Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

FS2H Coming Soon!
Posted By: Devrous <rindmere@yahoo.com>Date: 3/22/07 3:17 p.m.

“If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”
-Isaac Newton

1616 hours, March 22, 2007 (Military Calendar) \
Sol System, Planet Earth \ FS2H Main Office

I’ll start off by asking the question: Have you ever wanted to pilot a UNSC ship and blast away the bad guys?

If you answered yes, or are curious all the same, then I am delighted to bring you the first weekly update of FS2H. What started out as a spare-time hobby has evolved into a total conversion modification. It has taken me almost three years to compile tools, learn how to use them, and crank out models and textures. (Three years? Well I’ve done this project with an army of one, and I have a new found appreciation for video game makers. I’ll never complain about spending $50 for a game ever again!) I used every resource I could find on Halo ship specifications; in 2006 Stephen Loftus made it easy. Reading the books gave tons of ideas and information as to the inner workings of the UNSC (I heart Eric Nylund). And the fans here on H.B.O. had a lot of things to say about the spacecraft in the forums. But I digress…enough development talk.

FS2H is a space-based combat simulation based on the Halo universe. The original game, Freespace 2, is the best game of its kind in my opinion (sorry Wing Commander fans). And thanks to a large source code modding community, FS2 is now a very good looking game. It’s a nice platform for this type of game.

In the current outline, FS2H will be split into four Chapters. The first will cover the years before Halo: Combat Evolved during the biggest insurrection in the current Halo timeline (unless you count the united rebel front mentioned in Ghosts of Onyx). Glorious human-on-human action as you join the ranks of the first generation of pilots to fly the infamous Longsword. Chapters 2 and 4 are mostly thought out already, but two things in the last few months have thrown snags into my plans: Halo 3 and Halo Wars. Chapter 2 was to be during the 27 years the UNSC fought the Covenant before the first Halo, but Halo Wars promises to fill in some if not all of that history. I don’t want to step on any toes, so I may tailor Chapter 2 to align with Ensemble’s storyline. And Chapter 4 would, of course, be after Halo 3. But that’s the problem…there may not be a universe left after H3. Finally, Chapter 3 will be, well, Top Secret. It’s my biggest surprise, so you’ll just have to wait and see.

Currently I have 62 ships modeled, textured, flying and shooting at one another. The models pale in comparison to, let’s say, Infinityloop’s Pillar of Autumn. Freespace 2, being an older game, can’t handle but a few thousand polygons per ship. The level of detail is less than modern games. But the point of the game is to have fun, not just ogle a great looking model, right?

I estimate that the game is currently at 80% complete. Expect a teaser trailer and a playable demo in the near future. I will be working hard to churn out missions and make a final build. I am aiming for Chapter One to be playable and online by summer. A website is in the foreseeable future, but until then these forums will be my base of operations (thanks Louis). More updates to come…

…but first:

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/devrous_fs2h/fs2h-lngswdpeldocked.jpg

-Devrous

Message Index

Replies:

FS2H Coming Soon!Devrous 3/22/07 3:17 p.m.
     Re: FS2H Coming Soon!SharpEdge 3/22/07 4:53 p.m.
     Re: FS2H Coming Soon!Deepblue 3/22/07 7:49 p.m.
           FS2OPEN rulesJuan_Anselm 3/22/07 11:28 p.m.
                 Re: FS2OPEN rulesDevrous 3/23/07 12:51 a.m.
     Re: FS2H Coming Soon!The Vector Kid 3/22/07 9:35 p.m.
           Re: FS2H Coming Soon!SharpEdge 3/22/07 11:08 p.m.
     Re: FS2H Coming Soon!Devrous 3/23/07 12:54 a.m.
     Re: FS2H Coming Soon!doober187 3/23/07 4:29 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.