/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: They Lost the Thread of the Story
Posted By: HokutoDate: 10/23/15 12:38 p.m.

In Response To: Re: They Lost the Thread of the Story (Philtron)

: I don't think that, but that would be the interpretation if the Marathon
: "connections" in Destiny are real.

:
: http://db.destinytracker.com/grimoire/enemies/books-of-sorrow/xxxiii-when-do-monsters-have-dreams

: There's the link to the grimoire card "When Do Monsters Have
: Dreams" a pitiful play on the title of "Where Are Monsters In
: Dreams", and if you read the grimoire card you'll see it's written in
: the same style as the dream narrative that begins in "Where Are
: Monsters In Dreams". So, the way it comes off is as though the writer
: was like, "Hmmm, Oryx is having a trippy dream sequence as he
: communes with pure Darkness, I guess I'll arbitrarily copy the dream
: sequence from Marathon."

: However, if you don't take it as arbitrary and you take it as a real
: connection then what this implies is that since the grimoire card is being
: narrated by Oryx that Oryx is essentially the same character as the
: narrator of Marathon's dream levels (whether that be Durandal, the player
: character, or whoever). Then in the last grimoire card, the writer has
: Oryx mimic the "eat the path" dialogue from Marathon, which
: again, if it is a literal connection, suggests that Oryx is essentially
: the same person as the narrator of Marathon's dream levels.

: Then the very last line of the last grimoire Oryx says, "If I fail, let
: me be wormfood," which seems like a reference to "You're
: Wormfood, Dude" the name of a failed timeline in Marathon. And the
: title's statement "you're wormfood" is directed at the player
: character. So, by having Oryx say "i'm wormfood" suggests that
: Oryx is essentially the same person as the player character.

: But like I said, that doesn't really make sense, doesn't fit, and I don't
: believe it because I don't think those references are actually connecting
: the universes. However, if the references are actual connections then
: the above paragraphs would be a correct interpretation.

: Of course everyone is welcome to speculate however they want, but I don't
: think they're part of the story even though they're in the story.

Oh, trust me, I've read all of the Books of Sorrow grimoire cards by now. Those are some of the references that could go either way, for me (as a genuine connection or as easter eggs), but if we read them as actual connections, I don't think they really indicate that Oryx is supposed to be the security officer, but rather that through the influence of the Darkness/Worms/W'rkncacnter, some echoes of the Marathon universe have been passed on and influenced Oryx's own development/image of himself and way of speaking. (Thus implying some similarity between him and the security officer, but not that they're same person.) Certainly Aurash's appearances prior to making a covenant with the Worms don't have these echoes, while several lines in the grimoire cards from the Worms' POV are very noticeable references to lines from Durandal. ... although, partly due to personal biases, I don't think that Durandal becoming part of the W'rkncacnter/Darkness/Worms really fits with his characterization at the end of Infinity (Tycho joining them would make perfect sense, on the other hand, and he is the type to steal his rival's best lines), it's certainly still a possible interpretation, and Darkness/W'rkncacnter!Durandal treating Oryx and sisters like replacement security officers would - not surprise me.

... I really don't get your last line at all; if it's in the story, it IS part of the story (individual interpretations, obviously, not so much). Unless you just want to reject parts of the story, which is something I can sympathize with, but it does make debate and speculation a bit futile if the key parts of the actual canon are being discounted.

Anyway, I don't really want to make it a huge argument; I've just been a bit baffled by getting such negative responses about reasonable and on-topic speculation.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

They Lost the Thread of the Storypoena.dare 10/20/15 7:22 p.m.
     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/21/15 1:58 a.m.
           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/21/15 4:24 a.m.
                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryBob-B-Q 10/21/15 8:12 a.m.
                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/21/15 9:52 a.m.
                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryMartin 10/21/15 12:07 p.m.
                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryBob-B-Q 10/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the Storypoena.dare 10/22/15 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/22/15 3:20 p.m.
                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/22/15 9:33 p.m.
                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/22/15 5:55 p.m.
                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/22/15 5:55 p.m.
                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/23/15 8:46 a.m.
                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/23/15 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/23/15 12:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/23/15 2:41 p.m.
                                                           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/23/15 4:14 p.m.
                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/23/15 6:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/24/15 6:37 a.m.
                                                                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 7:48 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryGodot 10/24/15 7:55 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/24/15 2:03 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryMatt 10/24/15 7:38 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/24/15 9:28 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/24/15 9:33 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/24/15 9:34 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 1:03 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/24/15 2:32 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 1:06 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/24/15 2:00 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 2:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDeChief 10/24/15 6:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the Story *LINK*Dispatcher 10/24/15 6:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/26/15 5:21 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/25/15 4:24 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryGodot 10/25/15 6:41 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/25/15 8:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryMartin 10/25/15 12:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryBob-B-Q 10/25/15 9:44 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/25/15 2:01 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.