/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Don't be so glum . . .
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 6/6/05 11:04 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Don't be so glum . . . (D-M.A.)

: One major reason for me gluming would be that I purchased one of those new
: iMacs a few weeks ago... feels like a totally worthless buy now. Also, I'm
: a software developer, and the switch from MacOS9 to X was pretty painful,
: even though Apple claimed it was as easy as stomping on kittens, getting
: java apps converted to MacOSX. This will probably not be any less painful,
: which is why I won't do it. I'm going Windows only for now on, Steve can
: keep on switching standards 'til purple frogs comes out of his ass, I
: won't be there to watch it.

Apparently if you're using Xcode it's a simple recompile. It seems from what I've read that from a developer or new user's point of view this isn't really that big of a deal at all.

What I'm concerned about is the impact on the ENTRENCHED users. I've lived through both 68k->PPC and OS9->OSX and neither was really all that happy an experience. 68k->PPC was all sunshine and rainbows as for the prospects (it looked like a good idea), but actually getting there was a pain and a half. OS9->OSX had some big perks but even now I'm not happy with the way OSX and the iApps do things (breaking with the Mac way of thing, which was good)... but the switch was eventually painless enough, which OSX "caught up" with where it was lacking over OS9, that it was worth the switch.

But PPC->x86, the prospects don't seem like such a great idea to begin with (and I suspect this is more an issue of supply problems than architecture, i.e. all three next-gen consoles using PPC variants and sucking up IBM and Motorola's fab time), AND the switch over is going to be as painful as 68k->PPC, with emulation and fat binaries and all the ensuing compatibility with older and non-mainstream software. I really don't see the point. Also, I've been very happy lately that computer in general are now all powerful enough that even my 4 year old G4 can still run the latest and greatest stuff aside from heavy media (video or 3D) work. But with the architecture change, how long until developers just don't bother with PPC versions of their programs anymore, even though my old PPC would handle them just fine?

If Apple had decided to support BOTH x86 AND PPC permanently, I would wholeheartedly support this move. As it is, they're basically telling their established PPC base "Go fuck yourself. Oh I'm sorry, here, have a cookie."

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Apple to use Intel? (OT)Steve Levinson 6/5/05 5:06 p.m.
     Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Kyjel 6/5/05 5:24 p.m.
           Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)D-M.A. 6/5/05 7:56 p.m.
                 Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Reiginko 6/5/05 8:46 p.m.
                       Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)D-M.A. 6/6/05 5:15 a.m.
                             Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Bob-B-Q 6/6/05 5:23 a.m.
                                   Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Adam Ashwell 6/6/05 9:56 a.m.
     From his own mouth - it's true! *NM*Steve Levinson 6/6/05 8:33 a.m.
           bye apple - it was nice knowing you! *NM*D-M.A. 6/6/05 8:36 a.m.
                 Don't be so glum . . .Steve Levinson 6/6/05 9:03 a.m.
                       Re: Don't be so glum . . .D-M.A. 6/6/05 10:44 a.m.
                             Re: Don't be so glum . . .Forrest of B.org 6/6/05 11:04 a.m.
                                   Re: Don't be so glum . . .Steve Levinson 6/6/05 11:46 a.m.
                                         Re: Don't be so glum . . .Kanen Faud'r 6/6/05 12:58 p.m.
                                         Re: Don't be so glum . . .Forrest of B.org 6/6/05 1:17 p.m.
                                   Toasted...Tasnu Arakun 6/7/05 11:41 p.m.
           I can see the ads now...Callie21V 6/6/05 5:10 p.m.
                 Re: I can see the ads now...Kyjel 6/6/05 5:49 p.m.
                 Best post I've read in a long time! :) *NM*Reiginko 6/7/05 2:16 a.m.
                 Re: I can see the ads now...Forrest of B.org 6/7/05 8:14 a.m.
     Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam luxTyler 6/6/05 1:34 p.m.
           Re: Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam luPurple Penguin 6/6/05 9:10 p.m.
                 Re: Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam luKanen Faud'r 6/7/05 6:42 a.m.
     Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Vid Boi 6/8/05 2:07 a.m.
           Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Reiginko 6/8/05 5:44 a.m.
                 Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Johannes Gunnar 6/8/05 9:29 a.m.
                       Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Speaker-To-Animals 6/8/05 10:31 a.m.
           Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Speaker-To-Animals 6/8/05 10:30 a.m.
                 Re: Apple to use Intel? (OT)Bob-B-Q 6/8/05 11:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.