Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Do your research, its out there.
Posted By: Ma1agateDate: 6/9/05 8:25 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Becoming a flood brain form (Scarab)

The Gravemind was what resulted from something like the Keyes blob you see in Halo. Three sizeable lifeforms smashed together with an egg in the middle, left to hatch, grow, and mutate into the Flood's hive-mind form.

As many know, the Flood are based directly on The Vang, the alien species created by Christopher Rowley and featured in three novels: Starhammer, The Vang: Military Form, and The Vang: Battelmaster. In Military Form, there is a scene where the Vang(the Flood) gestate one of their higher forms in exactly this same way. So I think its safe to say that explains the mystery of the Keyes blob.

In the case of the Gravemind we see on Halo 05, that particular one was lying in wait for millenia, I'm sure. The one on the bridge of the Truth and Reconciliation was probably set up to incubate but was destroyed when the Pillar of Autumn detonated...but maybe not. We'll see.

As for what the Flood did with the Prophet, yes, they essentially did choose what to do with him, and since the Prophets are rather frail-bodied but quite intelligent, they chose to merge him with the Gravemind.

Now what I'm wondering is if the Gravemind in fact is the ultimate highest form of the Flood. Because by the sheer fact that there were 2, the one on Halo 05, and the gestating one on the Bridge of the T&R, that would mean that a Gravemind doesn't have a total sphere of influence over all the Flood drones in existence, just those in its vicinity, which leads me to wonder whether there is not a higher form than that that can exert influence even over a Gravemind.

In Battlemaster, I believe it was, a character or two are taken to the Vang homeworld, where the last Military form goes to link back up with the rest of its race, only to find that the whole planet had lost its orbit and was flung on a random trajectory through space (because the Starhammer had been used to explode its sun), killing all life that inhabited it. You see the dessicated remains of all of the Higher Form's society. So for the Vang, at least, there were many levels of higher forms, all that constituted a sort of society on what I guess could be seen as their capitol planet. It would be cool if the Flood were the same way, but I have a feeling it won't be so. Although, the Gravemind that infests High Charity could well develop such a colony with all that biomatter and technology at its disposal, even though it is essentially immobile.

~Ma1

Message Index

Replies:

Becoming a flood brain formJimmy 6/8/05 9:49 p.m.
     Re: Becoming a flood brain formHikaru-119 6/8/05 10:19 p.m.
     Re: Becoming a flood brain formScarab 6/9/05 6:52 a.m.
           Do your research, its out there.Ma1agate 6/9/05 8:25 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.