Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo level
Posted By: rocksliderDate: 6/7/05 6:54 p.m.

In Response To: *OT* The Library: the best Halo level (Doug Auclair)

: So, I put it out to you, Halo community: the "Library" certainly is the best Halo level in my book. Agree?

I too enjoy the Library, so I thought I'd chip in a note of support. Ok it's repetitive, but it's also sort of mesmerising because of that, and also thanks to the creepy music. Doug enjoys the shotgun here (and the needler that I used to believe was perma-glued to his cyborg gloves), but for me the Library is pistol territory; that's why I like it. I'll generally go right through it using 'bait and retreat' tactics. You trigger an attack, then back off a bit and take down the mob with pistol fire. Do it right and the Flood rarely get close enough to trouble you. It's surely the safest way if that's your goal. Not that I don't appreciate a bit of close-up gung-ho stuff once in a while, but I like safety-conscious fighting for maximum realism.

But I do wish the lighting was better; it's very low-contrast, no matter what I do with the TV controls. I've tried carrots and everything. Also there are a few places where carrier forms unfairly (impossibly) materialize behind you, which breaks the realism.

I've got to comment on one point. Doug mentions that as an option you can run past nearly every enemy without firing a shot. But that's nothing to be pleased about, surely. Running or driving past entire groups of enemy will get you to the end of a level quicker ok, but it's also of zero interest combat-wise, which is why I personally adopt a "kill 'em all" policy when going through a level doing a speed run or whatever. Actually, when you can skip whole groups like this (and apparently the entire level in this case!), you could perhaps say it's a shortcoming of the game design; you're doing something the designers didn't really cope for.

As for favourite level though, there's no way it's going to a Flood level; the Covenant are way more interesting to me. Give me levels 2 or 5 anyday. Level 2 because of all that great rolling scenery and because it's got the rockslide megabattle. Level 5 because it's nice and long and there's so much additional fun to be had there, particularly the spiral path megabattle.

http://freespace.virgin.net/bad.cyborg/index.html

Message Index

Replies:

*OT* The Library: the best Halo levelDoug Auclair 6/5/05 3:32 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelCount Zero 6/5/05 3:34 p.m.
           off-topic from flood/forerunners, *OT* The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/5/05 5:05 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelEchoes 6/5/05 3:39 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelMichael M. 6/5/05 4:17 p.m.
           Thanks! Also, give it another go Re: The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/5/05 5:18 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelPaladin117 6/5/05 4:50 p.m.
           Yeah, Arbiter is goodSpitvalve 6/5/05 4:59 p.m.
     Dis Mug make good point...Jammerfer 6/5/05 5:08 p.m.
           Re: Dis Mug make good point...Varanos 6/6/05 12:10 p.m.
     In the words of Bungie:Jillybean 6/5/05 5:28 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelrockslider 6/7/05 6:54 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo leveldeadmonkey 6/7/05 7:04 p.m.
                 Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelTrellium E 6/7/05 7:12 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelCorran Horn 6/7/05 7:31 p.m.
           A beautiful, open game, Re: *OT* The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/7/05 11:09 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelSith 6/9/05 3:54 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.