| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Re: New Perspectives on G5

Posted By: Nathan <nathan22t@yahoo.com>
Date: 10 June 2001, 18:04

In Response To: Re: New Perspectives on G5 (Locucious)

The glyphs are jpegs. Therefore they have been compressed and when viewed they are a bit-map image. This means that they do resize poorly, unlike vector art. However, I did not try to change the size and keep the image looking the same, as you could with vectors. In effect, by viewing the image, at say 1000%, each pixel is made 1000% larger and takes up many pixels with its color. This way, though it looks crappy, it is in no way incorrect or confusing. You are seeing each pixel in a proportional manner. I agree that applying sharpening techniques would alter the image and 'make the problem worse'. And for this reason I used none.

I misspoke by saying that it was anti-aliasing. Its sort of the same effect, but the wrong description. Compression error with some possible blurring due to a resize, is closer to what I mean. Look at the glyphs, they aren't sharp at all, nothing at all like what I am sure you get when you do vector art. At such small sizes, there aren't enough pixels to show very much detail, the result is the blur that can make the image play tricks on our mind and not look as it is intended. I guarantee the glyphs were much sharper when they were drawn. Look at any area where two lines or two dark areas come close to one another. They seem to sort of connect... don't they? This is where their two blurry 'fields' that surround them combine and make a relatively dark area like you see between the A and the C in glyph 4, for example. I am not a graphics expert so I can’t explain it perfectly, but its clear to me that the image in the 5th glyph is not enclosed. It can seem like it is at first glance, but if you take a look at the image in a (per pixel) proportionally larger state (aka: blow up) you will see what I am talking about. If it was completely enclosed, there would be no severe dimming where the lines of the images connect. Its quite simple when it comes down to it.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Bungie Fanfest Board is maintained by with WebBBS 3.21.