glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?
Posted By: Red_Breast <dpupohdi@hotmail.com>Date: 11/24/07 11:56 a.m.

In Response To: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def? (Rockslider)

I'll try to explain the difference that I noticed.
So my old standard def. CRT TV has a VGA input. I think it's possible because it has 100/120Hz modes for interlaced broadcasts.
So the day I got my 360 I got the VGA cable. Being UK PAL and having borrowed my XBox to my sister I also got a RGB SCART cable for Halo with it's 50Hz only mode.
I'd read what Rockslider had said and one evening I thought I'd test. I could only remember the first example from the write up.

"In Tsavo Highway, get to the place where two Jackal snipers were standing, not far from the start. From their position, turn around and look at the overturned Warthog. There are two bodies there, and you're at approximately the draw distance for them. Move forward a bit and you can see them fade in; move back again and they'll fade back out. The fading is quite sudden too. It's not quite a case of 'pop-in', but the effect is almost as bad."

So first with VGA I couldn't see what he was talking about. I kept the marines in sight and went as far as possible. I could always see them.
So I tried the RGB SCART. No difference in resolution but interlaced instead of progressive. Now I could see what Rockslider was talking about.
I should mention I say no resolution difference but actually with PAL being 576i there's a slight difference.
But what is causing it? At first it appears because it's interlaced. Does anybody play Halo 3 at 1080i? LCDs and plasmas can't show an interlaced signal and do there little bit of magic on 1080i. Deinterlacing and line-doubling. Maybe the only way to really test it would be one of the early tube CRT HDTVs. Anybody got one?
When I first read Rockslider's original post about draw distance I seem to remember a few people couldn't understand what he was talking about. Including me which was the reason why I tested it.
I'm happy I was able to explain it a bit to him although exactly why it happens I don't know.

Message Index

Replies:

Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?Rockslider 11/24/07 3:54 a.m.
     Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?kapowaz 11/24/07 4:10 a.m.
           Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?scarab 11/24/07 6:01 a.m.
                 That's exactly what I get.Spartan Jag 11/24/07 12:18 p.m.
                       Re: That's exactly what I get.scarab 11/24/07 1:50 p.m.
                             Re: That's exactly what I get.Spartan Jag 11/25/07 12:22 a.m.
                       Re: That's exactly what I get.Rockslider 11/24/07 2:40 p.m.
                             Re: That's exactly what I get.scarab 11/25/07 6:54 a.m.
                                   Re: That's ... World Domination.Red_Breast 11/25/07 1:02 p.m.
     Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?RefinedSolid 11/24/07 4:13 a.m.
     Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?xenøs 11/24/07 4:58 a.m.
           Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?Rockslider 11/24/07 2:43 p.m.
                 Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?scarab 11/25/07 7:00 a.m.
                       Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?Spartan Jag 11/25/07 9:08 a.m.
                             Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?scarab 11/25/07 11:51 a.m.
     Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?Red_Breast 11/24/07 11:56 a.m.
           Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?huskerblackshrt 11/24/07 7:36 p.m.
                 Re: Draw distance flaw absent on hi-def?Red_Breast 11/25/07 12:56 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.