/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eat The Path terminal speculation -- Part 1
Posted By: MartinDate: 6/9/16 11:28 a.m.

In Response To: Eat The Path terminal speculation -- Part 1 (XaleManix)

I enjoyed this. It rings nicely with the Infinity concepts indeed, and comes very close to one of my own thoughts on this of late, which have come from somewhere else entirely.

I've been playing a lot of Forza, and that allows rewinding time when you crash or venture out into the grass or dirt more than you'd like. But only I have that control, not the AI opponents - what if they mess up? We can't all come out victorious in the one timeline, but if we pick and choose to our best advantage, not only do we assume ultimate power, but we rather rubbish all those other potential timelines in the process.

But Infinity was not the first to have us keep changing events in that manner; we did that every time we respawned to a pattern buffer! There are heaps of scenarios wherein we died; we just never got to see the outcomes of those, and it never seemed like a particularly big deal. In fact I don't think we ever actually felt the consequences of any death, ours or theirs, except when that Hunter pursued us for killing his brother in Tempus Irae.

The Infinity failed endings always felt like things had gone wrong at least partly because we weren't there, but it never felt like other factions had achieved victory. In fact the Pfhor never really seemed to have a grand plan that we were getting in the way of. In M1 it just got confused in the story cuts, while in M2 and Infinity, their role seemed mainly to be reacting to what we did. In Infinity, our time with Tycho showed some semblance of a plan, but it was very short term; he was more just a pest than anything else.

I heard the thing where Elon Musk said recently that it is like a billion to one odds that we exist in true reality rather than in a simulation. We take for granted in games that we will respawn after dying ad nauseum, it's just not something we've ever had the ability to test as humanity, as far as we know. At what point would reality become a moot point, if everyone had their own ability to reset things? And would that lead to everyone else being little more than an AI opponent, in our own personal timeline?

I don't think this thread meant to go quite this far lol, but the maze concept, and your line of everyone having a maze, just struck a chord with me. Whether that's me as dominant in my maze, or simply an AI opponent in yours :).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eat the Path terminal translationLion O Cyborg 6/5/16 5:40 a.m.
     Eat The Path terminal speculation -- Part 1XaleManix 6/8/16 7:36 p.m.
           Well, this is odd...XaleManix 6/8/16 7:40 p.m.
                 Re: Well, this is odd...VikingBoyBilly 6/9/16 1:52 a.m.
                       Re: Well, this is odd...XaleManix 6/9/16 5:06 a.m.
           Re: Eat The Path terminal speculation -- Part 1Lion O Cyborg 6/9/16 9:23 a.m.
           Re: Eat The Path terminal speculation -- Part 1Martin 6/9/16 11:28 a.m.
                 Re: Eat The Path terminal speculation -- Part 1Lion O Cyborg 6/10/16 12:22 a.m.
     Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 2XaleManix 6/10/16 6:05 a.m.
     Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3XaleManix 6/12/16 6:29 a.m.
           Re: Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3Durandal_1707 6/13/16 12:48 a.m.
                 Re: Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3XaleManix 6/13/16 3:37 a.m.
           Re: Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3Lion O Cyborg 6/15/16 6:51 a.m.
                 Re: Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3XaleManix 6/15/16 6:25 p.m.
                       Re: Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3Lion O Cyborg 6/16/16 12:51 a.m.
                             Re: Eat the Path terminal speculation -- Part 3XaleManix 6/16/16 3:34 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.