/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: What we expect in MTA and M4
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 5/22/15 7:03 a.m.

In Response To: Re: What we expect in MTA and M4 (Philtron)

: I agree with everything cB557 said. Very well put.

: It's important to note that in any Marathon remake the most important thing
: to preserve would be FEEL and TONE.

: Mo

vement needs to feel fast and SMOOTH, like Marathon and unlike a lot of
: modern FPSs. Using weapons needs to feel quick, smooth, and simple.
: Visuals should feel bright and clean, not dark and gritty.

: And the tone of gameplay should be one that doesn't take itself too
: seriously. Grenade jumping and flame floating don't need to be preserved
: perfectly, but the whimsical, unrealistic TONE should be preserved. Guns
: shouldn't be realistic, they should be fun and powerful and feel awesome
: to use. : That being said, I disagree with a lot of what you suggest, Lion O Cyborg.
: I'm not going to nitpick every point, but here's just a few things: First,
: the main character is NOT NAMED MARCUS. Eternal and Rubicon ARE NOT CANON.
: They're fan mods and fan fic.

: Second, NO, the story should ABSOLUTELY NOT follow the story of Eternal and
: Rubicon because, 1) THEY ARE NOT CANON, 2) their stories are kind of
: shitty anyway (I don't care if I'm in a minority with that opinion).

: Third, as cB557 said, there shouldn't be boss battles. Battles simply do not
: fit into Marathon's style of game design. Marathon is about sliding
: through winding complex environments, fighting numerous enemies with
: tactically different weapons. Marathon IS NOT about sitting in one room
: with one enemy for minutes at a time, learning a pattern, and then doing
: that pattern over and over and over and over...

: But ultimately, the most important thing to remember is the quote Bob-B-Q
: posted. It's better to let Marathon be the old Marathon that we few
: loyalists still play and love. Jason Jones and Bungie should move onto
: something different rather than digging up old corpses.

Just because something can be entirely unchanged doesn't mean it should. oh sure we actually do need feel and tone. you're right there but the cyborg can't go unnamed forever; it just makes the protagonist boring.

Fast and smooth movement and fun weapons are required yes, but sprinting from ledge to ledge shouldn't be done all the time as MTA and M4 will be full 3D which can't easily support Vulcan/A1's sprint of faith as cleanly, so a jump key will help.

Bright and clean visuals are required too unless that particular level is meant to have a dark oppressive setting(the level, not the whole game), I never said anything otherwise. the classic mode should also be the A1 texture replacement packs and either the original M1 sprites or the XBLA sprites because the original visuals of everything else looked like someone tried to build their favourite Lego creations with sheets of used toilet paper.

You're right about the whimsical tone. I'm not a level designer, I've only drawn 2.5D maps on paper (at some points they're top down 2D, other times side on 3D due to my awful drawing skills actually helping me for once) levels from different games I'd like to see so I don't know how to go about making levels feel right. Surreal levels like dream sequences I might have a fighting chance at by just copying dreams I have myself into Aleph One of the TRLE, or trying to think of whatever metaphoric scenarios I can. but then again, everyone can do that.

Eternal and Rubcion are non canon but they're the closest thing to a canon game than Marathon evil and Tempus Irae. Since people know more about Doom than they do marathon, there aren't that many shitty fan maps or troll maps for Marathon so the good ones like Eternal stand out more, especially if they at least try to stay true to the original games while exploring newer twists like Eternal's looping time travel system and the personification of Hathor as the anti-cyborg, Rubicon's "plank" system or Tempus' renaissance Italy setting.

Boss battles are not supposed to be "one enemy with a pattern you learn and grind" they're supposed to be unique, harder enemies unlike the main ones who may or may not have a pattern that you can kill as a story element and they are meant to be a final exam for everything the player has done leading up to it.

Like the NME from ROTT, you can repeat your pattern all you want but it kicks our asses anyway due to the level design of the arena and the boss' coding. In the original ROTT, other robot enemies are present too like invincible ballistkraft guarding your health and some of the ammo, adding more enemies besides the boss to worry about unless you kill the sentries first and try to beat the NME with only what you find in the main room and the secret behind the boss' spawn point.

If you want something akin to Marathon classic's style of "boss" for want of a better word, you'd be better off making a Doom mod where you fight a billion Cyberdemons in the penultimate level with only a chaingun and berserk pack, then run around on painted hotplates in the next one, dealing with Imps and zombie sergeants while friendly Cacodemons get in your way in tight hallways and mazes with the final act being shooting a Romero head once to get a red keycard after a doazen or so lost souls before using it to find a blue key that opens the exit switch.

And lastly: Marathon is only an old corpse because Bungie smothered it in its crib. They do need to make original games but they still need to come back to older ones that their oldest fans like and reintroduce them to a new audience.

Marathon 2 win95 doesn't count because it's crap and neither does Marathon 2 XBLA because Freeverse never made a Marathon 1 and Infinity port nor popular mods being added as extras. I don't care if they can't port Marathon 1 to a console or not, M2 has far too many ports and all M1 and MI have is the iOS port and their release on that shitty "pippen" thing.

Don't bother replying to this as judging from YOUR tone, you came across as a butthurt asshole. Go troll someone else on a completely different forum and leave the rest of us in peace.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/20/15 6:07 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4 *NM* *LINK*Lion O Cyborg 5/20/15 6:15 a.m.
     Imagine a painting of a horse...Bob-B-Q 5/20/15 6:48 a.m.
           Too bad they couldn't bury Halo, too...Jabberwok 5/21/15 9:32 a.m.
                 Re: Too bad they couldn't bury Halo, too...Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:02 a.m.
           Re: Imagine a painting of a horse...Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 4:52 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Martin 5/20/15 1:37 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 7:01 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Martin 5/21/15 10:59 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4PerseusSpartacus 5/21/15 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:14 p.m.
                             Re: Spank DaddyoPresident People 5/28/15 10:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 12:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Spank DaddyoPerseusSpartacus 5/29/15 7:53 a.m.
                                   Re: Spank DaddyoVikingBoyBilly 5/29/15 2:57 a.m.
                                         Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 9:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Spank DaddyoLion O Cyborg 5/29/15 11:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 8:04 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 7:38 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:18 p.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 1:35 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:57 p.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 5:26 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:26 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 4:47 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 7:27 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 7:03 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 7:25 a.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:29 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/22/15 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 9:29 a.m.
                                   You're twelve years old and what is this? *NM*Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:31 a.m.
                                         I think all involved could stand to ad-hominem a b *NM*cB557 5/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                               Re: I think all involved could stand to ad-hominemcB557 5/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:01 a.m.
                                               Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 11:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 1:46 p.m.
                                                           Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 1:48 p.m.
                                   Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 9:57 a.m.
                                         Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:17 a.m.
                                               Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/22/15 11:52 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 6:03 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/21/15 7:48 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Jabberwok 5/21/15 9:27 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/21/15 11:57 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:23 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 1:29 p.m.
                                   Re: What we expect in MTA and M4PerseusSpartacus 5/21/15 8:11 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 7:16 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/22/15 7:49 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 7:58 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:44 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:19 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 5:17 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 9:12 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:33 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:34 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 10:59 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 11:08 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:43 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:47 a.m.
     What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/24/15 9:06 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/24/15 7:07 p.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleasePhiltron 5/24/15 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/25/15 2:13 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/25/15 7:03 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 9:13 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 8:49 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 8:14 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/25/15 9:04 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/26/15 6:11 p.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/27/15 4:27 a.m.
                                   Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/27/15 6:20 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 7:05 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/26/15 7:43 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 8:47 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/26/15 10:52 a.m.
                                   Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 3:01 p.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rereleasetreellama 5/27/15 7:21 a.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rereleaseukimalefu 5/27/15 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rerelease *LINK*Dispatcher 5/30/15 5:27 a.m.
                                               What I want in a rerelease, spelling corrected.Dispatcher 5/31/15 4:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: What I want in a rerelease, spelling correctedVikingBoyBilly 6/1/15 3:06 a.m.
                                                           Re the Re: What I want in a rereleaseDispatcher 6/1/15 3:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Re the Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 6/2/15 3:43 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseBob-B-Q 5/27/15 8:43 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/27/15 9:00 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseBob-B-Q 5/27/15 9:47 a.m.
                                   VRukimalefu 5/27/15 11:50 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.