Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBO Weekly Review
Posted By: Weekly ReviewDate: 4/1/04 9:09 a.m.

HBO Weekly Review

Week Ending April 1, 2004

Straight from Bungie's word-hole

1. Hethal asks Bungie for ANYTHING on the HEK status.

Frankie: "Back in the latter half of the year 2003 there was a widespread sense of dissatisfaction and frustration with Bungie because we hadn't said much of anything about the HEK. Some people viewed our silence as "proof" that we weren't doing anything at all, which was music to the ears of the proponents of the two dumbest conspiracy theories (namely, "HEK is finished and Bungie is just waiting for testing to finish" and "Gearbox shipped it to Bungie incomplete to get people of their cases"). The whole reason I want to start doing HEK Updates was to let people know that there was still interesting work going on. But it was a real struggle, especially in the early days, to write an update that would interest people while avoiding any explicit detail about all the subjects the artists, programmers and designers had decreed off-limits. I couldn't pull that off with the HEK just yet, and I'm not going to post "Yep, still working on it" every week. I'll wait until I have something that people want to hear. I can't even tell you what's happened this past week because I've been too busy to make my customary rounds asking the usual annoying questions. But I'll say this much: the last time I talked to Jason and Michael about what's happening with the HEK - probably about two weeks ago - their answers buoyed my spirits considerably. Those of you waiting for news need to relax; it's a long time coming, but it'll get here."

2. Gromit comments: "I realize there was a commitment to providing a weekly update during Halo 2's development, and there will, understandably, be less interesting stuff happening during the port, but the X-Box version of Halo 2 generated more than its share of updates like: *snip*

Frankie: "It should be pointed out that almost all of those updates were written when the Halo Update had become something of a weekly institution and I felt obligated to say something. I suspect the same will be true of the HEK: as soon as we start talking about them, we'll be disinclined to stop.

3. Gromit asks, "Is there perhaps a desire, conscious or unconscious, not to give too much publicity to the desktop version while Halo 2 is still high in its interest curve?

Frankie: "Are you kidding? Certainly not on my part. The day I can start telling people "Yes, we know what the actual shelf date is now. Click this link to check out the news story on Truth & Reconciliation for all the details" is going to be a very happy day. I think our real desire is not to start up the publicity engine before we're really ready. Whenever we say too much too soon, it comes back to bite us in the ass, often in the form of angry customers.

4. Dalan Galma asks, "But what's the timeline for reviving the store?"

Frankie: "The store is moving along quite nicely now. At this point we are willing to nip a few things off our opening lineup in order to reopen the doors sooner, so we may have a mere trickle of new swag right at the start rather than the raging rapids we originally planned. But we can always add new swag to the store over time. Hell, we may even get the bathing suits in time for summer.

PS: As I type these words I have a Halo 2 Soundtrack CD in my bookbag."

5. Miguel Chavez asks, "Who knows WHAT these guys are thinking..."

And Ferrex answers with, "Based on what I overhead while bugging Mord, it had something to do with Christopher Walken being Britney Spears' father.

Deep, troubling thoughts."

6. Zypper comments, "It seems that there's a mysterious CD case on the webcam right now. "

Matt's Response

After which, Mark Levin asks "Does it by any chance say "Every time a product ships, it takes us one step closer to the vision: A computer on every desk and in every home."?

And Frankie answers with, "I don't think so, but I'd have to pull it out of the closet to check, and that's way more effort than it's worth."

But Mark Levin presses on with, "That phrase was what is written on Microsoft Ship-It awards in Douglas Coupland's Microserfs, an excellent look at what it means to be a geek, and which is terrifyingly accurate in every other respect. Thanks anyway..."

And Frankie leaves no stone unturned with, "Every time a product ships , it takes us one step closer to the vision:empower people through great software - any time, any place and on any device. Thanks for the lasting contribution you have made to Microsoft history."

7. Achronos: "Never underestimate the power of a shroud of secrecy thinly-veiled by a sub-standard series of suppositions and innuendo. Especially innuendo. Just look how far The Webmaster has gotten in life."

Wu is me!

1. "If you don't feel like reading that... it says that you sent it at 3:46 am eastern time saturday morning... and the hotmail server finally got around to forwarding it to the bungie.org server at 5:35 pm eastern time saturday afternoon... 14 hours later. Gotta love Microsoft... "

2. "I can tell you're just gonna keep pushing this theory until someone pounds you over the head with the tru7h, so here you go: "

3. "My fear - it works for everyone but me; in my case, the hog (or ghost) runs me over. :) That would be my luck...)"

4. "I hate Count Chocula, and would be happy to attach a stickydoom to the evil little troll. Foe Hammer, though... I got choked up when she bit it the first time."

5. "...don't play coop with incompetent partners. "

6. "That series is MORE impressive, now that I've tried it (and failed). :)"

7. "It would be easier...to keep the forum clean of crap if you guys would stop responding to gnat."

Shishka-Bob

1. "Away foul troll, before I say something mean and get Lou in a tizzy..."

2. "Funny to see they named Sony in their lawsuit as well: expansion of the "evil empire?"

3. "Okay, that was a little crude, but those guys need to get girlfriends (or "strollers")."

4. "I hate to come down so hard on you, but we've had a few Chicken-Littles :) Keep lookin!"

5. "For crying out loud, you can't type stuff this funny an not expect me to crack up laughing while reading it at work."

6. "What about "Hard Target"? Granted, Louisiana isn't ring-shaped, but some of the people acted and talked like aliens..."

7. "Funny, you're like the guy who goes to the ketchup convention and then stands up in the middle of the audience and proclaims that ketchup sucks and mustard is where it's at."

Flood of Interesting Stuff

Khaim: Forerunner tech - What exactly do we know about them? And what do Newton's Laws have to do with it?

MasterChief21: Random musing about the Cov/Human war - Why do the Covenant hate us so?

Khaim: The Flood - What exactly do we know about them?

Nemesis 007: Found a Weird Trick in Sidewinder...

*Ar-Isildur of *WP*: Melee the Dropship! - Do you like haikus? And what do they have to do with dropships? Bring popcorn and find out! (had to leave that in)

Alfred Mordeir: Rants about Halo's story (Spoilers) - Dissin' Bungie has it's flood of side-effects!

FrogBlast: . . . I Made it to the waterfall. . . . - Can you?

Covenant Elite: Halo, A Marines Journal - FanFic keeps a comin'

GMcG: another excerpt from a marine's journal - and comin'

Warbow: Theory about Halo *SP* - Would Halo destroy children?

Protexts: language - How is it the Grunts speak English and not Gruntese?

gabe: I want to stab these people in the eye. - a little violent? Maybe not...

Nijhazer: Halo Merchandise Poll -- Everyone Vote - well, what are you waiting for?

mnemesis: Approximate results so far... - did you vote?

Jeff: Slipstream space question *SP* - if they cannot control where their ship goes how can they in FoR use slipstream space to get to some places?

FrogBlast: Banshee Flare Movie

Jeff: Just something i thought of while in the shower... - sparked quite a bit of interest. Check it out.

Trey Ikon: more misc. blue beam speculation *SP*

Xcruiser: Huge Halo Theory *BIG SP* *LONG READ* - A = B, B=C, C=D, and so on...

I want my HTv!

Matt(Uh...#5): BobSuicide

Siva (W'rk): New Bungie media... - video, video, video

Siva (W'rk): Napalm Death video? - and more video

Off the Mark

Nijhazer posts "Totally OT: Someone stop this man... now..."

Trolling Through the Park One Day...

And the award for "Maybe I can fool them by using different names to push my idiocy" goes to ...

john/mark - "i was driveing around in a worthog with a couple of marines and outta the blue they started shooting the the other marines so i got out of the warthog and went over to see why. when i sudenly saw them turn into the flood"

Newbie Corner:

FAQ's are great!

Can't view all of them gosh darn cool movies? Go here!

Search functions are great!

Halo 2 is coming for Mac / PC soon!

Message Index

Replies:

HBO Weekly ReviewWeekly Review 4/1/04 9:09 a.m.
     WhoaaaMikeMan445 4/1/04 9:35 a.m.
           Or a REALLY bad dream...*NM*Jamirus99 4/1/04 3:49 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewDocOctavius 4/1/04 9:50 a.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly Review *NM*Eridanus 4/1/04 3:50 p.m.
           Re: HBO Weekly ReviewEridanus 4/1/04 4:01 p.m.
     About that merchandise thread...Anton P. Nym 4/3/04 7:59 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.