/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

New open-source Unreal Tournament
Posted By: ukimalefuDate: 5/8/14 1:23 p.m.

Epic announced that work on a new game, simply titled Unreal Tournament, begins today for PC, Mac, and Linux, and the process will heavily involve participation from the modding and player community from the get go.

While a "small team of UT veterans" at Epic will be spearheading the development of the game, everything from design decisions to art direction will primarily "happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans, and [Unreal Engine 4] developers," Epic says. The developers are inviting everyone from regular players to experienced modders from sites like Polycount to sign up at the Unreal Engine forums and use an official wiki to take direct part in driving the game's direction.

Epic says it will be "many months" until the game is in any sort of playable state, but when it is playable it "will be free. Not free to play, just FREE." Source code will be made available directly from GitHub as it is updated, and modders will even be able to fork their own builds if they want to take the project in a new direction.

So, I know it's not easy, I know it takes a lot of time, I'm not saying it will happen. I'm just saying I'd like it to happen, and it could happen. That "new direction" could be a Marathon direction.

I just hope I have a computer capable of playing whatever comes out of this by the time it gets done. If it gets done.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.