Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: truth hurts.
Posted By: Zk315 <Zk315@hotmail.com>Date: 8/5/05 8:22 p.m.

In Response To: Re: truth hurts. (Sgt. Chicken)

: I decided I was gonna completly disagre with you once you insulted the grunts
: =P

: Seriously though, Halo doesn't really have that cliche of a story. Everything
: about the game itself is cliche yes, but I don't think the story is.
: Though that could just be my arrogence.

Well, actually, there is nothing really original in the (original) Halo story. Basically, it's just a bunch of composites of older sci-fi themes. The concept of a lone super soldier is pretty standard in modern culture (as well as ancient mythology - Jason, Percius, Theseus, et al) Halo itself? From the novel Ringworld, of course. Humans horribly outnumbered and facing incredible odds? Well, that's pretty much every science fiction story ever told (A few examples: Starhammer, Battlestar Galactica, and about 150 others) Though I'm willing to admit stories about humans easily winning was against unprepared enemies isn't very exciting. Bad guys who assimilate their enemies? I think that's a pretty overdone concept. Zerg, Borg, anything else from any movie or game ending in -rg, the undead from Warcraft III, vampires in a strange sort of way (Really, I think the flood are all about turning your allies against you - a concept people tend to be facinated by, myself included)

And finally, a race of ancients who have long since dissapeared, but the remains of their civilization lingers on. I'm thinking the Dwemer from The Elder Scrolls series, The Wheel of Time Series, the real world, Battlestar Gallactica (to a degree), The Dark Tower series, and so on and so forth.

Really, all I'm trying to say is that there is nothing new or original in Halo. I wouldn't neccessarily go so far to call it cliche, but still... It was an interesting story, and I enjoyed it, but, well, you know, there wasn't really anything groundbreaking.

Message Index

Replies:

truth hurts.Hell 8/2/05 11:38 p.m.
     Re: truth hurts.Sgt. Chicken 8/3/05 12:41 a.m.
           Re: truth hurts.Zk315 8/5/05 8:22 p.m.
                 One thing...58 8/5/05 8:58 p.m.
     Re: truth hurts.Peptuck 8/3/05 1:54 a.m.
     Truth will be hurt when the MC comes around! *NM*Scaraby 8/3/05 8:26 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.