/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenar
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 5/13/23 4:29 p.m.

In Response To: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenario *LINK* (windbreaker)

: It is my pleasure to announce the release of Marathon: Istoria v1.0,
: available now on Lochnits and ModDb.

: Marathon: Istoria is an Aleph One RPG scenario featuring a 10 level
: single-player campaign, seven player classes with active and passive
: abilities, nine brand new spells in addition to your standard weapons,
: on-demand energy cans, the ability to talk to the dead, lootable bodies,
: and more. Istoria makes use of Aleph One's three additional Lua hotkeys to
: allow the player many more options in combat strategies.

: Istoria features new landscapes, new and updated textures, as well as
: textures from Marathon 2 and Infinity. Several enemies display new and
: challenging behaviors through Lua scripting. Levels can be revisited later
: if need be.

: Please note the latest version of Aleph One is required to play. In addition,
: there are 8K landscapes available on the "Extras" page. This
: scenario was developed by W'rkncacnter and myself, with an original
: soundtrack from Jon Irons. Enjoy.

My thoughts so far:

It's interesting to make a Hexenlike Marathon scenario. And it's also a.. doomlike(?), with the colored keys. The original marathon trilogy seemed avid to avoid the "find key, go to door" map formula. What's a key but a glorified button, after all? Well, the hexenlike aspect would be carrying these keys to different maps in the hub where you open up some locked areas, except i'm around 4 maps in and never had a need to backtrack. Why am I calling it backtracking? Because instead of maps connected like hub areas, it's linear like standard marathon.

The one thing I can think of doing is going back to talk to that corpse in map 1 with the yellow crystal I got. The conversation system is pretty neat by the way. It's like re-entering maps was an afterthought, tacked on at the end when the dev got a hit of inspiration: "Oh yeah, I can make maps retain their states, baby!" Does this eventually become more hublike?

The spell system is awkward to get used to, and because I picked the psychokinetic character class, I keep seeing projectiles get thrown in front of me and think there's enemies shooting me from behind, but it's a passive ability that gets boosted with the level up system (So this is really a Hexen II-like, I see). I was really hoping it would be like a disc of repulsion, but instead it's... the mage's icon of the defender reflection? It's not even that since a projectile has to go slightly off to your side.

Operation Tantalus really needs an "X" release with this hub lua scripting.

The new drone behavior is really annoying, and makes hitscan attacks mandatory with them.

Plus: you get to carry canisters. Minus: there's no wall-mounted shield rechargers.
Making healing a limited resource is.... well, it's a design choice. It removes a security net the player always had in PID and Marathon. It's how most FPS games did it, yeah, but most of them had each map made with vidding in mind and on-demand-savescumming. As far as I know, this is the only one with both save areas and non-renewable healing. Idunno how to feel about that.

This is pretty impressive work.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenario *LINK*windbreaker 4/30/23 5:24 p.m.
     Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/1/23 7:27 a.m.
     Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarDuckNextDoor...InChina 5/13/23 4:13 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarWindbreaker 5/16/23 9:42 p.m.
     Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/13/23 4:29 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/15/23 3:00 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarWindbreaker 5/16/23 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/20/23 12:52 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/20/23 1:03 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarW'rkncacnter 5/20/23 1:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.