/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: What we expect in MTA and M4
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 5/22/15 9:12 a.m.

In Response To: Re: What we expect in MTA and M4 (VikingBoyBilly)

: Is this a joke? 'cuz April fools was last month.

: This is so hilariously bad I'm inclined to write this post off as a troll,
: and explaining why each of your demands ar bad point-by-point is a waste
: of bandwidth, but at the same time it feels so realistically stupid, as if
: coming from someone who genuinely has no idea what makes good quality and
: can't tell what's feasible and what isn't, that the rule of thumb is to
: always have low faith in humanity.

: Luckily, some of the points were already addressed by others (including the
: hilarious imagery of battling snowstorms, floods, and heat waves, heh) so
: I'll just give some two cents on what hasn't already been picked apart.

: 0. A jump key is a cheat, and it's just one of those things that goes against
: the 'feel' of Marathon gameplay.

: 1. In case you haven't noticed (in your own example of Shadow the Hedgehog,
: especially), voice acting ruins games. It can be bad in one of two ways:
: boring, or stupid. Given marathon's general aesthetic, it would likely be
: boring. And in a game like Marathon, with all of it's text... just no.
: Plus, thsese terminals are MEANT to be TEXT! This isn't an rpg where the
: characters are actually talking vocally and text windows are just there
: for the player's sake, these literally are voiceless text blocks.
: (mentioning Shadow the Hedgehog is Strike 1 that you may be a troll, by
: the way. Scratch that, thsi is strike 2, after suggesting to reduce
: reliance on grenade hopping by adding a jump button. This is just less
: subtle)

: 2. I don't know about you, but I like the 2.5D fps genre because I prefer the
: look of sprites over 3D models. I may be in a minority, but I think they
: just tend to look better than polygonal 3D models, and it's really only
: the environments that look nice in 3D (mostly for the potential in
: exploration/map design rather than the look, though). 2D sprites can,
: however, be bad, as we've seen from the XBLA HD pack. Complimenting the
: XBLA HD sprites (and demanding that to replace the original) is strike 3
: that you may be a troll.

: 3. Ugh.. strike 3 you're out. I do not want to continue... but giving the
: player actual dialogue? Really? There's a general rule with silent video
: game protagonists that the player is you and you are meant to infer
: everything they're saying and thinking. And with Durandal, there are no
: two-sided conversations. Durandal owns conversations. But really, I'm not
: sure the AIs really expect you to talk back, they just expect you to do
: what they command.

: 4. That M1A1 thing with a floor under the transparrent liquid, with almost
: no difference in height, looked terrible.

: 5. Part of the fun of bobs was how stupid and helpless they were.

: Give lookers backstory? I actually had to think for a second to remember what
: a looker was. They're those exploding tick things, right? They're bugs.
: They're probably not even sentient. What backstory can you give them?
: "Lookers are pets pfhor took either from pfhor prime or some other
: planet to go explodey, and that's it" is their backstory.

: Marathon 4 is silly and unfeasible the way you presented it.

: M1 had good platforming and was fast and smooth? Umm, M1 was slow, weird and
: clunky, and the platforming 'worked' because of the low gravity. Still an
: improvement over modern fps filth.

You're the second butthurt troll I've had to deal with today.

Shadow the Hedgehog is genuinely my favourite Sonic game and I can't stand those MANCHILDREN who do nothing but insult it just because it tried AND SUCCEEDED to be darker and more interesting than the saccharine garbage more recent Sonic games are.

Sonic is not child's game. it is a reflection of whatever people who are playing it growing up. The classic games are their childhood and irresponsibility, the Adventure games their preteens when they start to learn more adult, mature things and Shadow and Sonic 2006 represent their teens and early 20's when they see that humanity is worse than it seems. the addition of Sonic unleashed, Heroes, colors etc. (not necessarily in that order) would be if that player suffered permanent brain damage in their mid to late 20's and lived the next couple of years believing they were the star of a shite 80's animation e.g. captain planet, any marvel/Dc superhero series or every Disney film ever made except for the early Pixar ones like Toy Story before Disney got their greedy mits on them.

Seriously, the internet is clogged with so many popular opinions -notice I didn't say "correct" or "well said", only "popular"- these days that it is hard to make honest points without ungrateful cunts like you dismissing them as deliberate discord intended to annoy everyone else just because THEY AND ONLY THEY don't like that point of view.

If you are offended by my overuse of capitals, it's only because the message poster has no italics button.

A jump key is not a chest. without it, you'd fall straight to the floor. Marathon classic didn't need one because it was 2.5D and coded in such a way that the movement physics were just right for crossing most gaps. Doom's platforming in the vanilla games sucked because you couldn't look up or down so you couldn't judge your jumps and you dropped like a stone rather than slowly hover to the ground. Doom didn't even have grenade jumping either (not proper grenade jumping anyway) so think yourself lucky. GZ Doom and other source ports fixed that problem.

MTA and M4 would need a jump key because they'd be in full 3D where the classic sprint of faith couldn't be coded as easily. In fact, isn't grenade jumping/climbing cheating itself? You need it for secrets but I can just use it to bypass the colony ship staircase lift puzzle or skip all of Cool Fusion after I get the pistol, and in M2 and MI I can cut straight past some ledges like in 6000 feet under or skipping to the exit of Nuke and Pave as it wasn't completely removed.

The reliance of grenade jumping over a jump key would still apply for ledges too far to cross with sprinting or jumping. Just leave it to Bungie to map out how to avoid it breaking the game because I'm no programmer.

Voiceless games do not get ruined by adding voice acting unless the writers and voice actors are really incompetent.

Examples of ruined by voice include Eternam for the awful voice acting in the CD version, Portal because Chell is only mute to avoid giving everyone else whom she doesn't trust the satisfaction of a response, and Metroid other M due to Team ninja destroying Samus' character almost as fast as moral lessons. and even then, moral lessons in media never work; both in the characters targeted by them and IRL; they just piss everyone off.

Improved by voice games include Parallax Software's Descent trilogy, System Shock, The Sonic series (in one or two cases anyway like Shadow or the Japanese version of Sonic X as half the others are more cringeworthy) and Prince of Persia (the sands of time trilogy).

I like 2.5D shooters too but that doesn't mean that full 3D ones look worse. Look at Rise of the triad 2013 or Black Mesa for example. And regarding bad looking sprites, you're only half right:

the XBLA sprites looked good but they fit into Aleph One more smoothly because M2 XBLA was rendered in full 3D and just tried to ape the originals. the older sprites in M2 and MI looked like absolute arse and nowhere near as detailed as the original M1 sprites.

Silent protagonists suck because it makes story progression (in games that have stories like Marathon's) harder to pull off. Wouldn't it be a good twist if the SO actually did talk back to Durandal? Give him something to think about so long as he isn't careless enough to say something that gets him teleported into space.

If a silent protagonist did exist, they would come across as socially awkward and creepy and no one would like them. I don't feel like the hero of the game when playing as one; I feel like a little angry id who lives in his head, yanking on nerve endings and yelling into his cochlea trying to stop him acting like a pillock.

Alright, M1A1's shimmering only looked terrible in the deeper pools on Try Again because you could clearly see the walls through the transparent liquid texture, ruining the illusion it had on levels like Fire!x5 or Welcome to the Revolution. the pools were at least foot puddles. no excuse there but they could at least of tried to have deeper ones without the obviously-faked oversight in Try Again.

Like adding "squishy" lava textures to the walls under the surface like some of the original floors did or some of the pfhor levels in the hallways, with the original textures with different animation on the floor of the pool. maybe they could adjust the transparency of the "liquid surface" layer to make it less obvious. Even a disappointing footbath is better than a painted floor with stove burners hidden underneath. Brutal Doom and Duke Nukem 3D taught us that.

yes that really was part of the fun but I don't want to have to look up the success messages in a map editor and the story page or (shudder) play on kindergarten just to see it and feel more like I'm actually achieving something other than merely postponing the nuking of Tau Ceti IV.

Ok, I see. Not lookers or wasps. they can just be Pfhor pets or Pfhorling pranks weaponised by the adults for their military or something. At least give backstory to Drinniols, Nar and Nebulons. you know, find out WHY no one likes them.

If you don't at least experiment with new ideas no matter how stupid they sound, you might as well play COD.

Ok I agree with you on that last one: Marathon 1 was slow and clunky, but you need to remember that I only speak from experience with Aleph One using the original game's files as I never played Marathon when it first came out. I was only born in time for the second game, and even then I was and still am a windows user. (emulator for PID not included) My first experience with Marathon was in 2012 on the build of M1A1 at the time, because I'd heard of it from Wikipedia and Halo nation and I love Halo, so why not did deeper?.

The original Macintosh game's hardware had terrible resolution, crap computer mice, way less memory than Windows or even the best upgrades to DOS, the interface was confusing and gaming on the mac was a waste of time until Bungie came along and fixed it with Minotaur and PID so of course the platforming of M1 handled like a drunk, moonwalking Doomguy. Plus the sci-fi Magnadoodle HUD from that game didn't help on that era's small monitors and full-screen removed all the HUD elements like the SO took his helmet off.

None of this is a joke. If you can't accept the fact that some people do not think the way you do many others do, you don't have any business on the internet barring reading Wikipedia for research. I should know. I am as arrogant as Durandal and rather judgemental myself but at least I have the courage to admit it.

If anything, the only troll I see in this post is YOU. Grow up.

Ps do not reply to this post because I don't want to hear any more trash talk about my views. I feel well within my rights to report you.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/20/15 6:07 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4 *NM* *LINK*Lion O Cyborg 5/20/15 6:15 a.m.
     Imagine a painting of a horse...Bob-B-Q 5/20/15 6:48 a.m.
           Too bad they couldn't bury Halo, too...Jabberwok 5/21/15 9:32 a.m.
                 Re: Too bad they couldn't bury Halo, too...Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:02 a.m.
           Re: Imagine a painting of a horse...Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 4:52 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Martin 5/20/15 1:37 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 7:01 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Martin 5/21/15 10:59 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4PerseusSpartacus 5/21/15 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:14 p.m.
                             Re: Spank DaddyoPresident People 5/28/15 10:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 12:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Spank DaddyoPerseusSpartacus 5/29/15 7:53 a.m.
                                   Re: Spank DaddyoVikingBoyBilly 5/29/15 2:57 a.m.
                                         Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 9:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Spank DaddyoLion O Cyborg 5/29/15 11:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 8:04 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 7:38 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:18 p.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 1:35 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:57 p.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 5:26 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:26 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 4:47 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 7:27 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 7:03 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 7:25 a.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:29 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/22/15 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 9:29 a.m.
                                   You're twelve years old and what is this? *NM*Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:31 a.m.
                                         I think all involved could stand to ad-hominem a b *NM*cB557 5/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                               Re: I think all involved could stand to ad-hominemcB557 5/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:01 a.m.
                                               Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 11:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 1:46 p.m.
                                                           Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 1:48 p.m.
                                   Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 9:57 a.m.
                                         Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:17 a.m.
                                               Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/22/15 11:52 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 6:03 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/21/15 7:48 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Jabberwok 5/21/15 9:27 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/21/15 11:57 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:23 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 1:29 p.m.
                                   Re: What we expect in MTA and M4PerseusSpartacus 5/21/15 8:11 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 7:16 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/22/15 7:49 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 7:58 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:44 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:19 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 5:17 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 9:12 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:33 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:34 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 10:59 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 11:08 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:43 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:47 a.m.
     What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/24/15 9:06 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/24/15 7:07 p.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleasePhiltron 5/24/15 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/25/15 2:13 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/25/15 7:03 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 9:13 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 8:49 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 8:14 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/25/15 9:04 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/26/15 6:11 p.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/27/15 4:27 a.m.
                                   Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/27/15 6:20 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 7:05 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/26/15 7:43 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 8:47 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/26/15 10:52 a.m.
                                   Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 3:01 p.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rereleasetreellama 5/27/15 7:21 a.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rereleaseukimalefu 5/27/15 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rerelease *LINK*Dispatcher 5/30/15 5:27 a.m.
                                               What I want in a rerelease, spelling corrected.Dispatcher 5/31/15 4:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: What I want in a rerelease, spelling correctedVikingBoyBilly 6/1/15 3:06 a.m.
                                                           Re the Re: What I want in a rereleaseDispatcher 6/1/15 3:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Re the Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 6/2/15 3:43 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseBob-B-Q 5/27/15 8:43 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/27/15 9:00 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseBob-B-Q 5/27/15 9:47 a.m.
                                   VRukimalefu 5/27/15 11:50 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.