Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***
Posted By: guy who doesn't post....too often <brandonrpsu@yahoo.com>Date: 8/5/03 9:13 p.m.

guy who doesn't post....too often's thoughts on Halo50K 2.
-

So yeah, it was pretty damn sweet.

Ahem.

Let's start from the beginning.
*Roadtrip Flasback* Started off at 4am and the air was wonderful. I thought this image would most capture my thoughts and feelings as I drove:

I took the exit that proudly displayed "Saddle Brook" as it's name. I drove through the town glancing left and gawking right. I thought I had to be in the wrong Saddle Brook. Mapquest is by no means reliable, so I pulled into a local pharmacy to ask if there was a local Holiday Inn that touted itself as a "Convention Center". The obese man at the checkout said there was, so I politely asked for directions.
I pulled into the parking lot and was happy to see this:

My delight continued whence, in the lobby of the hotel, I saw this:

I was even happier, when I entered the "BallRoom" and saw this:

Life when I first got to Halo50K 2 was like being a pyro in a forest fire. All you want to do is set fires, and god damnit the job is already done.

The tourney didn't even start till 10:00a.m. and at 8:15a.m. every one of the forty 27" TV's was occupied by a team of 4. I had my XBOX-in-a-tower all ready for action, and about 50 lbs of networking supplies in a duffel bag. I was looking around the room for some familiar faces. Sadly, I found none. However, I introduced myself to the most in-charge looking fellow, and my instincts were right. Dolbex (Gary) was orchestrating the event and had time to hob-knob with some of us spectators. This is him(I don't think he realized he was being photographed at this point :)):

The FFA action started to seed all the individual players, and now, since I wasn't playing, I felt really out-of-place. I happened to recognize Elan Sleazbagano (Paul Gelardi) from his "Biggest Halo Fan" entry. He seemed a little startled that I knew who he was :) I quickly explained our forum connection and he immediately knew me(he did after all, have a big part in my name :))
He was there with some of his crew, and I also noticed JYNX( in the backwards-hat):
Those two went off to play in the "official tournament" and I was again all by myself, when all of a sudden ..... who should appear....but the number-1 Bungie Fan, (Freewill) Miguel) Chavez!
As per the usual Miguel was the life of the party, bringing his trademark HiDef Projector along with him:

With a little help from the hotel and one of their white bed linens, and a little light-bulb-unscrewing on my part, we had a 10ft by 10 ft screen on which we could enjoy Halo all day(It was much clearer in person than in the picture):

Miguel brought along Konrad9 and Ninjas on Fire was either just nearby, or part of the entorage as well. The four of us comprised the core group of gamers that occupied some of the 16 seats we had all networked for the entire day. An online acquaintence of mine, who happened to be sharing the cost of the hotel room that night, as well as one of his friends, showed up a little later with some goodies for that night. The day wore on with me being tired and Miguel and my buddy Scott playing Co-op on the projector screen. Let's just say people were impressed.
I said my goodbyes and crashed for a few hours so I could be rejuvenated for the night.
I'm very glad I did, because when I woke, I saw the most Cat5 cable I ever saw being prepared for Lan Goodness with absolutely any room in the hotel. 1st floor? 10th floor? No problem:

We had two xboxen hooked up in our room, and we spent the night (well past dawn) lanning with clans from around the country and spanning the hotel:
Lots more sleep ensued and I woke to rush to checkout by noon and still catch the 2v2 finals. The match was between [STK]Ogres1 &2 and [TDT]Shizz &[OPN]Clockwork. This one was going to be good.

I sat down behind one of the TV's, hoping to watch Shizz work, as I have heard he is a methodical GOD. It turns out I picked the Ogres' side and I was just happy to have a great view. If I had to pick one word to describe these guys, it would be FUCKINGWOW. They are 16(or17) year-old twins from Ohio and let me just say that anybody out there who thinks they have a pair that could beat these two is either on drugs, or Korhal and HardcoreHalo. I really cannot express the level of talent I saw as I watched the 2v2 finals. This was a pair of Ultra-Gods, matched up against a pair of Super-Gods (Ultra is better).

I wouldn't have been impressed if they were playing some n00bs, but to totally dominate two of the best players out there, is amazing. Some of these kills would make you shudder. I saw some of the best players with a look of complete disbelief on their face when they saw some of the awesome, mind-blowing shit these two pulled off. I saw one of them jump off a ledge, look STRAIGHT DOWN completely in MID-AIR, and shoot Shizz in the HEAD with a SNIPER RIFLE, all in the first half of the fall. The ledge is the one above the shotgun area in damnation, so it wasn't like he was falling very far. I cannot tell you all the stories from the two matches I saw them play, but these two are the real deal. Teamwork doesn't begin to describe their level of awareness of eachother. I stood up with a new understanding of just what the best of the best is, but not before I got two sub-par shots of each of the 2v2 final games Post-game Carnage Report (it was a best of 3):

After that, I played a bunch of 4v4 with random clan members who were either out of the toruney at that point, or were waiting for their game. Here are some shots of some final scores of the games I was in (I'm KingPin):

Here are some random shots of some of the teams representing at Halo50K 2:

Here are two really cool shots that are a little hard to make out, but if you look closely, you can see the onscreen message when you kill someone and when you are killed, has been changed by a modder(he was one of the XBC reps):

I talked to a buddy of mine and Ar-Isildur's who is from Altoona, and here's a shot of him playing with his clan [TSK](he is Loco-Gringo)(he's the white shirt):

Even a young girl got in on the action :)

Last but not least, I was introduced to [HP]Darkman by NoF(I think) and he seems pretty nice. Here is him and his team:

So, overall, the tournament was awesome. Well worth the drive, I can't wait for the next one. Great work Team Halo50K!

P.S. Sell Bawls next time! :)

C.O.E.R.C.E.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***guy who doesn't post....too often 8/5/03 9:13 p.m.
     SweetToby Dillman 8/5/03 9:25 p.m.
           Re: SweetLion 8/5/03 9:53 p.m.
                 Thats cool. *NM*AJ Mendoza 8/6/03 12:03 a.m.
                       Awesome!Break Point 8/6/03 12:15 a.m.
     Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Konrad9 8/6/03 1:48 a.m.
           Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***dogchow33 8/6/03 2:07 a.m.
                 Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Hawk7886 8/6/03 3:06 a.m.
                 Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Konrad9 8/6/03 3:45 a.m.
           Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***nof 8/6/03 11:49 a.m.
                 Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Al_Coholic 8/6/03 2:03 p.m.
                       did you read the text?guy who doesn't post....too often 8/6/03 2:54 p.m.
                             Re: did you read the text?Al_Coholic 8/6/03 6:13 p.m.
     Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Mainevent 8/6/03 4:15 p.m.
           Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Sarah 8/6/03 4:18 p.m.
     Man I wish I could've been there *NM* *NM*Sarah 8/6/03 4:16 p.m.
           Not only did it have 343 it had JenkinTown,Wierd! *NM*AJ Mendoza 8/6/03 4:30 p.m.
                 Re: Not only did it have 343 it had JenkinTown,WieAJ Mendoza 8/6/03 4:31 p.m.
                       God, weird or what!! *NM* *NM*Sarah 8/7/03 11:30 a.m.
     Holy crap, that's amazing, why you diss Korhal?The n00b 8/6/03 7:15 p.m.
     Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Elan Sleazbagano 8/6/03 11:02 p.m.
           Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Louis Wu 8/7/03 5:04 a.m.
           Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Miguel Chavez 8/7/03 10:51 a.m.
                 Re: Halo50K2 Write-Up ***MANY PICS ***Elan Sleazbagano 8/7/03 6:22 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.