Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Master Cheif in paint
Posted By: Rox <rox_da_fox@spray.se>Date: 1/29/07 5:13 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Master Cheif in paint (Mushroom Samba)

I'll go right ahead and copy and paste my Youtube comment.

"I am not impressed. Anyone who feels like wasting their time can do that. Paint's sole strength lies in its pixel perfect accuracy, and you can in no way take advantage of that in a big, traced picture like this. You'd work much quicker and get a better result in Illustrator."

There is nothing impressive with this. People who find it impressive do so simply because they're not used to seeing it, and thus didn't think it's possible. And finding the impossible happening feels kinda impressive... so I'll cut you guys some slack.

But I consider it fact that this, like that "PixelGod" and his MS Paint car, is a complete waste of time. I'm a pixel artist, I've worked in Paint since it was called PaintBrush, so I kinda know how it works. Using Paint solely to draw lines and curves is a waste. This is something Paint is honestly HORRIBLE at. Having to look at EVERY SINGLE LINE so you can trace it perfectly into your own picture is also really horrible. This is the digital equivalent to backlighting someone else's art and tracing your own on top of it. Except it's made with a primitive tool used in the wrong way.

If made pixel by pixel, one could achieve much more impressive results. Not size-wise, since size seems to be something that impresses people for some reason, but a lot more thought would have to go down into placing said pixels to make the eye interpret the shape that exists, rather than blatantly pointing it out like those black lines on white background does. This thoughtfulness is a sign of experience and talent. This way one could also put a spectrum of colors as wide as the one in the original picture into one's own art without having to spend ten hours drawing lines of where one color ends and the next begins - a method that inevitably leads to a very cel-shaded look also (something Illustrator and other vector programs were MADE for!). By restricting the area into something below 200x200 pixels, one could easily place each color pixel by hand and achieve, if wanted, the exact same result as the original picture. A skilled pixel pusher could probably also keep the color count below 20 individual colors. Being able to maximize the use of each individual color is something that does impress in the pixel art scene, and that's for a reason. It takes a lot of talent to get it to work.

Tracing outlines doesn't take a lot of talent. All you need is a lot of time to waste and an apparent need to show off your patience to strangers online.

Maybe I need to throw together a full scene in Paint sometime and record myself doing it, just to show how it's supposed to be done.. but I'd rather not, that makes me look like one of them.

It always feels SO good to get a chance to vent about this stuff. Thanks, HBO.

Message Index

Replies:

Master Cheif in paintsorahn 1/29/07 12:27 p.m.
     Re: Master Cheif in paintMushroom Samba 1/29/07 12:57 p.m.
           Re: Master Cheif in paintRox 1/29/07 5:13 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.