Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: All of you should read his message!
Posted By: Callabad <callabad@disinfo.net>Date: 7/28/99 7:08 a.m.

In Response To: All of you should read his message! (Freewill)

1irst off, great analysis (true!)
2econd, who killed the reply box? I had a great reply set and ready to go and b.org just sorta cut out from under me! Arggh!

Anyway...

>If this AI is the progeny of Durandal and Thoth, who's the mother, >given both of those entities were arguably male?

I tend to agree with most of what you have said (and am healthfully dubious of the rest, but this issue of gender in AIs I find a little odd. In my crooked mode of thinking, unless gender memes are somehow permanently ingrained into the consciousness of an AI (there are no biological parts to speak of and therefore no genes unless someone knows otherwise) they should be able to theoretically overcome any such gender typing. Certainly a rampant one should be able to figure out how to do it.

Concerning, the issue of merging, I don't believe gender should have to play a part in it - gender may in fact be a sort of mask for dealing with humans (who arguably have a difficult time dealing with things they can't map a gender onto) over an asexual mind. For an AI, cloning themself should be simple enuff (there's no physical matter to lose, you just need to find a place to put the new you) and merging, well if it is a matter of fusing one's memories, that should be basically simple (unless they're stored in two different formats - s'pht and terran for example) and fusing one's personality(s) may just be a matter of matching up the two sets of variables and finding the average . . .

%)

Message Index

Replies:

Cortana and HaloNarcogen 7/27/99 4:11 p.m.
     All of you should read his message!Freewill 7/27/99 6:39 p.m.
           Sequels (was Re: Cortana and Halo)Narcogen 7/27/99 7:06 p.m.
                 Re: Sequels (was Re: Cortana and Halo)Forensic 7/28/99 1:38 p.m.
           Re: All of you should read his message!Shataan 7/27/99 7:10 p.m.
                 Halo BookNarcogen 7/28/99 7:47 a.m.
           Re: All of you should read his message!174 7/27/99 9:04 p.m.
           Re: All of you should read his message!Callabad 7/28/99 7:08 a.m.
           Re: All of you should read his message!Forensic 7/28/99 1:21 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.