/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Marathon Eternal 1.2.1 Release Candidate 1 *LINK*
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 8/28/21 2:18 p.m.

Get it here (click "Eternal X 1.2" to expand).

This is not purely a bug fix release; it features new sounds, remastered sounds, and some fairly significant gameplay changes to a few levels in addition to bug fixes. However, the most important change is that it should no longer cause the 32-bit Windows app to run out of memory. (Additionally, and for the same reason, it should load much faster.) It also (hopefully) fixes a few potential lock conditions whereby players could inadvertently render levels impossible to complete, thus requiring them either to use the Lua console to progress or to restart from an earlier saved game.

This is nearly feature-complete; apart from bug fixes, the only change left is that I’m going to change the player’s staff bolts and uncharged fusion cannon shots to activate switches. (Uncharged fusion cannon shots activated switches in 1.2.0, but since players could deactivate some switches that wouldn’t reactivate by hitting them with multiple fusion cannon shots, we disabled this at some point in 1.2.1’s development. However, we determined that this was a fault with the levels and should be fixed on that end, since it’d be possible to deactivate them by tabbing them twice as well; moreover, it’s better for the pace of gameplay for the fusion cannon to activate switches.)

Besides that, we just need testing and bug fixes in order to release 1.2.1 final. If you experience any bugs, let us know here! The biggest priority to fix are game-breaking bugs, such as crashes, inescapable traps, and lock conditions like the ones described above. Smaller bugs may not be fixed until 1.3.

1.3 will still follow, hopefully in a few months, but given how much feature creep it’s experienced, we may not finish it this year. If not this year, then we’ll hopefully have it ready early 2022, though.

I’m in the process of playing through all of 1.2.1 RC1 on Total Carnage; I’ll be posting my films to a YouTube playlist as I encode them. You can use these to preview the gameplay or as references in case you get stuck.

Enjoy!

Marathon Eternal Development Page

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Eternal 1.2.1 Release Candidate 1 *LINK*Aaron Freed 8/28/21 2:18 p.m.
     Marathon Eternal 1.2.1 Release Candidate 2 *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/7/21 1:49 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.