/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead box
Posted By: xcaliburDate: 1/31/19 7:16 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead box (W'rkncacnter)

Looks like you slipped in before I added my addendum. oh well, not a big deal.

: Eh, I don't really consider using your knife "difficult" in any
: way, other than simply knowing to actually do it. If you don't know to use
: your knife, you'll screw yourself over later and have to start all over,
: which is one major problem with the game. Oh well.

: I guess my thoughts are: 1) If you're going to play the game on TC, you're
: not looking for a particularly authentic experience.
: 2) If you're going to play the game on TC, you probably don't mind amping the
: action up a little and skipping the slower paced knife fights.

I don't see the knife as difficult, exactly, but the Walther P4 is a more effective weapon. The early game is all about stabbing headlesses, shooting zombies, and freezing phantasms. It's designed so that if you shoot headlesses routinely, you'll run out of ammo. That is a problem if you don't know better, but it's also part of the vanilla balance.

: Pretty sure. To be clear, I'm talking about Total Carnage here, which causes
: the delay in between attacks to get shortened significantly.

: In the original I can just hold down the key and it works 99% of the time
: against headlesses and ghouls. Aleph One doesn't allow you to skip part of
: any animations, so I don't know how anything could be faster than holding
: the button down. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I find that repeatedly pressing the key (with the right timing) is more effective against ghouls than holding it down.

: Interestingly, I don't have any trouble using my knife against ghouls in TC,
: just headlesses.

then it might be an issue with how headlesses are designed.

: My main priority is that the game matches the original as close as possible
: on Normal difficulty. Assuming I have the timing right of everything on
: Normal, I don't really have much say in how things get sped up in TC. That
: logic is built into the engine. I could maybe uncheck the
: "alien" checkbox for headlesses so they don't scale up with
: difficulty, but I kind of feel like that would defeat the purpose of
: playing on TC in the first place.

Ensuring the accuracy of Normal difficulty is the correct priority. If you have to make sacrifices elsewhere to maintain that, I'd say that's understandable. Given that, and TC being unusual by its nature, then giving plentiful Walther ammo in TC makes sense. There are a number of ways to offset this and maintain high difficulty.

: Feel free to try it yourself and double check that I got the timing of things
: right when I release this. I can't say for certain everything is 100%
: accurate. This will probably be publicly available in a week or two.

: I think I'll wait to see if anyone plays this, and if they do, I'd be open to
: suggestions of what could be improved in terms of how to improve the
: difficulty levels. Your ideas aren't bad, but I'm not motivated at this
: time to really make changes, since I'm 99% sure no one will even play this
: thing. I mostly ported it for myself.

: I'm not really willing to take liberties with the game, but it may be
: possible for people to make plugins for changes like this.

I appreciate your efforts. My thinking is that, since you have to work with multiple difficulty levels, it's an opportunity to do more with the game and at least create something of novelty value.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:09 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:31 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7General-RADIX 1/19/19 3:43 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:47 a.m.
     I escaped the pyramid without a lead box *NM*VikingBoyBilly 1/21/19 11:06 a.m.
           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/21/19 11:41 a.m.
                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/21/19 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/22/19 8:43 a.m.
                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 9:53 a.m.
                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 10:47 a.m.
                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 11:17 a.m.
                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 11:42 a.m.
                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 12:31 p.m.
                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 12:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 1:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 8:13 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 8:41 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 6:28 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 7:17 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 7:18 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 7:17 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 2:07 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 2:50 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 7:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/24/19 1:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxtreellama 1/24/19 7:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Need a light?VikingBoyBilly 1/24/19 4:13 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 7:40 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/24/19 1:13 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/24/19 8:28 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/25/19 12:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/25/19 8:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/25/19 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/25/19 2:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/27/19 6:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/27/19 8:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/27/19 9:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 5:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/31/19 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 7:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/31/19 7:36 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 7:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/1/19 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 11:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/1/19 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 2:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/2/19 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/2/19 2:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/2/19 4:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/2/19 5:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/3/19 5:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/3/19 6:34 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 10:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 10:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/3/19 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 4:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 6:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/4/19 1:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 6:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 7:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/4/19 2:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 4:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxForrest of B.org 2/4/19 6:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 8:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/5/19 4:11 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/5/19 7:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 10:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 6:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/5/19 2:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 5:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/5/19 11:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 1:14 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 6:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 5:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 5:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/7/19 7:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/9/19 5:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 11:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 7:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/7/19 1:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/10/19 2:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 4:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/10/19 4:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/10/19 4:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 5:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 9:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/4/19 2:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/5/19 10:03 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/9/19 5:21 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 11:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 11:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 2:01 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/4/19 3:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: AO PID differencesAndrew Nagy 1/16/20 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: AO PID differencesW'rkncacnter 1/17/20 3:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: AO PID differencesAndrew Nagy 1/18/20 4:33 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: AO PID differencesW'rkncacnter 1/18/20 5:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 6:48 p.m.
                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 1/22/19 12:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.