glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?
Posted By: joel <joel_m_a@hotmail.com>Date: 6/13/06 10:07 a.m.

In Response To: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo? (UrsusArctos)

I just discovered an oddity, and I couldn't find mention of it on the net anywhere, so I decided to bring it up here.

In Chinese mythology, the "Dragon" is an important mythical being, and one of the twelve signs of the chinese zodiac. The Dragon is traditionally said to have 117 scales. 81 yang, and 36 yin; because the dragon is partly a preserver and partly a destroyer.

(Apparently, large destruction and small preservation by the number of scales.)

As well all know, Master Chief is Spartan 117.

In Halo there is a background of the Forerunners destroying themselves. It seems they also preserved a part of themselves by means of the Ark, a small part of their old race that became the Human race.

Now the talk of 'this is the way the world ends' and the possibility of the re-activation of the Halos, and the Ark again...

To me, it seems that the number 117, in accordance with the chinese dragon myth, is supposed to suggest large destruction, and a small preservation. So, is Master Chief going to destroy all sentient life again by means of the Halos, and preserve a small portion of humanity to rebuild again afterwards?

Message Index

Replies:

Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?UrsusArctos 4/2/06 8:57 a.m.
     Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?Spartan Jag 4/2/06 10:22 a.m.
           Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?UrsusArctos 4/3/06 8:40 a.m.
     Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?The Freeloader 4/2/06 11:26 a.m.
           Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?j41m3z 4/2/06 2:05 p.m.
                 Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?Doctor Nightfall 4/2/06 2:24 p.m.
                       Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?UrsusArctos 4/4/06 8:15 a.m.
                 Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?The Freeloader 4/2/06 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?Frofalcon 4/5/06 9:18 a.m.
                             Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?Frankie 4/5/06 5:07 p.m.
     Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?joel 6/13/06 10:07 a.m.
           Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?UrsusArctos 6/13/06 10:41 a.m.
           Re: Classical Chinese Literature in Halo?Popetacular 6/13/06 10:44 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.