Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Cool
Posted By: Devrous <rindmere@yahoo.com>Date: 4/15/07 4:13 a.m.

In Response To: Cool (Juan_Anselm)

: By watching this video I got a little stone in my shoe, what about shields?
: since even now the UNSC hasn't had shield on any of their ships, even
: fighters, so is the game going to be played like the first part of FS1? or
: will the covenant flagships will be some sort of mini- SSD Lucifers with
: the shields and all?

All the Covenant ships, except maybe the dropship, will have shields. And the UNSC will most definitely not have any, except for, perhaps, a much later prototype Longsword... *rubs hands in anticipation*

: Not that it bothers me much since it will be one more reason to not get hit
: but it will take some time to get used after playing the normal FS2
: gameplay so much.

I've paid more attention to directional thrusters for FS2H. Freespace 1 &2 had no movement except for forwards, but the Longsword can "strafe" and "jack-in-the-box" at a low speed but high acceleration, so you can actually dodge enemy fire! I found it to be a nice touch, and, like you said, without shields you are going to have to play smart and be nimble, and you can't avoid hits if you can only go straight forward.

I'd like to take this opprtunity to also say that every ship, even capital ships, will be baying for blood. For example, the Covenant flagship will not only just look menacing, it will vaporize you the moment you get within range. I didn't like that Freespace 1 & 2 Capital Ships had to rely on scripting to make convincing battles or fire big weapons. So I just made all my ships free to unleash hell at their leisure! The Covenant AI is extremely aggressive, and if its turrets are not busy, they will zap you until you either die or get out of range.

I did this to promote strategy. Just like Halo, where you can play a room full of enemies a hundred different ways and still make it through, FS2H is meant to be fun more than anything. One mission I find myself playing a lot has had wildly different outcomes every time I play it. One time I may get killed within 3 seconds by oncoming Covenant capital ships, but the next they are too busy turning a cruiser into molten slag. That randomness makes it fun.

When people play this game, I want them to fear capital ships. It wouldn't be very smart to fly straight at a Covenant Assault Carrier in your whee fighter, so I made sure the AI thanks you for your poor judgement by sending a "beam-full-o-hurt" in your direction.

As always, thanks for your comments! More coming soon :-)

Message Index

Replies:

FS2H Teaser VideoDevrous 4/14/07 2:06 a.m.
     Re: FS2H Teaser VideoGFC Danny 4/14/07 11:28 a.m.
           Re: FS2H Teaser VideoDuBbLe 4/14/07 12:07 p.m.
                 Re: FS2H Teaser VideoDangerousHippo 4/14/07 12:25 p.m.
     Re: FS2H Teaser VideoDevrous 4/14/07 1:01 p.m.
     CoolJuan_Anselm 4/14/07 6:28 p.m.
           Re: CoolDevrous 4/15/07 4:13 a.m.
     Re: FS2H Teaser VideoKonrad 4/14/07 11:33 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.