Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I disagree
Posted By: mad.max <max.too@talk21.com>Date: 10/24/99 9:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I disagree (Noctavis =PN=)

> Can you share some of these with me/us? I'd like to dissect the
> nitty-gritty specifics... If you could toss me either some files
> or URLs, I'd appreciate it.

Share the problems with you? I'll try and remember them. As for files or URLs I'm afraid I can't, for one thing I am on a University computer, not my own, and I never have put up one of the shitty pages. Sorry.

As far as I can remember, IE had great problems with animated GIFs. I was creating a pretty simple GIF image, with about 30 frames, looping, and IE didn't do the masks right, and so I had to od each frame exactly.

Um. Text flow into the graphics, you know, where you have a graphic on the page with text supposed to flow nicely around (what's the tag, I can't remember), but the last couple of lines of text always used to collide with the image. Let me try a dodgy ASCII picture...

What happened -

aaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaaaaxxxxx
aaaaaaaxxxxx
aaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaa

What should have happened -

aaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaa ppppp
aaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaa

I hope that makes sense ('a' is text, 'p' is piccy, 'x' is messy)

What else.....

Tables didn't always work, when using the <nomargin> tag (although that MIGHT not be W3C, I'm not sure. In which case, feel free to kill me). It always used to have a margin on the right hand side of the page, even with 100% all over the place.

> You say they're perfectly W3C-conforming? Were you using layers
> or anything of the sort?

Nope. I don't tend to use layers, until more recently (doing stuff with JavaScript and GoLive 4)

> No they haven't. NetScrape still has ugly table support. The
> table-crash bug was fixed, but the rest still has plenty of
> problems.

Hmmmm. I really can't say I've ever seen any table problems with NS. Maybe it's cause I define my cells very well (I use GoLive and then tidy it up with BBEdit). If you can point me at an example, I'll head on over.

> For instance... if you don't define a very specific (pixel or
> percentage) width or height for a given table cell, NetScrape
> has a lot of difficulty adjusting it intelligently in relation
> to other table cells.

Ah. I always define my cells really well (percentages or pixels for all of them). And yes, I have actually noticed that sometimes they disappear if you don't define them well. Heights suck (in general though, on IE and NS)

> That's just it. Why should you have to hold down shift? It also
> isn't consistent or reliable.... there have been plenty of times
> that I've had to close down NS and then reopen it just to view
> updates to a given page.

I never have to leave Netscape to update a page. Maybe it is a difference in our caching system? (Mac/Win or Home/Uni, I don't know)

I know that I use a proxy server for everything.

> It is true that Microsoft likes to throw in a few new tags now
> and then, but they still conform much more... Most books I have
> read or browsed that discuss the differences between NS and IE
> will tell you that IE holds to the standard better.

Hmmm. We must read different books, because I can safely say that all the books I read say that NS holds better :-) I do think though that ALL browsers should be FORCED to conform to ALL standards, and creating new tags should have to be approved through the W3C, and added to the next update of the HTML Language.

> Want to know something really funny? JavaScript originated as a
> NetScrape language... there has been a new standard for JS
> called ECMA (or the ECMAscript standard) and Microsoft is
> following this much better than Netscape has, to date.

Really? I didn't know that. For some reason I thought JavaScript had been invented by Sun? Dunno where the hell that came from :-)

> Hrm... to the letter? I was hearing that there are some rather
> common things that it may not support.... table backgrounds?

No, it will support everything apparently. Right now it doesn't (I think the latest is iCab 1.7 and there are quite a view things missing, like Java support.

> If MS didn't already have a monopoly, Netscape would be the ones
> we would be hating.

I'm sorry if my words came over wrong, I am not saying which of NetScape and Microsoft I prefer, but I do think that they might have some bias over platforms, and that programs may render and operate differently on different platforms.

I just realised who I was talking to as well. How's HaloNews coming along? Any more big scoops coming our way?

See ya

mad.max

Message Index

Replies:

Some Stats, for those who keep trackLouis Wu 10/24/99 12:22 a.m.
     IE!?!Daft Shadow =PN= 10/24/99 12:41 a.m.
           Browser war! *throws his mouse at DS's head*Noctavis =PN= 10/24/99 3:30 a.m.
                 I disagreemad.max 10/24/99 6:20 a.m.
                       Re: I disagreeNoctavis =PN= 10/24/99 6:57 a.m.
                             iCabCyberBob 10/25/99 3:39 a.m.
                                   Re: iCabJägermeister 10/25/99 1:14 p.m.
                       Re: I disagreeNoctavis =PN= 10/24/99 7:10 a.m.
                             Read the above one (frickin' laptop mouse) NTNoctavis =PN= 10/24/99 7:17 a.m.
                                   Hate it when that happens (NT)mad.max 10/24/99 9:42 a.m.
                             Re: I disagreeClaude Errera 10/24/99 9:24 a.m.
                                   Missing CSS Supportmad.max 10/24/99 11:21 a.m.
                                         Re: Missing CSS SupportFractalus =PN= 10/24/99 6:31 p.m.
                                               I do the same thingSonicStorm 10/25/99 3:02 a.m.
                                   Forced refreshNoctavis =PN= 10/24/99 8:03 p.m.
                             Re: I disagreemad.max 10/24/99 9:41 a.m.
                                   HTML nitty-grittyNoctavis =PN= 10/25/99 5:03 a.m.
                                   HTML nitty-grittyNoctavis =PN= 10/25/99 6:25 a.m.
                                         Re: HTML nitty-grittymad.max 10/25/99 2:16 p.m.
                                               Re: HTML nitty-grittyNoctavis =PN= 10/25/99 5:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: HTML nitty-grittymad.max 10/26/99 11:36 a.m.
                       yeah, they are differentSonicStorm 10/25/99 2:56 a.m.
                 Just rememberedmad.max 10/24/99 6:23 a.m.
                 My Mac is 100% Microcrock free! NTJägermeister 10/24/99 5:35 p.m.
                 Re: Browser war! *throws his mouse at DS's head*Cheese 10/24/99 8:03 p.m.
                 Amen Brother! (NT)SonicStorm 10/25/99 2:52 a.m.
           Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackJoeDaMac 10/24/99 12:13 p.m.
                 Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackMage 10/24/99 12:21 p.m.
                       Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackTsao =PN= 10/24/99 1:47 p.m.
                             Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackMage 10/24/99 3:44 p.m.
                 Dont forget the macusers here with windows@work ntCyberBob 10/25/99 3:31 a.m.
                       Re: Dont forget the macusers here with windows@worJägermeister 10/25/99 1:13 p.m.
           What are you guys talking about?Freewill 10/24/99 12:57 p.m.
           Re: IE!?!SonicStorm 10/25/99 2:49 a.m.
                 Re: IE!?!SiliconDream 10/25/99 10:52 a.m.
     Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackTroy Lawlor 10/24/99 6:13 p.m.
           Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackLouis Wu 10/24/99 6:56 p.m.
     Re: Some Stats, for those who keep trackBlack Marlin 10/25/99 6:31 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.