/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Pathways into Darkness spiritual successor?
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 2/2/20 7:39 a.m.

I've recently been playing a lot of this game, thanks to that video. Civvie mentions that it's like if Rise of the Triad on the Wolf 3D engine was a looter shooter, but I think it's more Pathways into Darkness on steroids, coupled with the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Granted, Nightmare Reaper is semi-linear as opposed to PID being exploration based, but it does give me vibes of how Pathways would handle its RPG elements if it was made today:

It has a clear use for the treasure you find other than just bonus points, the early levels in the caves have a PID feel to them, minus the fact they're missing the curved corners, there's a levelling system that can define which guns you can use (though no stats for proficiency sadly) and some cool rare Easter eggs mixed into its secrets. it is missing the XP system from PID as its been merged with the treasure though.

Personally, I think that while it's a little more action oriented compared to Pathways into Darkness, Nightmare Reaper is the closest thing I can think of if it got an HD remake, and not one with just excellent atmosphere, level design and storytelling, juxtaposed against half-assed gameplay and monster design like Pathways Redux for Doom 3.

That or it looks like Pathways into Darkness's counterpart to Rise of the Triad. What do you guys think? Does it look like PID material?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.