/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Something odd that occurred to me:
Posted By: XaleManixDate: 6/1/16 6:52 p.m.

I draw my keyboard and pound the switch to compose a post.

Oddly, this is familiar to me, as if it were something from an old dream, but I can't quite place it...

Oh well. On to business:

I noticed something while reading through the story page (Most of it. Facts and Puzzling Things and the Terminal Texts), and something occurred to me, a piece of fridge logic from reading the 'You' section, which hit me somewhere in vicinity of Weapons of Marathon section. Something that, to me, reinforces the fact that you're a Cyborg, right there in the manual, before the game even begins:

You had a childhood on Mars.

How is this evidence? Well, allow me to speculate: According to the Manual section on Civilians, the Marathon's passengers included 1,200 officers (50 Senior Staff+1,150 Officers), plus about 24,000 civilians. Furthermore, some individuals were placed in stasis for the journey, but most people remained awake on board, and it was in fact their descendants who arrived at Tau Ceti to become the Born-on-Boards, aka BoBs.

Given that Stasis chambers would be at a premium, one can imagine that only the most important staffing positions would be placed under stasis: The fifty senior command staff, perhaps a few hundred officers... but, most likely, not a security officer.

Especially given the fact that 24th century Sol-system politics likely meant that the Security staff were most likely in place mostly to protect against mutiny from any discontents among the Martian-sourced population, it seems more than absurd to put the security staff into stasis, where they couldn't do their jobs.

Yet the Security Officer remembers his childhood on Mars.

I posit that, perhaps, the ten cyborgs Strauss mentions in Low-Flying Defense Drones weren't put into stasis, but lived among the generations of BoBs that grew up aboard the Marathon. Approximately 7even generations later, they were likely so thoroughly integrated into the BoB's society that no one even noticed that they'd been hanging around for 300 years. The only entities with the ability to notice would be Leela, Tycho, and Durandal, and perhaps they simply weren't meticulously tracking the awake crew.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Something odd that occurred to me:XaleManix 6/1/16 6:52 p.m.
     Re: Something odd that occurred to me:General-RADIX 6/1/16 8:19 p.m.
           Re: Something odd that occurred to me:XaleManix 6/1/16 8:53 p.m.
                 Re: Something odd that occurred to me:General-RADIX 6/1/16 9:30 p.m.
                       Re: Something odd that occurred to me:XaleManix 6/1/16 9:54 p.m.
                             Re: Something odd that occurred to me:Durandal_1707 6/2/16 1:09 a.m.
                                   Re: Something odd that occurred to me:XaleManix 6/2/16 4:01 a.m.
                             Re: Something odd that occurred to me:General-RADIX 6/2/16 8:05 a.m.
     Re: Something odd that occurred to me:VikingBoyBilly 6/2/16 8:21 a.m.
           Re: Something odd that occurred to me:Bob-B-Q 6/2/16 11:42 a.m.
                 Re: Something odd that occurred to me:XaleManix 6/2/16 11:59 a.m.
                       Re: Something odd that occurred to me:VikingBoyBilly 6/2/16 2:23 p.m.
                             Re: Something odd that occurred to me:XaleManix 6/2/16 2:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Something odd that occurred to me:Hopper 6/3/16 8:47 a.m.
                                         Wouldn't you have to go and find the wheelbarrow? *NM*XaleManix 6/3/16 10:52 a.m.
                                         Re: Something odd that occurred to me:Durandal_1707 6/4/16 10:21 a.m.
           Re: Something odd that occurred to me:Johnnie A. Padgett 6/6/16 9:07 a.m.
                 Re: Something odd that occurred to me:Bob-B-Q 6/7/16 6:35 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.