance and press B too soon, not seconds too soon, just an instant or two too soon. I end up again whacking nothing in particular. My enemy with better (or heck maybe worse) reflexes presses B after my missed attack and I die. Again my death had nothing to do with the computer helping me out, nor did it help my opponent achieve his success.

In Halo 1 if I melee too early and my opponent times it right I die and he lives. Same as Halo 3.

3. My enemy attacked first and killed me. Me and my enemy close, are in range, and press B but unfortunately my timing was off and I press B too late. Before I even get the chance to hit him I'm dead. Did the computer make me die? No. It had nothing to do with me misjudging when to start my attack, nor did it do anything to make my opponent time his attack correctly.

In Halo 1 if I mistime my attack and press B too late it does nothing since I'm already dead. Same as Halo 3.

You say that all I have to be is in range and press B to let the computer to hurl me into my opponent. Well duh! As noted above in both games you don't hurt the enemy if you aren't in range!

You ask why should the player always land a melee if he's in range? The problem is that you conveniently leave out the issue of timing and aim! If you leave those out of the equation then even in Halo 1 you always land a melee if you're in range!

In the end I see your problem with Halo 2 and 3's melee being limited to the lunge, which when you boil that down really means the range at which a melee will register. I'll agree here. Halo 2 & 3 do allow for a larger distance from you to your enemy when attacking with the other end of your gun. Yes, that does mean that the actual timing window that you have to press B within grew from Halo 1 to 2 & 3. A larger window does mean people with slower reflexes have a better chance of hitting that window.

But that large window doesn't mean the computer is fighting my battles. I may have more milliseconds to press B but I'm still the one who must point at the enemy, I'm still the one who must time that button press so it isn't too early or too late.

Message Index

Replies:

My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/19/08 11:04 p.m.
     It was a nice read.BlueNinja 4/20/08 2:32 a.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).zethren 4/20/08 2:50 a.m.
           Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).onebitrocket 4/23/08 2:10 a.m.
                 Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).scarab 4/23/08 8:08 a.m.
                       Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).onebitrocket 4/23/08 11:20 a.m.
                             Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).scarab 4/24/08 1:53 a.m.
                                   Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/25/08 12:58 a.m.
     Comprehensive!Jillybean 4/20/08 8:51 a.m.
           I'll say...stan 4/20/08 9:11 a.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Louis Wu 4/20/08 9:38 a.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).UrsusArctos 4/20/08 10:01 a.m.
     Well written but,Spec ops Grunt 4/20/08 12:37 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).serpx 4/20/08 3:06 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Vandle Valsher 4/20/08 3:16 p.m.
           Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/23/08 4:14 a.m.
                 Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Vandle Valsher 4/23/08 4:56 a.m.
                 Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Louis Wu 4/23/08 8:07 a.m.
                       Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/23/08 10:21 a.m.
                             Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Louis Wu 4/23/08 11:15 a.m.
                                   Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Cocopjojo 4/23/08 11:28 a.m.
                             Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).DiscipleN2k 4/23/08 11:13 p.m.
                                   Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/25/08 1:21 a.m.
                                         Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).DiscipleN2k 4/25/08 1:14 p.m.
                                               Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Ragashingo 4/25/08 2:15 p.m.
                 The Melee Isn't All That Different!Ragashingo 4/23/08 11:59 a.m.
     Points on your H3 review (long)Rockslider 4/20/08 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Points on your H3 review (long)scarab 4/21/08 7:42 a.m.
                 Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Rockslider 4/22/08 4:26 p.m.
                       Re: Points on your H3 review (long)scarab 4/23/08 7:52 a.m.
           Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Gravemind 4/23/08 12:10 a.m.
                 Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Captain Spark 4/23/08 8:50 a.m.
                 Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Rockslider 4/23/08 5:41 p.m.
                       Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Gravemind 4/25/08 2:58 a.m.
     Comment on the Covenant in H3reprobate 4/21/08 6:23 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.