Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Some reading to do before playing Halo 2
Posted By: Wintermute @ work <durandal217@yahoo.com>Date: 3/1/04 7:04 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Starcraft and Halo (Ray)

Actually, do a little digging and you'll find that Jason Jones has already explained much of the inspiration for Halo.

First off, the Halo superweapon idea came from Starhammmer, a novel by Christopher Rowley that is still to this day one of my favorite pieces of space opera. The Flood also came from Starhammer, they were basically transplanted directly from the book with a few very minor changes, they were called the Vang Oormikoowl. The Starhammer was the superweapon designed to win a war between an ancient race and the Vang.

Starhammer was the first of three books about the Vang, if you read the second book, The Military Form, you'll get some insight into the Keyes blob that MC punches his hand into in Halo. Its a breeding ground for a higher form of the Flood/Vang lifeform. I have a feeling we will see some of these new higher forms in Halo 2. I would almost say you can count on it.

The idea of the Halo superstructure came from the Ringworld series by Larry Niven.

The idea of the Covenant caste system came from the novel The Mote in God's Eye, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle(sp?). If you really want some good insight into the covenant, read at least this first book in the Motie series, I have a feeling we will learn a whole lot about the covenant heirarchy in Halo 2, and I think there will be very many similarities between the Covies and the Moties, especially in regards to their technology and the way they use it.

Cheers!

~W

Message Index

Replies:

Starcraft and HaloScipio 2/29/04 6:23 p.m.
     Re: Starcraft and HaloMantis819 2/29/04 6:44 p.m.
     Re: Starcraft and HaloRay 3/1/04 5:11 a.m.
           Some reading to do before playing Halo 2Wintermute @ work 3/1/04 7:04 a.m.
                 Re: Some reading to do before playing Halo 2Ray 3/1/04 10:18 a.m.
     Re: Starcraft and HaloLone_Sniper_SG 3/1/04 4:02 p.m.
           Dare i say anything about the Zerg or Protoss?*NM*Lone_Sniper_SG 3/1/04 4:04 p.m.
                 Re: Dare i say anything about the Zerg or Protoss?Wintermute @ work 3/1/04 4:23 p.m.
                       Re: Dare i say anything about the Zerg or Protoss?Scipio 3/2/04 6:13 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.