/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes only
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 3/23/16 8:25 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes only (General-RADIX)

: Knowing that you can hurt the women in this secret level plunges my opinion
: of it from "meh" to "not cool". Couldn't have made
: them invincible?

You can brutally slaughter the defenseless BoBs in M1 just for getting in the way and repeating "they're everywhere" and nobody cares, but when it's bathing girls you can kill, it's suddenly "not cool."

You can kill the pole dancers in Duke Nukem. You and I wouldn't do that, but there might be some sick freak who gets enjoyment out of it.

You can shoot the townspeople in Strife. This will make all the NPCs gang up on you and probably kill you, and if you survive, the game is unfinishable at that point, but you can do it.

Killing those NPCs is a huge inconvenience on top of being a very bad thing, so why not make them invincible?

Most recently, Undertale will let you murder every innocent creature in the game. Doing this gives you a sucky and unfun experience and a bad ending you can never undo, so why even have the Fight button at all? You might not want to hurt them at first, but the next time you play you might be thinking "what happens if I kill them?" The answer is... everyone dies =(

Real life has a rule of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." In video games I prefer having an addage of "just because you shouldn't, doesn't mean you can't." Limiting the player's agency with invisible walls and invulnerable NPCs breaks the immersion and makes the gameplay experience feel less real to me.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyVikingBoyBilly 3/22/16 5:12 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyMartin 3/22/16 6:33 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyPerseusSpartacus 3/24/16 4:12 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyMartin 3/25/16 9:19 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyPerseusSpartacus 3/25/16 10:32 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyVikingBoyBilly 3/25/16 11:59 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyPerseusSpartacus 3/25/16 1:00 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyGeneral-RADIX 3/22/16 8:40 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyTacticus 3/23/16 1:33 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyGeneral-RADIX 3/23/16 8:08 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyVikingBoyBilly 3/23/16 8:25 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyGeneral-RADIX 3/23/16 8:57 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyVikingBoyBilly 3/23/16 12:17 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyMartin 3/23/16 12:25 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyGeneral-RADIX 3/23/16 12:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: For your eyes onlyMartin 3/23/16 7:03 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.