/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon speedrunning
Posted By: aperturegrillzDate: 6/30/16 2:18 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon speedrunning (Martin)

: A good watch, and I like that you did commentary too, good multitasking! The
: Blasphemy and Bob-B-Q shortcuts in particular were crazy to see in
: practice. That Bob-B-Q lift jump was another one made really difficult by
: lag back in the day.

Thanks -- I've gotten used to doing commentary while playing from streaming a lot of Tetris the Grand Master, an arcade game I play. You can tell that I have trouble holding a train of thought, though, because I'm trying to focus on playing. I frequently start some sentence, get distracted midway through because I have to pay attention to the game, then completely forget what I was saying :P

: Surprising you were still quite a way off the time of the other you linked,
: and that he still made costly mistakes; maybe 29 mins wouldn't be out of
: the question based on that, no pressure ;).

I would love sub-30 minutes :) it's going to be pretty tough, though. If you compare our splits, the time I lose is pretty spread out across the levels, except for Colony Ship, where I lost nearly 2 minutes because I had to retry the pillars climb. My Sum Of Best is 33:28 which should be pretty doable given the nature of the game, and I think even my best splits on a lot of levels are not very optimized.

: TC really is going to be
: another story though, especially for elimination levels - especially for
: Try again!

I think Try Again will actually be pretty doable because there's not a lot of close-quarters fighting, you have easy access to 3X shields, and there's a ton of ammo available for your strongest weapons. Also, the Juggernaut AI on TC is weird, they seem to actually be less accurate with their rockets than on lower difficulties.

: Finally, the Wasps really are incredibly annoying, even on Kindergarten!

Yes, yes they are. Lookers too. I don't mind at all that they didn't revive those enemies for M2.

I discovered a few other things about the game recently which are... interesting.

One is that all the shots in the game have semi-random damage - they have some base value, and then a random additional amount of damage. For instance, a grenade does 80 base damage plus up to 20 more (one bar of health is 150 points). From experimentation, it appears that the amount of knockback a shot does is proportional to how much damage it dealt, which means that how much height you get from a grenade jump is actually semi-random! This helps explain why the Colony Ship climb is hard to do consistently.

The other thing I found out is that, according to the Pfhorte Handbook (I need to test this myself), 'Extermination' levels can be completed with up to 8 enemies left alive on the map. This explains why I've been able to finish The Rose and Pfhoraphobia without actually killing everything. Unfortunately, the spawns on each level are semi-random so I think it'll be hard to fully exploit this.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/23/16 8:24 p.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningMartin 6/23/16 10:12 p.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningCody Miller 7/22/16 10:19 a.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningVikingBoyBilly 6/24/16 1:33 a.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningXaleManix 6/24/16 5:32 a.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/24/16 6:43 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon speedrunningXaleManix 6/24/16 7:55 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon speedrunningPerseusSpartacus 6/27/16 6:23 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon speedrunningXaleManix 6/27/16 5:02 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/27/16 6:47 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon speedrunningMartin 6/27/16 7:59 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/27/16 9:58 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon speedrunningMartin 6/28/16 12:25 p.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon speedrunningVikingBoyBilly 6/28/16 3:55 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon speedrunningCody Miller 7/22/16 10:24 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon speedrunningCody Miller 7/22/16 10:21 a.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningDispatcher 6/24/16 3:13 p.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/27/16 11:09 a.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/27/16 11:38 a.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/28/16 6:04 p.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningMartin 6/29/16 10:49 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 6/30/16 2:18 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon speedrunningCody Miller 8/1/16 10:41 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 8/1/16 3:13 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon speedrunningVikingBoyBilly 8/1/16 3:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon speedrunningMartin 8/2/16 2:08 p.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 7/3/16 12:59 a.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningMartin 7/3/16 2:22 p.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 7/30/16 5:03 p.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningtbcr 7/21/16 8:46 a.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningtbcr 8/4/16 9:26 p.m.
           Re: Marathon speedrunningtbcr 8/6/16 9:46 p.m.
     Re: Marathon speedrunningaperturegrillz 2/12/17 11:26 a.m.
           Re: Pathways Into Speedrunningaperturegrillz 2/12/17 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: Pathways Into SpeedrunningDeChief 2/16/17 2:24 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.