Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Michael M.'s book speculations (updated) *Long*
Posted By: Michael M. <Dexterdot@hotmail.com>Date: 1/31/04 5:45 p.m.

Well, if you folks remember, back in 2003 I made a few posts speculating on the many facts of tFoR. It was named, "Michael M's observant views of tFoR".
I'm an attention seeking little bugger, so I decided to post yet another update.
I just finished reading First Strike, so I couldn't think of a better time to do it.

NOTE: This version of the speculations will be broken into sections of books.

ALSO NOTE: Spoilers ahoy! Keep away from this post if you don't want the books to be spoiled for ye!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halo: The Fall of Reach

1) Cheif Mendez may not make an appearance again. "John never saw [Mendez] again". It's sad... but Mendez by the look of those words, Mendez may not be making another appearance. Straight from the words of Nylund. Unless of course someone other than MC sees him in Halo 2... Dr. Halsey?(Hint, hint.)

2) The covenant stealth ship Keyes destroyed during the orbital battle for Sigma Octanus IV. Remember? There was a tiny covie ship, "bigger than the a covenant dropship". A phantom? Keyes pondered that it was a stealth ship, so after a few unsuccesful archer missiles, he drove right into it, crushing it.

I suspect that maybe just before it was crushed, it let out the tiny probe which would attach onto the iriqouis(Keyes' ship). More on that next.

3) After the battle for Sigma Octanus IV, Keyes set a course around the planet again. A tiny probe, identical to the rest of the scrap
metal from the Cradle (the repair station which took a hit for Keyes'
ship), attached itself to the iriquois' armor. Perhaps this 'probe' revealed the location of reach. But according to FS, the covenant attacked reach for it's crystal under the CASTLE structure. But that doesn't stop the possiblity that the probe told the covenant of the location of Reach.

3) About the crystals on Cote d' Azur: Apparently, those crystals the hunters
were trying to nab in the red box were the same as the ones at grid
thirteen-by-twenty-four and possibly the one below Reach's CASTLE structure(FS). Meh. Well, Dr. Halsey mentions the encrypted message that Keyes recorded on the iriquois was similar to the writing on
the crystals(bad memory, could be wrong). Perhaps all of these things are related. Is the First Strike crystal the same thing?

This expands another possibility:
Maybe the covenant roam the galaxy in search of all of those crystals. Sure, there would be a reason why they wanted to destroy humans as well, but I believe since they nuked Sigma Octanus IV and Reach for those crystals, perhaps a similar artifact is on Earth? That could mean another reason why Humans could have descended from the forerunners. Who knows?

4) A recent post claimed there was only one AI on the PoA: Cortana. Apparently, Wellsley was just brought along for the ride. Actually, there are two AIs on the PoA. As it states in chapter thirty(I think), when Cpt. Keyes is being toured around on the PoA by Lt. Hikowa, she says there is a backup AI on the ship used for point defense. Of course, this AI is Wellsley as mentioned in The Flood.

5) Remember when the MC takes Cortana for her first ride? It was an operation by ONI to see if he could die. If you remember clearly, at one point Cortana goes away to deal with some other business. A moment later, she comes back to continue helping poor MC. Soon it says while she was gone she set up a sattelite to watch the MC's every move.

Later in the book, Dr. Halsey lets Cortana stay on duty with a ship's engines to keep her out of trouble. That doesn't stop her. In a microsecond, Cortana infiltrated ONI's secret databases, review's John's files and makes sure Ackerson gets his comeuppance by being sent off to do field duty.

Hopefully, you will understand what I'm trying to poke at. In just a few seconds, Cortana can get up to some pretty sneaky stuff. That's why I wonder what Cortana got up to just before you first recieve Cortana in the game. There are numerous possibilities.

6) Remember Corporal Harland? The guy who MC saves at Sigma Octanus IV? Well, a few days after the Sigma Octanus incident, the MC is called along with Cpl. Harland, Dr. Halsey and Cpt. Keyes to be spoken to by some ONI spooks. I remember just before Corporal Harland goes in, he asks MC about the spartans. He asks if there was any way for him to join. MC doesn't say much, so Harland asks if anyone asks MC, he should sign up Harland on the double. I think Harland got his wish. In halo 2, I think he will most likely make an appearance as a :gasp: spartan! Either that, or an ODST. Either way, he may make an appearance.

Halo: The Flood

Sorry... not much to see here. It was a while since I last read this one and I think it's all pretty much straight forward.

Halo: First Strike

1) All through this book, there's something hiding about Cortana. There were a few clues as to what, but I think the main part is about Cortana's rather feisty personality after being in the control room. Not respecting Polaski as a pilot, snapping back at MC like that a few times, etc. Something doesn't quite add up. Let's see here: As she was deconstructing the covie AI in the Ascendant Justice, she noticed a familiar signal in the core of it. She replicated the file, and saved it. Nylund hinted that it was something about the core of Halo, but then Cortana pushed the matter aside. Back to her temper, I think somehow the index or 343 GS managed to worm a part of them into her. Meh.

2)James: I can't exactly remember if this I've got the name right, but in general I'm referring to the third Spartan in Fred and Kelly's team on Reach. There was never any proof he was KIA during the attack with the tac-nuke on the huge Covenant cruiser. We're lead to believe that he's dead, but maybe we will see him in the future. Maybe.

3) Doc Halsey: After the MC wakes up after his blackout while sealing the hull on the Ascendant Justice-Gettysburg, Doctor Halsey seems more hostile than before. Like Cortana. Maybe they share the same feelings?

Phew... well, that's it for today! Constructive critism is welcome!

*Breaths out*

^_-

Message Index

Replies:

Michael M.'s book speculations (updated) *Long*Michael M. 1/31/04 5:45 p.m.
     Re: Michael M.'s book speculations (updated) *LongYayap the grunt 1/31/04 6:28 p.m.
     Re: Michael M.'s book speculations (updated) *Longmeleeman 1/31/04 9:14 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.