Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the Situation
Posted By: Sharkface217 <Sharkface217@gmail.com>Date: 10/4/06 8:47 p.m.

In Response To: A Mod Developer's Take on the Situation (RedMonkey999)

: *****I apologize for the double post, I don't usually post on these forums so
: I'm not that familiar with them. I ended up posting a reply to someone
: else when I intended to reply to the initial post. This arguement caused
: me to post on this forum because I'm active in a modding community as a
: developer, and I have been following Halogen since its inception*****

: I'm just confused because it seems that people who are taking Microsoft's
: side in this arguement are claiming that Halogen fans are upset that
: Halogen was shut down because "it was a unique realization of the
: Halo universe". I don't know where that arguement comes from as I
: don't know of any Halogen fans that are dismissing the fact that Halo as
: an RTS wasn't a new or unique idea. In my opinion, Halogen was unique in
: the fact that it was, at the time, the only RTS realization of Halo. The
: idea was not unique, but the implementation was.

: In my opinion, as a developer of the Star Wars mod "First Strike"
: for Battlefield: 2142 (made by EA/DICE), I would be highly disappointed if
: after over a year of hard work making everything painstakingly detailed
: and accurrate LucasArts were to shut us down just because we were creating
: a mod that is in direct competition with one of their games (which it is,
: for example Battlefront I and II). As a fan of the Star Wars movies, I am
: working on the mod for the love of realizing a game that, while not
: unique, may be better than anything made by official game devs due to our
: unique love of the content that we are producing.

: I'm sure that it is easy for the Ensemble developers to claim that "they
: love the Halo universe" and that they enjoy playing Halo, but do you
: think that they loved Halo enough to painstakingly (yes there's that word
: again, making a mod like Halogen is very hard work) create an entire game
: FOR NO BENIFIT TO THEMSELVES OTHER THAN THE ENJOYMENT OF PLAYING IT. In
: other words, do you think that the guys from Ensemble would go through the
: time and effort of making something like Halogen without the benifit of
: $70,000+ a year? I hardly think so.

: My point in all of this is that, while I understand the business practice of
: what Microsoft was doing in shutting down Halogen, I don't like it. Why
: can't Microsoft just allow Halogen to continue, and just make sure that
: Ensemble entice the public to buy Halo Wars simply because it is a better
: game than Halogen? While Microsoft has every right within the law to shut
: down Halogen, what about business ethics?

: As for Narcogen's argument that EA would be making money off of Halogen, I
: find that highly unlikely and I would like to see evidence of people
: buying C&C Generals for the sole intention of playing Halogen. I think
: that most people that would be playing Halogen would be people that had
: bought C&C Generals long before Halogen was even announced (C&C isn't
: exactly a new game, and most of the people playing it today bought a while
: ago).

: The only reason Microsoft shut down Halogen was because they were afraid that
: Halogen would have been better than Halo Wars (Halogen even has a better
: name, "Halo WARS"? What is that?) and would have caused them to
: lose a couple hundred potential buyers.

: Props to Bungie for supporting Halogen when Microsoft was keeping its nose
: out, but Bungie should have kept its tight control over the Halo IP
: instead of allowing other studios to play with it. I can understand the
: movie (Bungie is a game studio, not a movie studio), but I think that
: Bungie is more than capable of turning Halo into an RTS, and I firmly
: believe that Bungie would have done a much better job with it than
: Ensemble ever could dream of.

: ******************** A Bit of a Disclaimer *********************

: I do not fault Bungie for the actions of Microsoft in this case. I believe
: that Bungie supports its fan community fully, even if that means losing a
: couple bucks. I'm sure that if it were up to Bungie, then Halogen would be
: playing on hundreds of computers everywhere.

Arg! I'm torn between Narc's take on this story and the one by RedMonkey. Both come up with exellent points.

Message Index

Replies:

Halogen Beta?Sharkface217 10/3/06 2:37 p.m.
     Re: Halogen Beta?KP 10/3/06 2:52 p.m.
           Re: Halogen Beta?WortWortWort 10/3/06 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: Halogen Beta?WortWortWort 10/3/06 7:42 p.m.
                       Re: Halogen Beta?WortWortWort 10/3/06 7:53 p.m.
                 Re: Halogen Beta?N/A 10/3/06 8:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halogen Beta?DarkSim 10/3/06 8:17 p.m.
                       Re: Halogen Beta?WortWortWort 10/3/06 9:18 p.m.
                             Re: Halogen Beta?Narcogen 10/4/06 12:16 a.m.
                                   Re: Halogen Beta?Miguel Chavez 10/4/06 9:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Halogen Beta?UrsusArctos 10/4/06 9:20 a.m.
                                         Re: Halogen Beta?Matt 10/4/06 9:45 a.m.
                                               Re: Halogen Beta?Hawaiian Pig 10/4/06 10:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halogen Beta?Matt 10/4/06 2:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halogen Beta?Dry Ice 10/4/06 3:06 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Halogen Beta?Dry Ice 10/4/06 3:09 p.m.
                                               Re: Halogen Beta?Narcogen 10/4/06 10:56 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halogen Beta?Matt 10/4/06 2:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Halogen Beta?Count Zero 10/4/06 3:00 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halogen Beta?Louis Wu 10/4/06 3:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halogen Beta?Hawaiian Pig 10/4/06 7:23 p.m.
                                         Re: Halogen Beta?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 10/4/06 9:56 a.m.
                                         Re: Halogen Beta?Narcogen 10/4/06 10:54 a.m.
                                               Re: Halogen Beta?Hawaiian Pig 10/4/06 10:58 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halogen Beta?Schedonnardus 10/4/06 3:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halogen Beta?Matt 10/4/06 3:42 p.m.
                                                                 Someone's been swigging the cough syrup again. *NM*Louis Wu 10/4/06 4:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halogen Beta?mercury 10/4/06 4:38 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halogen Beta?Narcogen 10/4/06 8:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Halogen Beta?Schedonnardus 10/5/06 11:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Halogen Beta?Endbringer 10/5/06 11:31 a.m.
                                                                       Nice!Miguel Chavez 10/5/06 12:41 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Nice!Sep7imus [subnova] 10/5/06 2:12 p.m.
                                                     This is what I meant, yesMiguel Chavez 10/4/06 5:44 p.m.
                                                     A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationRedMoney999 10/4/06 8:08 p.m.
                                                           Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationNarcogen 10/4/06 8:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationMiguel Chavez 10/4/06 10:21 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationSep7imus [subnova] 10/5/06 2:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationRedMonkey999 10/5/06 11:18 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationLouis Wu 10/6/06 4:45 a.m.
                                                                             Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationRedMonkey999 10/8/06 3:44 p.m.
                                         Re: Halogen Beta?Konrad 10/4/06 11:08 a.m.
                                               Heh! *NM*Stuntmutt 10/4/06 11:15 a.m.
                 Re: Halogen Beta?Narcogen 10/4/06 12:07 a.m.
                       Couldn't be said any better. *NM*Cocopjojo 10/4/06 1:22 a.m.
                       Re: Halogen Beta?BARBARIC RAGE 10/4/06 12:21 p.m.
                             Re: Halogen Beta?mercury 10/4/06 1:22 p.m.
     Re: Halogen Beta?mercury 10/3/06 4:43 p.m.
           Bungie didn't shut them down.58 10/3/06 5:40 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie didn't shut them down.Sharkface217 10/3/06 7:59 p.m.
                 Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownNarcogen 10/4/06 12:22 a.m.
                       Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownRox 10/4/06 3:07 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownNarcogen 10/4/06 4:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownRox 10/4/06 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownNarcogen 10/4/06 10:58 a.m.
                                   HBO: Waiting for Microsoft lawyers to shut us down *NM*Stuntmutt 10/4/06 8:44 a.m.
                                         They'll be sure to shut down One One Se7en firstUrsusArctos 10/4/06 8:47 a.m.
                                               Re: They'll be sure to shut down One One Se7en firUrsusArctos 10/4/06 8:50 a.m.
                                                     To clarify my position...Stuntmutt 10/4/06 9:18 a.m.
                                                           Re: To clarify my position...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 10/4/06 9:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: To clarify my position...A of T 10/4/06 11:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: To clarify my position...Miguel Chavez 10/4/06 3:45 p.m.
                                                                       Re: To clarify my position...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 10/4/06 3:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: To clarify my position...Blck 10/5/06 2:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: To clarify my position...try starcraft :pvshields ash 10/6/06 4:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: To clarify my position...try starcraft :pShortRoundMcfly 10/6/06 7:05 p.m.
                                                                       Re: To clarify my position...try starcraft :pUrsusArctos 10/7/06 11:53 p.m.
                                                                             Re: To clarify my position...try starcraft :pSparkamus 10/8/06 12:51 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownMiguel Chavez 10/4/06 9:03 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownVlad3163 10/4/06 9:48 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownShortRoundMcfly 10/4/06 12:58 p.m.
                                   Re: Bungie's role in Halogen shutdownNarcogen 10/4/06 9:02 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie didn't shut them down.mercury 10/4/06 1:09 p.m.
     Re: Halogen Beta?Quikthnkr 10/4/06 1:37 p.m.
     A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationRedMonkey999 10/4/06 8:17 p.m.
           Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationSharkface217 10/4/06 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: A Mod Developer's Take on the SituationThe 'Loot 10/5/06 2:47 a.m.
           Re: A Mod Developer's Take-meh...vshields ash 10/6/06 4:42 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.