/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I think you missed the point
Posted By: Brian Wise (Mr. Cactus)Date: 9/21/04 4:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I think you missed the point (deathmonger)

: As to the aesthetics of blood as portrayed in FPS games, it's not pretty. I'd
: rather look at the splat from a rocket than, say, Barney, or a 7-11
: storefront, or , God help us, Donald Trump, but it's still no thing of
: beauty, and I suppose I have dehumanized myself to some extent by looking
: at all those carcasses flying across my screen. But in life there are
: essential things and peripherals, and games are the latter. My concern is
: for kids who for lack of parenting or other reasons make games, violent
: or otherwise, the core activity of their lives. My own kids are going to
: be kept pretty busy, and when they are able to safely cut down a tree and
: properly sharpen the ax afterwards, I'll let them play Marathon. OK,
: Susie, this is a SPNKR. Don't use it in corridors...

The desensitizing mark that is placed on video games is actually quite interesting. In short, I believe it is the thought that the more blood and gore that one person sees, the more used to that situation that person gets. Now, taking this definition of the phrase, many things in our society desensitizes us in ways we can only begin to comprehend.

The biggest factor the average American social life is television, more specifically, the news. It has become obvious in the past few decades that the news media has tendencies to overstimulate and present a lot of terrible and potentially upsetting scenes, for children and adults alike. Learning about the car crash near your old high school that killed two people and severely harmed another hits close to home, but many of us has had this experience before.

As the largest economic power in the world, we are not only desensitized to violence in the media, but we are also unaware of all the immoral and risky business practices that are taking place. If anybody here has read Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation", and if you have, raise your hand, keep in mind that everytime you walk into a McDonald's, that everyone one of your purchases spurs on more turnover rates, medical and saftey problems in meatpacking plants, tainted meat, and an overall sense of economic imperialism across the US and the world. Of course that's only the tip of the iceberg, but I am wary of people such as my friend who would respond to this by just dismissing it and saying "Aww, fuck it, whatever".

I have felt desensitized to video games like most people would say that would happen and I admit it. But I feel I have only been desensitized in that field only, and not in life. I still understand what my parents told me was fundamentally right or wrong, which does not mean I don't know the grey areas, but it means my parents had the decency to actually teach me about violence at a young age so I wouldn't be fully ignorant about in the future. It seems to me that video games are all about entertainment, but if some bible belt radicals want to make them seem evil then they are only destroying themselves by placing a moral value on an unrelated issue.

-B. Wise

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Found a very ignorant articleAnonymous 9/20/04 6:03 p.m.
     Ignorant IndeedZetor 9/20/04 6:10 p.m.
           Re: Ignorant Indeed *NM*ukimalefu 9/20/04 6:56 p.m.
           On A Slightly Positive Note...Bob-B-Q 9/21/04 2:15 a.m.
                 Re: On A Slightly Positive Note...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 2:46 a.m.
           COMPLACENCYJohn 9/21/04 4:56 a.m.
                 I think you missed the pointZetor 9/21/04 5:09 a.m.
                       Re: I think you missed the pointJacke 9/21/04 8:19 a.m.
                       Re: I think you missed the pointD-M.A. 9/21/04 8:42 a.m.
                             Re: I think you missed the pointAndromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 8:58 a.m.
                                   Re: I think you missed the pointYossarian 9/21/04 9:16 a.m.
                                         Re: I think you missed the pointD-M.A. 9/21/04 10:21 a.m.
                                               Re: I think you missed the pointukimalefu 9/21/04 12:39 p.m.
                                                     Re: I think you missed the pointEnkidu 9/21/04 1:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: I think you missed the pointBob-B-Q 9/21/04 1:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I think you missed the pointdeathmonger 9/21/04 2:31 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I think you missed the pointBrian Wise (Mr. Cactus) 9/21/04 4:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I think you missed the pointForrest of B.org 9/21/04 5:09 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I think you missed the pointAndrew Nagy 9/21/04 7:41 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I think you missed the pointForrest of B.org 9/21/04 10:17 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I think you missed the pointYossarian 9/23/04 12:52 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I think you missed the pointdeathmonger 9/23/04 2:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I think you missed the pointAndromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 4:04 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I think you missed the pointAndrew Nagy 9/21/04 5:54 p.m.
                                               Re: I think you missed the pointForrest of B.org 9/21/04 4:49 p.m.
                                                     Re: I think you missed the pointBrian Wise (Mr. Cactus) 9/21/04 6:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: I think you missed the pointBob-B-Q 9/22/04 3:32 a.m.
           Re: Ignorant IndeedDylan 9/21/04 12:23 p.m.
                 Re: Ignorant IndeedZetor 9/21/04 4:32 p.m.
     Re: Found a very ignorant articleYossarian 9/21/04 6:35 a.m.
           Re: Found a very ignorant articleZetor 9/21/04 4:41 p.m.
     Re: Found a very ignorant articleSiphonopho 9/21/04 10:05 a.m.
     Re: Found a very ignorant articleVid Boi 9/21/04 10:56 a.m.
           Re: Found a very ignorant articleDave 9/22/04 12:20 a.m.
     Re: Found a very ignorant articleWejam the Carter 9/21/04 12:02 p.m.
           Re: Found a very ignorant articleblake37 9/21/04 1:06 p.m.
                 Re: Found a very ignorant articleJacke 9/21/04 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: Found a very ignorant articleAndrew Nagy 9/21/04 1:56 p.m.
           Wanna hear something?Zetor 9/21/04 4:47 p.m.
                 Better a Garden Hose than an MP5SD! *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/21/04 5:32 p.m.
                       Re: Better a Garden Hose than an MP5SD!Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/22/04 2:52 a.m.
                             I've broken that habit. *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/22/04 3:30 a.m.
                 Re: Wanna hear something?Brian Wise (Mr. Cactus) 9/21/04 6:19 p.m.
           Re: Found a very ignorant articleOri 9/21/04 7:44 p.m.
                 LOL *NM*D-M.A. 9/21/04 8:45 p.m.
           Re: Found a very ignorant articleBlayne 9/22/04 7:15 a.m.
                 If life were like a video game...ukimalefu 9/22/04 9:23 a.m.
                       Re: If life were like a video game...Andrew Nagy 9/22/04 12:15 p.m.
                             Re: If life were like a video game...ukimalefu 9/23/04 7:31 a.m.
                             Re: If life were like a video game...Vid Boi 9/24/04 9:40 a.m.
           Re: Found a very ignorant articleVid Boi 9/22/04 1:21 p.m.
                 Re: Found a very ignorant articleAndromeda_5[Kilo] 9/22/04 3:01 p.m.
                       Governator seems to be doing somethingukimalefu 9/23/04 2:43 p.m.
                 Re: Found a very ignorant articleOri 9/23/04 8:04 p.m.
                       Re: Found a very ignorant articleAndromeda_5[Kilo] 9/24/04 9:50 a.m.
                             Re: Found a very ignorant articleAndrew Nagy 9/24/04 4:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Found a very ignorant articleLt Devon 9/27/04 7:46 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.