/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: New VidDoc: "Somewhere In The Heavens"
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 5/25/23 11:43 a.m.

In Response To: New VidDoc: "Somewhere In The Heavens" *LINK* (Chlazza)

: See link.

: Apparently the prize at the end of an ARG, but I don't know the details.

The spambots are posting marathon content! They're bringing their A-game!

And of course, like any company with money will do, they dust off a nostalgic old IP in a way that has no common sense to what the fans believe would naturally move the series forward, complete with a phobic aversion to numbers in the title of a direct sequel (Why call it Space Jam 2 when you can have a mouthful of a subtitle like A New Legacy?)

But you know, the fans already made Rubicon and Eternal. Why do that again? Well, why not? Make Marathon Eternal Rubicon X: Beyond the Absolution (also called Marathon 3 in short) in a 3d engine with Raycasting or whatever you want. I don't care. But this? I'm not even sure if I could call it Marathon's equivalent to Doom 2016 (which I haven't played, and that title also doesn't technically have a number. It's a nonofficial colloquialism like Sonic 2006. Ten years and these sequel namers just didn't learn). I haven't played that, but it pretty much looks like AAA brutal doom. We haven't actually seen anything of this new marathon game yet, but from the sound of what they're talking about this strays far from what the original Marathon was in most ways except being a FPS (and we don't even have confirmation it's in first-person).

It seems like it could've easily been an new IP, like Destiny and Halo were, yet Marathon is so old and doesn't have a big fanbase so are they really trying to capitalize on nostalgic recognition? I guess Halo's been milked dry. I'm honestly surprised they actually said it would be on PC after the AAA consoles they listed off as their first priority to get it on. Ok, if Bungie could have put Marathon on a super nintendo at the time, they would have, but they couldn't because consoles hadn't come far enough yet, even with the NX chip. But still, being a computer game felt like Marathon's natural home.

Where is "Somewhere in the Heavens?" Tau Ceti IV, of course! ...is anybody waiting there?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

New VidDoc: "Somewhere In The Heavens" *LINK*Chlazza 5/24/23 4:58 p.m.
     Re: New VidDoc: "Somewhere In The Heavens"VikingBoyBilly 5/25/23 11:43 a.m.
           Re: New VidDoc: "Somewhere In The Heavens"DuckNextDoor...InChina 5/26/23 1:17 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.