Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Books to read....*OT*
Posted By: Ma1agateDate: 2/9/06 8:15 a.m.

In Response To: Books to read....*OT* (HaloNater)

: well i was just wondering what your peeps opinion on the Lord of the Rings
: books are. i say this because im gettin tired of reading the same 3 halo
: books over and over again and i havnt heard anything about a new one
: coming out in the near future. and after watching lord of the rings and
: playing the Battle for Middle Earth computer game for it, i thought about
: reading the books, so if any one has read them, what do you think?

The LoTR books are pretty dry. Unless you like reading about landscapes at length, I say skip them. I suggest the following:

Read Starhammer, The Vang: Military Form, and the Vang: Battlemaster, by Christopher Rowley. (in that order)

Read almost anything by Neal Stephenson or Richard K. Morgan (if you read Morgan, start with Altered Carbon).

Read Perdido Street Station, the Scar, and Iron Council, by China Mieville, (in that order).

Read anything by William Gibson, especially the Cyberspace trilogy, which starts with Neuromancer.

Read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

You could also read some Hunter S. Thompson, H.P. Lovecraft, or Karen Traviss. (if reading Traviss, start with City of Pearl)

I don't generally tend to read novels that are spinoffs of videogames or movies. They seem to smack heavily of unoriginality, banking on your familiarity with something else in order to enjoy them. I had read Signal to Noise and Signal Shattered (original titles by Nylund) before I read The Fall of Reach, and I have to say, I'd rather read his own material. I have read all of the Halo books, and I think tFoR is the best. I can't stand Dietz' writing, and First Strike really, REALLY streched things.

The best books I've read I simply think are unable to be translated into any other medium, because they use the strengths of the written word to convey things that IMO just can't be done in other media. There are lots of books out there that are ten times better than any spinoff novels. I say this because I know a lot of people whose reading habits only stick to popular franchises that were born in other media. I can't tell you the number of times I've met a Halo fan who has read the three Halo books and the LotR trilogy numerous times but hasn't read anything else but what school requires.

Be adventurous, if the cover or the blurb on a book seem the slightest bit interesting, pick it up and read it. If you're frugal, you can buy more books than you can carry for the price of one new videogame. The books will last you much longer, too.

~Ma1

said Gamasutra article

Message Index

Replies:

Books to read....*OT*HaloNater 2/8/06 10:09 p.m.
     Re: Books to read....*OT*Count Zero 2/8/06 10:28 p.m.
           Re: Books to read....*OT*Narcogen 2/8/06 10:31 p.m.
                 Re: Books to read....*OT*rapture 2/8/06 10:33 p.m.
     Re: Books to read....*OT*tsukahara10 2/8/06 10:47 p.m.
     Re: Books to read....*OT*scarab 2/9/06 1:08 a.m.
     Re: Books to read....*OT*Ma1agate 2/9/06 8:15 a.m.
     Re: Books to read....*OT*yakaman 2/9/06 1:23 p.m.
     Re: Books to read....*OT*Quantum 2/9/06 6:46 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.