Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I am a monument to all your sins.
Posted By: scarabDate: 2/24/08 11:37 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I am a monument to all your sins. (Fëanor)

: And yeah, it's pretty clear that Bungie did not follow Linnaean taxonomy --

Its fallen out of favour with many taxonomists. Phylogenetic Analysis is more the rage these days.

But both systems assume that the species studied are related by descent. It would be incorrect to attempt to apply them to life forms from different worlds.

This would be true even if you subscribed to a common seed hypothesis because the Haloverse sentients would have been removed by billions of years from the common seed so they wouldn't share any but the most basic and general traits. These traits would be something like: they use RNA. And there is no point in using a naming schema that includes the same information in every name.

Talking of common seeds... at least one of the species mentioned in the Beastarium uses silicon based chemistry to encode its genome.

My bet is on the Lekgolo. From CH it appears that they ate Forerunner alloys and they dine on rock. earthworms will ingest soil particles but they excrete them relatively untouched. Its the organics, the carbon based compounds, coating the silcaceous particles that they are after. CH suggests that Lekgolo worms are after the silicon itself. Perhaps their biology is silicon based.

They are also at home on icy rocks that orbit a gas giant. They are almost certainly airless. Do Lekgolo need to breathe free oxygen?

The biggest problems I had with Mgalekolo biology was how such large creatures comprised of separate units could effectively dissipate heat and how they could get O2 to their active muscles.

What kind of circulatory system could they have? Do they have dedicated worms to act as lungs? If every worm does its own breathing then how do worms breathe that lie in the center of acive muscle masses?

Vacume is an effective insulator. And doesn't have much oxygen ;-)

Maybe Mgalekgolo don't mind being very hot, maybe they don't need oxygen.

Is it toxic to them? did they evolve in an O2 free environment. I read somewhere that silicon based lifeforms would need to live in O2 free environments but I can't remember the reason given.

But anyway, going back to the original seed idea... what form would it take? How would its genome be encoded? In RNA? In Silicon? A single common seed organism seems unlikely.

OTOH I have read speculative articles on abiogenesis that suggests that clay minerals could have given conducive environments for early biological processes to occur. Maybe the common seed could have been a clay-like dust. And carbon based life forms develop from it on carbon rich worlds, and silicon based life forms develop on carbon poor?!? worlds.

Message Index

Replies:

Bestiarum Latin names translatedFëanor 2/24/08 4:18 a.m.
     Cool.BlueNinja 2/24/08 4:56 a.m.
           Re: Cool.Fëanor 2/24/08 5:18 a.m.
                 Re: Cool.SinisterSamurai 2/24/08 3:54 p.m.
     CorrectionsFëanor 2/24/08 5:40 a.m.
     Bookmarkedscarab 2/24/08 5:42 a.m.
           Re: BookmarkedFëanor 2/24/08 5:52 a.m.
                 Sealsj41m3z 2/24/08 11:29 a.m.
                 Re: BookmarkedSiber 2/24/08 2:30 p.m.
                       Re: BookmarkedFëanor 2/24/08 5:56 p.m.
     Another Possible CorrectionFëanor 2/24/08 6:08 a.m.
           Wait Engineers were 'made'? *NM*spu7n1k 2/24/08 6:29 a.m.
                 Yeah.BlueNinja 2/24/08 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: Yeah.ActiveCamoElite 2/24/08 8:14 a.m.
                             Re: Yeah.BlueNinja 2/24/08 8:47 a.m.
                 Re: Wait Engineers were 'made'?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/24/08 11:24 a.m.
           I am a monument to all your sins.scarab 2/24/08 10:19 a.m.
                 Re: I am a monument to all your sins.Fëanor 2/24/08 10:35 a.m.
                       Re: I am a monument to all your sins.scarab 2/24/08 11:37 a.m.
                             Re: I am a monument to all your sins.elpolloguapo 2/24/08 11:41 a.m.
                                   Re: I am a monument to all your sins.scarab 2/24/08 12:36 p.m.
           Re: Another Possible CorrectionFëanor 2/24/08 6:24 p.m.
     Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedelpolloguapo 2/24/08 9:19 a.m.
           Yeh its not following the Linnean System *NM*scarab 2/24/08 10:22 a.m.
     Updated and abbreviated list, errors amendedFëanor 2/24/08 6:49 p.m.
           Re: Updated and abbreviated list, errors amendedStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/24/08 9:11 p.m.
                 Re: Updated and abbreviated list, errors amendedFëanor 2/24/08 10:28 p.m.
     Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedSchedonnardus 2/25/08 8:52 a.m.
           Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedFëanor 2/25/08 9:24 p.m.
                 Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedSep7imus [subnova] 2/25/08 10:34 p.m.
                       Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedFëanor 2/27/08 11:36 a.m.
                 Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedLouis Wu 2/26/08 7:45 a.m.
                       Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedyakaman 2/26/08 12:27 p.m.
                             Hostes aliengeni me abduxerent. Qui annus est? *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/26/08 12:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Hostes aliengeni me abduxerent. Qui annus est?Fëanor 2/27/08 11:37 a.m.
                       Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedFëanor 2/27/08 11:36 a.m.
           Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedxMixMasterx 2/26/08 9:54 a.m.
     Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedvlad3163 2/25/08 11:27 a.m.
     Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedgortex: devouerer of nooblets 2/26/08 7:38 p.m.
           Re: Bestiarum Latin names translatedelpolloguapo 2/26/08 10:00 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.