Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty Spark
Posted By: Geoff Chang <greyalpha@gmail.com>Date: 6/13/06 7:04 p.m.

This is a direct link to original Nietzsche, sec. 343, which I think everyone should judge on its own.

http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/diefrohl7f.htm

Here are some excerpts (in quotes) and ideas that I had. Also, Nietzsche numbered the section himself 120 some years ago. So it's not like some guy cut up Nietzsche's book later and that this section ended up as 343.

Aphorism #343 of "La Gaya Scienza" by Friedrich Nietzsche, 1882.

"The meaning of our cheerfulness.-"

"This long plenitude and sequence of breakdown, destruction, ruin, and cataclysm that is now impending: who could guess enough of it today to be compelled to play the teacher and advance proclaimer of this monstrous logic of terror, the prophet of a gloom and an eclipse of the sun whose like has probably never yet occurred on earth?"

"..:the event itself is far too great, too distant, too remote from the multitude's capacity for comprehension even for the tidings of it to be thought of as having arrived as yet; much less may one suppose that many people know as yet what this event really means-..."

"Are we perhaps still too much under the impression of the initial consequences of this event—and these initial consequences, the consequences for ourselves, are quite the opposite of what one might perhaps expect, not at all sad and gloomy but rather like a new and scarcely describable kind of light, relief, exhiliration, encouragement, dawn ..."

Thus, the title,

"The meaning of our cheerfulness.-"

I wonder if this explains why 343 Guilty Spark is so cheerful when we're in the Library battle? Like Nietzsche, is Guilty Spark genuinely happy about a 'great rebirth' of the known universe? Also, many say Nietzsche proclaimed his own genius, and had a tremendous ego. Guilty Spark also seems certain of his own genius, or at least his superiority. Nietzsche went insane in the latter part of his life. Personally, I find 343 GS to have been, at least during the Library battles, 'detached from reality'. At least, the reality of having to fight so much Flood.

If you're still interested, check out the preceding quote which refers to an army general who 'talks' to his own body before going into battle. This reminds me of Cortana speaking to the Master Chief throughout the game. Two minds in a warriors body- maybe just coincidence?

I know there has been a lot of great work on the Story page figuring out the meanings of the Halo Monitors' names, and I'd like to know what you think of this one. Please post whatever you think of original text or anything related to 343 GS.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkGeoff Chang 6/13/06 7:04 p.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty Sparkspartanerik 6/14/06 9:53 a.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkNevan 6/14/06 10:17 a.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkOllie 6/14/06 10:44 a.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkDavid Steingarten 6/14/06 11:12 a.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkGeoff Chang 6/15/06 9:23 a.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkFëanor 6/14/06 11:49 a.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkOutsider 6/14/06 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkThe Ash 6/14/06 1:25 p.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkABA 6/14/06 5:59 p.m.
     I think we have a winner! -nt- *NM*AOClaus 6/15/06 2:06 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.