/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Physics quandry
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 7/10/16 9:30 a.m.

I was thinking if it was possible to switch the physics system of M1A1 for Marathon 1 from the Aleph One version.

The intended end result should be (if only the right files are copied/moved) leaving the base scenario, lighting etc. of M1A1 intact, but with the movement speed of Marathon 1 and de-nerfing grenade jumping/climbing and TOZT jet packing.

It should still allow for modern Aleph One features like all the "eye candy" effects and proper liquids.

Don't get me wrong, even though I don't dislike the hotplate polygons in Marathon 1 and Doom 4 due to better execution than other games like Doom 2 or Tomb Raider 1, I actually like the shimmering effect M1A1's liquid/hotplate combination has with Transparent liquids on.

Admittedly the effect looks much prettier with the old textures and doesn't work so well in deep pools like the three deep ones in Try Again because the walls break the illusion.

Having animated lava textures on the walls under the surface only might have helped there.

This idea for a physics model could also be set up as a plugin in the other Marathon games and user scenarios to make better use of Grenade climbing for secrets.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.