/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent Cartographer
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 6/5/15 3:33 p.m.

The Silent Cartographer

Our mission is to find the Halo's control room before the Covenant do, but first, we must find the map to the control room, which is hidden somewhere under this island.

How do the marines and the covenant know this? No freakin clue. The map room is called the Silent Cartographer.

I was wrong when I said fists weren't a weapon. The MC doesn't deem the plasma pistol worthy of melee combat and he'll throw a punch instead =)

So, how many punches in the back does it take to kill a hunter? About five at minimum, but probably 7 for good measure. Hitting them in the back with spiny needlers seems to do less damage. Fists are just that good.

The covenant locked the door to the SC, and Cortana admits she underestimated their understanding of the ring's infrastructure (or in layman's terms, their intelligence). So we have to go find a button in some other structure to unlock the door.

Driving around the island is fun. There's even a little secret cave entrance to the SC building if you don't want to drive the warthog up to it.

It's Quiet...

Why does this earn a subtitle?

Shafted

We absolutely need a little cutscene of the MC kicking a pebble down the shaft beyond all reason to show how very, very deep it is (I assume we can't survive the fall).

I go down a ways, and by the time I run into a hall with two hunters I remembered that I forgot Cortana/Foe Hammer mentioned they summoned heavy weapons for us (I guess that's what the subtitle was for), so I have to climb back out again. As I hoped, it's the SPNKR missile launcher! Shooting a hunter in the back with one kills it outright. As for smacking the other one around with the shaft of my missile (dirty double entendre fully intended), it takes just as many hits as it does with the fist and the needler. So I guess Bungie didn't program any difference in melee damage between the weapons.

We find the map and Cortana sees the control room inside a shrine... somewhere. I don't see it, but apparently it stuck out like a sore thumb to her. Covenant are attacking the island, so it's time to get outta here!

There's intense music, so I think this is supposed to feel like the time attack escape ending of Metroid, except that there's really no hurry at all and we can take our time as we please. A rocket is good for blowing away a group of jackals, but it's not enough to kill a golden elite. S'pht.

We take, in Cortana's words, "an aerial insertion from underground" route to the control room, because the ring is hollow with these underground "honeycombs." Next is Assault on the Control Room, staring with I Would Have Been Your Daddy.

Much faster to make this writeup than last time. I liked this map. It did a good job maintaining an illusion of open design, and we got to see more of what some of the technology inside the ring looks like, which I'm guessing is not covenant design, even though they know how it works.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerVikingBoyBilly 6/5/15 3:33 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerLion O Cyborg 6/6/15 3:22 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerMartin 6/6/15 4:20 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerVikingBoyBilly 6/6/15 8:23 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Silent CartographerMartin 6/6/15 11:29 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerVikingBoyBilly 6/6/15 8:19 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerLion O Cyborg 6/6/15 10:09 a.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 5 — Slent CartographerBob-B-Q 6/6/15 8:27 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.