/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 11/16/17 1:20 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 (scratskinner)

: Look on the bright side: this could be happening after you've scripted,
: filmed, and broadcast (so to speak - substitute process for other media as
: you please) everything else.

Yeah, that's a large part of why I'm working from the top down. I want to make sure the big picture makes general sense before I spend a bunch of time filling in details.

: And for what it's worth, my internal Contradict-O-Meter hasn't gone off quite
: yet. Which particular little things are giving you grief?

I'm glad it's not as noticeable as it seems to me. It's not so much contradictions as "why don't they just..." kind of complaints, and Superman-type problems. In these latest installments:

Why wouldn't they just immediately seal off whatever wormholes necessary to contain the Demons? (I guess they must be using the "penetrator" technique that the Berol used, getting their metaphorical feet in the door so it can't be closed on them?)

Why could Tom and Xiu's magic bodies just be destroyed like that, but attacks on the Demons don't slowly reduce their numbers? (Maybe Tom and Xiu couldn't defend themselves because it was a sneak attack on them, but the Demons can? Maybe they are being destroyed, but since they control the facilities where bodies are made now, they can just make new bodies as need be? But then sealing off the portal from Sol should eventually do the trick...)

How exactly can the Queen control the Demons in the real world, e.g. to keep them from just destroying Virtuality in their rage? (She can corral them with Darklight in Virtuality, and I guess she could "unplug" the ones that disobey in reality maybe? That wouldn't give her the ability to make them make more magic bodies or anything technical like that, since they're just mindless rage monsters even if she can put them on a leash.)

If the Demons are remote-controlling their magical bodies from within Virtuality, how are they spreading across the galaxy? Lightspeed communication is a limitation. (Unless it's not? The magical nanites are capable of FTL communication with each other, so I guess they could be in FTL communication with Virtuality too?)

I originally envisioned what eventually became the Demons as a kind of grey goo scenario (except more like black smoke instead), consuming the universe to make more and more of themselves, which lead to the catastrophe that requires entropy-defeating magic technology to overcome (if you fight that kind of fire with fire you just burn down the whole world, so you need some kind of un-burning counter-weapon), but now with them as just magical projections of individual beings what the hell exactly is going on with them consuming the universe for power now? The Queen could let them actually download into their magical bodies and replicate in the real world and make an actual grey goo scenario, which would fit with her omnicidal objectives, but then for story purposes just killing Xio wouldn't fix that, so what's my excuse for why she doesn't just do that, but how can that excuse still permit a grey-goo-like scenario except with that single point of failure in Xio?

Keius Meij has previously, in his very first story, telepathically manipulated people across the whole galaxy, and Amouch has done similar in his stories, and Keius has even manipulated people's nanites over those kinds of ranges (albeit through individuals he had already manipulated being in proximity to the new people being manipulated), so why does anyone need to go visit Niarba to talk to Keius or get special powers from him, why can't he just telepathically turn everyone in the galaxy into entropy-defying wizards and make them defeat the demons and then take their powers away again? Why didn't he do that to stop Kron et al in the first place? Or to stop the Berol, either in the second war or way back in the first one? The only answer I have is "because that would make a shitty story", like having Superman solve all problems by turning back time a day and nabbing the bad guy out of bed the night before the crime. But in-story, why not?

: Whatever the quality of your writing, you're actually putting effort in to
: keep doing it, and that is something generally to be encouraged. (And you
: could do worse - it's certainly a far cry from what you originally had
: planned for the end of Eternal.)

I'm not sure which "original" ending you're thinking of, since there've been so many. Was one of them particularly bad? (Is the current one bad? I thought some people hated it...)

: Did you have fun writing Virtuality Transcendent, at least while writing it?
: You mentioned you'd been looking forward to it all this time.

Yeah I did, although I also felt a little disappointed in myself there, like there just wasn't as much substance to that really cool idea I wanted to write as I originally thought there was. I kinda feel that way about a lot of the Chronicles actually. When I started this project I expected I would mostly be writing down stuff that I already had in my head, but more and more I've been realizing how little I actually had in my head, besides broad gestures with all the details just kinda implicit and "obvious". I've ended up thinking up more new stuff while "writing down 20 years of thoughts" than I actually thought up in those 20 years, and a lot of it just feels like filler. (Although there are still a lot of details I came up with over that time that I've only skimmed over for this phase, e.g. the different sapient primitives on Asira are all fleshed out, as well as a lot of nonsapient wildlife, because those were all to be units in that first game design that started all of this off). Basically all of the Otherworld, Nurbal, and Resurgent stuff was written from whole cloth as I went through it, having only the vaguest ideas for what generally happens in those parts of those story before I sat down to write this summary.

: And what other bits did you have particular fun with?

I really enjoyed writing Pantheon Genesis. That was always one of my favorite parts of the story. It was also really easy because it's basically taking a bunch of existing stories from real world mythologies, giving them sci-fi explanations, and tying them together.

: This is supposed to be
: a legend for a farther future, right? What's the little
: half-Vampire/half-Berol/half-Minded-World tyke most look forward to when
: story time rolls around?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/24/17 10:00 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 4:53 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 10:26 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:06 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 11:31 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:37 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/25/17 8:45 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 9:47 p.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/25/17 10:53 p.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:36 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva — MMOSsCan-ned Food 8/26/17 7:40 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/26/17 5:10 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/27/17 8:01 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/27/17 1:13 p.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/27/17 6:22 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaCan-ned Food 8/26/17 6:36 p.m.
     Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/6/17 9:45 p.m.
           Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/7/17 8:28 p.m.
                 Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1scratskinner 9/7/17 9:24 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/7/17 9:50 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal ColonyCan-ned Food 9/8/17 1:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Colonyirons 9/15/17 2:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal ColonyForrest of B.org 9/18/17 1:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Colonyirons 9/19/17 2:11 p.m.
                 Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/8/17 8:59 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3General-RADIX 9/8/17 9:59 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/8/17 10:44 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/9/17 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/9/17 8:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/9/17 3:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/9/17 3:56 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/11/17 4:00 p.m.
                                                     Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/15/17 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 3:11 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/12/17 10:12 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 1General-RADIX 9/12/17 11:17 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/13/17 10:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/14/17 9:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 2:35 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Enemy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 10:28 p.m.
                                                     Re: Nurbal Enemy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/20/17 7:48 p.m.
                                                           Columbia Resurgent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/3/17 9:15 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/4/17 9:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/5/17 9:32 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/10/17 9:57 p.m.
                                                                                   Terra Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/11/17 9:36 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Terra Resurgent: Part 2scratskinner 10/12/17 12:22 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Terra Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/12/17 12:24 p.m.
                                                                                         Terra Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/12/17 9:31 p.m.
                                                                                               Sol Resurgent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/17/17 10:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Sol Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/18/17 10:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           Sol Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/19/17 9:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Sol Resurgent: Part 3scratskinner 10/19/17 10:45 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sol Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/19/17 11:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Virtuality Transcendent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/30/17 10:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Virtuality Transcendent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/31/17 9:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/1/17 9:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3scratskinner 11/7/17 9:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/7/17 9:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Virtuality Incarnate: Part 1Forrest of B.org 11/7/17 9:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Virtuality Incarnate: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/8/17 8:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Virtuality Incarnate: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/9/17 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Virtuality Immanent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 11/14/17 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/15/17 9:03 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/16/17 1:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/16/17 1:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/17/17 2:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 4:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 5:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 10:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2VikingBoyBilly 11/18/17 2:35 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Eternal stuffVikingBoyBilly 11/20/17 2:27 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/20/17 6:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/20/17 8:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/20/17 9:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Eternal stuffVikingBoyBilly 11/22/17 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/22/17 3:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffnevets01 11/25/17 4:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffPerseusSpartacus 11/25/17 10:14 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/26/17 9:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/26/17 10:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/18/17 3:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 3cscratskinner 11/22/17 7:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 3cForrest of B.org 11/22/17 9:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2General-RADIX 11/18/17 6:37 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2General-RADIX 11/20/17 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/16/17 9:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3scratskinner 11/17/17 12:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3General-RADIX 11/17/17 7:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 12:35 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 3:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 6:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 10:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3nevets01 11/17/17 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       The Chronicles of Quelouva are DONE! (ish)Forrest of B.org 12/29/17 8:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva are DONE! (ish)General-RADIX 12/30/17 1:47 a.m.
     some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/9/17 12:29 a.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/9/17 8:40 a.m.
                 Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/10/17 2:19 a.m.
                       Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/11/17 9:35 a.m.
                             Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/12/17 5:14 p.m.
                                   Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/12/17 6:24 p.m.
                                         Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/14/17 7:53 p.m.
                                               Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/14/17 10:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/16/17 11:01 a.m.
                                                           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/16/17 2:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/17/17 12:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/18/17 8:10 a.m.
                             Re: some random thoughts 2bscratskinner 9/16/17 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: some random thoughts 2bForrest of B.org 9/16/17 2:58 p.m.
                                         Re: some random thoughts 2bscratskinner 9/17/17 12:31 p.m.
                                               Re: some random thoughts 2bForrest of B.org 9/18/17 7:41 a.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/11/17 3:37 p.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/14/17 1:55 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 9/11/17 8:02 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 9/28/17 9:43 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 9/30/17 1:11 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/2/17 9:56 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/7/17 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/9/17 3:14 p.m.
                                   Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/17/17 6:38 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/17/17 8:23 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaTycho 10/22/17 4:14 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvanevets01 10/23/17 7:42 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/23/17 10:41 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/26/17 10:49 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/27/17 1:34 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/27/17 8:32 a.m.
     Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*scratskinner 11/9/17 10:50 p.m.
           Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*Forrest of B.org 11/10/17 8:39 a.m.
                 Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*scratskinner 12/21/17 12:48 p.m.
                       noticed you've updated while doing some factchecksscratskinner 12/21/17 2:26 p.m.
                       Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*Forrest of B.org 12/21/17 3:48 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 11/22/17 12:18 p.m.
           Future Perfect expandedForrest of B.org 11/29/17 10:00 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/7/17 9:30 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 12/7/17 9:43 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/7/17 10:24 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 12/8/17 7:22 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/9/17 8:19 a.m.
                                   Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/13/17 9:10 a.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 12/13/17 3:18 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaYossarian 12/15/17 9:58 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 12/16/17 1:22 p.m.
                                               Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/18/17 12:56 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.